It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Low-Positive ANA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
    Schmiddy330
    (female)

Schmiddy330 HB User
    Re: Low-Positive ANA

Hi WendyWP! So sorry to hear about your troubles.

A few months ago I went to the doctor with really swollen joints, specifically my fingers and wrists. At times they were so swollen I couldn't move them. My knees and ankles were also swollen and bothering me. I was extremely tired and had fevers a lot. I had though just started a new, very hectic job and thought that I had just gotten run down. Or that maybe I had some broken fingers or something. A few months before I went to the doctor I had gotten really sick with the flu, a sinus infection and Strep F. So thought maybe that was also why I was so tired and sore.

My doctor took some blood tests and my ANA came back as a low positive. So because of that and my swollen joints, she referred me to a Rheumatologist. In between the appointments, I started to lose feeling in my hands. And I had because photo-sensitive. And came down with another sinus infection. The Rheumatologist then took more blood tests and my Lupus test came back positive. Truthfully I don't know what that Lupus test was, and I was a little shaken up when I heard that and forgot to ask my doctor what that test was called. My Rheumatologist thinks I'm in early stages of Lupus and has started me on Plaquenil and an anti-inflammatory prescription. Luckily, she doesn't think any of my organ have been effected. I am to see her again in a month and run some more tests.

So, I don't really know if I'm diagnosed as having Lupus or if we're just going to treat it as if I do and see what the next rounds of tests show.

Not sure if any of that information helps you. Best of luck with everything!

Take care,
    Kathleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
    paperbgprinces
    (female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User

Thanks Kathleen, that's really helpful for me. My first two doctors ignored my ANA because they said it wasn't high enough to worry about. But I'm now waiting to see a rheumatologist.

From what I've read (if you live in the USA) some rheumatologist wont call it Lupus because it can make it harder for you to get insurance in the future. I'm not from the USA, so I don't know about that.. But as long as you're getting treatment!

Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #18
    Schmiddy330
    (female)

Schmiddy330 HB User

Glad my information helped you out paperbgprinces!

I'm hearing more and more stories about doctor's ignoring their patients tests/symptoms and just saying it's nothing. I guess I lucked out with my doctor and Rheumatologist. Both listened to me, saw the swelling in my joints and seemed to understand my frustration and pain. They both said they are going to figure out what's the root of my problem and get me feeling better. Again, I guess I lucked out with some tests coming back positive so there's a place to start at least.

I am from the USA, though I've never heard about doctors not wanting to say Lupus for insurance reasons. Though I've never really asked either. But it does make sense because of all the insurance companies and their stupid pre-existing condition exemptions. And unfortunately, I will now be dealing with insurance companies and their pre-existing issues. I had insurance for my last, very hectic, job. But I had to switch to a new, and much better, job because of what was going on with me I couldn't keep up the pace anymore. And at that job I was handling knives and because of my weakened strength and grip in my hands, it really wasn't smart to stay there. And quite truthfully, that job was making me feel worse. So I found a part-time job that I'm loving. And is much, much easier on my situation right now. But no insurance until I find a new company. Good news is my doctors are aware and they still want to treat me.

Again, glad to help and good luck with your Rheumatologist appointment!

Kathleen

Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
    paperbgprinces
    (female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User

It did, thanks again.

I haven't seen a rheumatologist yet, my appointment is on the 30th, but I'm worried that my lack of significant positive blood work will mean I'm ignored. My ANA was the same as yours, hence why your reply was a relief! I'm hoping that I wont be ignored, but it really depends on your rheumatologist!

It does seem to make a difference if you have doctors who listen. My first two doctors ignored me. I saw the next doctor during a flare, so they saw my swollen joints and believed me (it's such a nice feeling!). I've got a new GP which I'm able to see more regularly, she's very lovely, but she saw me while I was on 20mg of Prednisone, so there wasn't much to see!

I don't know much about how insurance companies in the USA, here in NZ our health care system is mostly free! I've heard that if you have Lupus as a diagnosis on your record it does make it more difficult to get insurance, but if you have the diagnosis 'Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease' the doctor can treat the condition exactly the same as if it was Lupus, but not jeopardize your insurance.

I think you should press your rheumatologist for a name for what's going on. I feel like things will be easier when I know what it is that's going on!

