It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• pneumonia????????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2002, 06:48 PM   #1
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Unhappy pneumonia????????

Hi everyone, I was cleaning my kitchen the other day and was using ammonia like I always do but I usually wear a mask, I was in a hurry and forgot to put on the mask and accidently got a big whiff of it. It made me cough and started to gag. A few minutes later I was back to normal, about a day and a half later, The left side of my throat started hurting and I thought I was getting strep or something but the next day my chest started hurting and started getting headaches. My chest feels really tight and it's hard to breathe. I was wondering what are the symptoms of pneumonia and can inhaling ammonia cause that? I don't want to go to the doctor unless I have to. Please respond thanks!! Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
    bjpan

bjpan HB User
    Exclamation

HI Becky.....
    I had a lung transplant 3 years ago and if I know anything, it's that you don't mess around when it comes to your lungs. I would definately see a doctor. Before I got my transplant I used a lot of household cleansers and had no exhaust fan in the bathroom and would have to leave in the middle of cleaning to catch my breath outside!
    Protect your lungs! Even with a transplant I only have a 50% chance of living 5 years, though there are a lot of people that are making it much longer. I'm hoping I will be one of them. I am 51, but I know people who are having transplants a lot younger.
    Please, if you are still having problems, go check it out....................Sincerely,
    Betty

Old 11-17-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Angry

Hi Betty, Sorry to hear about your lungs. I hope you are one of those people who live longer too.
    I went to the doctor thursday 11/14/02. The doctor listened to my chest and looked in my throat and said it sounded like there was fluid in my lungs and my throat was infected and said he thinks I have a cold. He gave me a prescription of naselnex(MSP) then sent me home. I was thinking about seeing another doctor because he didn't even do an x-ray. Could a cold cause fluid in the lungs? My chest has been feeling so tight, like theres something in it and I've been short of breath. Should I get a second opinion? Thanks for your input. Becky

Old 11-18-2002, 01:45 PM   #4
    Jseiple

Jseiple HB User
    HI
    I had pneumonia a year ago. For me, i would cough to the point of puking. I had pain in my lung area. Its easy to see if you have pneumonia...they just take a chest xray

Old 11-18-2002, 07:50 PM   #5
    bjpan

bjpan HB User
    Smile

Hi Becky.......
    YES......Get another opinion if you are still feeling the tightness and shorness of breath. I can't believe the doctor would tell you that you have fluid in your lungs and call it a "cold".
    It sounds like you could have bronchitis. If you have a lot of phlegm, drink a lot of water to thin it out and try to cough as much of it as possible.
    Are you running a fever? If so, I would call the doctor again and let him know how bad you are feeling. It is possible that you have a flu, but I don't think it is just a cold by the sound of it.
    I don't mean to scare you because these things can be taken care of with the right medicines. Just don't let it drag on because you are shy about questioning the doctor's diagnosis.
    I had to switch doctors because my doctor of many years was not doing right by me when I got really sick. I hated to do it, but I knew I had better and things worked out for the best. He even told me (whenI brought it up) that a lung transplant wasn't for me. Well, here I am, still kicking after 3 years and I would have probably been gone if it had been a month or so later. Just saying, don't over worry, but when you think something isn't right, you have the right to question it, ok? Good luck and please write again and let us know how you are doing.
    Praying for you......Betty

Old 11-18-2002, 09:12 PM   #6
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi Betty, How are you? I'm going to call another doctor and make an appointment. The more I think about it, it could be bronchitis. It might be worse than what I had before, I had bronchitis 3 times in the last 6 months, I just feel worse this time. It's so weird because I used to never get sick and now it seems I'm sick all the time. Maybe the bronchitis I had the first time just never went fully away. I'm always on antibiotics. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again, Becky

Old 11-19-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
    bjpan

bjpan HB User
    Hi Becky.....
    Good to hear you are going to the doctor again. I just came back a couple of weeks ago from a 26 day hospital stay. I had Bronchitis, Aspergillis (fungus),Micobacterium Chelonae and Klebsiella. They are still trying to get rid of the Micobacterium Chelonae. My doctor says I am the first patient that he has had that contracted this "bug". Goody-goody!
    I am on oxygen 24/7, like before my transplant, but I have heard of lung transplant patients getting sick and having to go back on it for a year or two and finally get off of it again, so I am hoping.
    It took a while for them to find out what was wrong and they had to keep trying different medicines on me. I hope to hear some good news from you soon. At least that you are on a good medicine that is taking that tightness out of your chest so you can breath better. If you are full of mucus, you really need to cough it out.
    How are your lungs? Do you normally have a problem with them? I forgot to ask you before.
    Take care and as long as I don't have to go back to the hospital.....geesh.....I will check the board each day and see if you have written. Good luck! Betty

