It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Pandas and pure O

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
    jakjak
    (female)

jakjak HB User
    Pandas and pure O

My 11 year old son has social phobia, 3 years ago he had back to back strep infections without any fever or sore throat symptoms, when it was finally treated he already started to have school refusal and horrible anxiety attacks, sensory processing problems. Fast forward 3 years later, he has completely deteriorated, medications havent helped, actually made it worse in some cases, he's been hospitalized for suicidal ideation. He does have PANDAS but the OCD symptoms were not obvious. I just read about pure O. He's been unable to talk to a therapist, he won't discuss his feelings, could it be that he has pure O and is afraid to discuss his "secrets". He's in the hospital again, and we are waiting for an appointment with a stress and anxity clinic in Chicago. Has anyone and any similar experience?

The following user gives a hug of support to jakjak:
    yalwayssick (10-27-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
    bellaangel317
    (female)

bellaangel317 HB User
    Re: Pandas and pure O

My cousin is going through something similar with his daughter who is 8 now. All she does is scream and has anxiety attacks, OCD and Pandas , she has some kind of Autism ppd? But I know my cousin just is at his wits end, he doesn't know how to help her anymore, he has tried everything, she has social Issue but I believe that is from the Autism, he has changed her diet several times, he has tried every doctor, every therapy. I know this isn't much help, I hope that he is on his way to feeling better.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I just watched a medical show yesterday (I believe it was Mystery Diagnosis on the Health Channel). It was about a young boy who had contracted strep infection that ended up affecting his brain. He became psychologically damaged, began to have severe OCD symptoms, etc. He was almost comotose in some ways. I wish I could remember from the show how he was diagnosed and what was done to help him. I do recall that he was treated before his brain cells were too far gone to be able to revert back to normal. I'm sorry if none of this is making any sense to you, but I'll try to see if I can find the name of that particular episode and post it back here. Hope it will help. BrittleBones

It will be the show on October 23 about Sammy the 11 year old boy who stopped speaking.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-24-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
    yalwayssick
    (female)

yalwayssick HB Useryalwayssick HB User

JakJak sorry to hear your child has gone through so much, and that you too have done the same. It is a good thing that you have a diagnose and that you've been seeking other treatment that will help your child. My child suffered similar issues but was not diagnosed with PANDAS, PDD or any autism or related disorders. He has been sick a lot and was a numerous medication for years. Diet has something to do with certain behaviors as far as food allergies are concerned, keeping a diary on what foods he eats and how he reacts will help you identify what is and is not effecting him. As far as the PPD and the O factor, you can also keep a diary for one month paying attention to the weather conditions, barometric pressure changes, and see if there is any patterns between his sensitivity levels, anxiety levels, and most importantly functional capacity. The combination of food, allergy, weather, and behavior or symptoms might surprise you. Unfortunately, with kids, they are not always able to explain what they are feeling, nor are they willing to discuss that which they do not understand. You could try immunology, or even a doctor that specializes in pediatric developemnent and or viral infections. medicines sometimes dont work for these kids because of un-identified allergies. Good luck...I know its difficult but try these simple techniques of diary logging of foods, weather, and behaviors that might better clarify what makes his symptoms of PDD and Ocd go off the charts. Being highly sensitive with PDD these things do make a difference.

Last edited by yalwayssick; 10-27-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
    yalwayssick
    (female)

yalwayssick HB Useryalwayssick HB User

How does PANDAS and or OCD get diagnosed? Are these primary or secondary conditions? Integration or processing issues, high sensitivities to light, sound, weather, food and outside stimulus seems to aggravate PDD, OCD, PANDAS and even ADHD. Are these all related conditions? Can these conditions be on the broader broad spectrum of autism disorders? Just wondering if perhaps these are somewhat related or even a mild form or variation of autism/aspergers or what not.

Last edited by yalwayssick; 10-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Closed Thread