Thank you =]

Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
    backster
    (female)

backster HB Userbackster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WendyWP View Post
    Has anyone ended up receiving a definitive diagnosis with a low-positive ANA of only 1:80? What were your symptoms and what did you end up having?

I had a test 2 months ago, and again last week. Both came back the same, 1:80.

I've had a host of problems over the last 3 years, ranging from 'fibromyalgia' symptoms to anxiety & depression. Since my general bloodwork always comes back okay, the doctors have always chalked my symptoms up to anxiety and depression and I've been being treated by a psychiatrist. Symptoms still there!
    A positive ANA of 80 is at a level when a Dr. will start to look for reasons, but without many Rheumatological symptoms they won't be too concerned. A positive ANA is common and is used as only one tool in a diagnosis. Do you have any other blood tests that are out of range? ANA levels will change from test to test depending on how you feel, and from lab to lab there will be different ranges of "normal", so if your Dr. isn't concerned it may be that the lab you went to is considering 80 within normal ranges.
    I wouldn't be too concerned.
    I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and can understand why you'd be depressed. It is common for patients with chronic pain to also suffer with depression. Have you tried Lyrica? I tried it and one of the affects was a sense of euphoria. I was actually happy. I was sorry I couldn't take it anylonger due to some serious side affects, though the Fibro symptoms were better. You may do real well with if.
    ope this helps..
    I'd like to hear how you're doing.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
    paperbgprinces
    (female)

I just want to let you know that my ANA was 1:80 and I'm now being treated with Plaquenil. I also had a bone scan which shows arthritis in my hands, wrists, shoulders, hips and knees. My last blood tests also abnormal liver function. Everything else was normal. They're not set on a diagnosis, but at least I'm being treated. They're saying either RA, Sjogren's, Lupus or Psoriatic Arthritis (although the last one is confusing because I don't have Psoriasis!)

Good luck, I'm sorry to say you'll probably be fobbed off as having Fibromyalgia without the necessary testing. I've seen four rheumatologists and even with my bone scan the last rheumatologist I saw mentioned Fibromyalgia..

Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
    backster
    (female)

backster HB Userbackster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Schmiddy330 View Post
    Glad my information helped you out paperbgprinces!

I'm hearing more and more stories about doctor's ignoring their patients tests/symptoms and just saying it's nothing. I guess I lucked out with my doctor and Rheumatologist. Both listened to me, saw the swelling in my joints and seemed to understand my frustration and pain. They both said they are going to figure out what's the root of my problem and get me feeling better. Again, I guess I lucked out with some tests coming back positive so there's a place to start at least.

I am from the USA, though I've never heard about doctors not wanting to say Lupus for insurance reasons. Though I've never really asked either. But it does make sense because of all the insurance companies and their stupid pre-existing condition exemptions. And unfortunately, I will now be dealing with insurance companies and their pre-existing issues. I had insurance for my last, very hectic, job. But I had to switch to a new, and much better, job because of what was going on with me I couldn't keep up the pace anymore. And at that job I was handling knives and because of my weakened strength and grip in my hands, it really wasn't smart to stay there. And quite truthfully, that job was making me feel worse. So I found a part-time job that I'm loving. And is much, much easier on my situation right now. But no insurance until I find a new company. Good news is my doctors are aware and they still want to treat me.

Again, glad to help and good luck with your Rheumatologist appointment!

Kathleen
    Kathleen,
    I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I am concerned about your lack of insurance. I was originally diagnosed in 1983, though I've had symptoms since infancy. I didn't have insurance at that time. My Dr. asked me to come back when I was not experiencing any other symptoms and try and stay away from seeing any Dr. until then. I went in and he ran another round of tests and then said that he must have misdiagnosed me. ANA tests fluctuate and can come out in normal ranges when not in a flare. He then told me to get insurance and wait at least 6 months before seeing a Dr.
    I got insurance and then saw a Rheumatologist who in fact did diagnose me with Lupus with extremely high ANA, multiple blood disorders and 7 of 11 definitive symptoms.
    Without insurance I would have been screwed! I did end up in an insurance nightmare and lost it. I now am on a Major Risk Medical insurance policy which costs me $1015 a month. This policy only has a million dollar life time benefit. Lupus is a serious pre-existing condition for both health and life insurance.
    Do whatever you can to get insurance. This is an expensive disease to manage. Good luck...
    Jane

Closed Thread