Old 11-20-2002, 05:36 PM   #8
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Cool

Hi Betty, I'm still a little congested and a little tired but the chest pain has slacked off alot. I'm feeling much better but I'm still going to another doctor to get on some antibiotics, it still feels like theres something in my chest, it just doesn't hurt as bad now. In the last 6 months, I've had 3 throat infectons. I just don't understand why I keep getting them. I'm glad you are out of the hospital. I hope everything works out for you. I'll write you again soon. Becky

Old 11-21-2002, 09:21 AM   #9
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    About the fluid-in-the-lungs being a cold thing... Yeah, when you have a cold, fluid collects in your lungs. That's usually what stimulates the cough.

It's possible your airways were irritated from the ammonia, especially if you are allergic to it. Bronchitis is an inflammation of the airways, and can be caused by any kind of irritation, though it is most often caused by infection. Unfortunately, if you got it from the ammonia, chances are there isn't anything your dr. can do about it except possibly give you a bronchodilator to help you clean out your lungs (if you have problems taking inhalers, you can also get bronchodilator syrups. Why he gave you nasonex, I don't know.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:21 PM   #10
    bjpan

bjpan HB User
    Wink

Hi Becky....
    Glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. I don't know why you keep getting throat infections either. I do know, if you don't fininsh your antibiotics like you are supposed to instead of stopping them when you feel better, you will probably keep getting the same thing because it wasn't all the way gone. (talk about a run-on sentence) I would guess that isn't the problem though. Just remember to ask about the frequent throat infections when you go to the doctor.
    Hope you get well soon! Betty

Old 11-24-2002, 03:36 PM   #11
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Cool

Hi Betty, I hope everything is going well. I have an appointment this week. I'll let you know how it goes.
    How has the weather been treating you? It's been pretty cold here considering I live in Louisiana. I love nice cool weather. We have had so much rain that even if it rains for 20 minutes, water stands everywhere. Talk to you soon. Becky

Old 11-25-2002, 12:45 PM   #12
    bjpan

bjpan HB User
    Smile

HI Becky!
    Nice to hear from you. The weather is very cold here in Indiana. It is trying very hard to snow and make it stick. Won't be long.
    I love the rain. I grew up in Tampa, Florida. We used to run and play in the rain. It also freshens the air. You are lucky for that. I really miss it!
    I will go for now. Take care and I hope the doctor does something good for you.......Bye for now!
    Betty

Old 11-25-2002, 02:27 PM   #13
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Cool

Hi Betty, nice to hear from you too. I've been watching the news and they said it's been snowing really bad up north. My kids have never been in the snow, They really want to play in it. It almost snowed here last year, we ended up getting some sleet.
    I wish it would snow here one time for a little while, just enough to let them make a little snowman. I don't want to get a lot.

Well tomorrow, I'm going to fill out an application for a job at a vet. Please keep your fingers crossed.

Talk to you soon!! Becky

Old 11-26-2002, 12:32 PM   #14
    bjpan

bjpan HB User
    Thumbs up

HI Becky!
    Well, I sure will keep my fingers crossed that you get that job. I love animals! Our vet is only two (big) blocks down the street. I have two parakeets, a cockatiel, an African Gray and a cat. The Gray is the boss of the house and he will tell you so....lol
    I wish you had some snow for your kids too. I lived in Florida from the time I was 2 until I was 22 and never saw snow until then. We don't have much snow here yet, but there are a couple of small children outside right now making a snowman. It's three little balls and about 12" tall and cute as can be. The kids can't be over 4 or 5 years old.
    Well, hope to hear from you again. Are you feeling a lot better now? Hope so! Happy Thanksgiving!! Betty

Old 11-26-2002, 01:34 PM   #15
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi Betty, How are you doing today? I am feeling so much better today. I get so much energy when the days are really cool. We have been having such a nice week for a change. Since we were hit by tropical storm Isidore then a week later Hurricane Lili. We are finally starting to dry out. And the good news is we are finally getting a break from the West Nile Virus after killing hundreds of people here.

I bet that little snowman turned out to be so cute!!!

We have plenty of animals our self. We have 2 Siberian Huskies, 2 turtles, 3 cats and a hamster. I love animals too. I probably pick up all the strays or they just show up here.

I didn't get to go fill out the application yet, my husband had to go to work and all my kids are home for the holidays.

Well I'll let you go for now, talk to you soon.

P.S. Have a Happy Thanksgiving too. Becky

Closed Thread