It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
    Coq10FTW
    (female)

Coq10FTW HB User
    Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System?

So I have Multiple Sclerosis, but have it very well under control. Been taking LDN for 2 years and haven't had a relapse since! So that's great.. but I have all these seemingly random things that after reading about overactive sympathetic nervous system makes me think I might have it? This started because my blood pressure would be high at the doctors and so I started testing it at home. But I would test just a few minutes after I get home from driving and being out and about. My bp was always in the high 130s/high 80s. It would be normal if I was home all day and never went anywhere. So last night I decided to test it when I got home and then again half an hour later. It was 138/88 the first times - tested 3 times with a few minutes between each. Half an hour later I did the same thing and it was 120/80 for every test. So after doing some research, I came across the nervous system thing and I've been reading up on it. I also have a strangely fast heartbeat at times. Sometimes as high as 100 when it's normally below 80. I noticed it over 10 years ago and the docs say it's "nothing". I also have a bit of overactive bladder.. I usually go a couple times a night and sometimes feel like I have to pee even though I did 30 minutes ago. I also have cold hands sometimes and they're usually sweaty! The weird thing is none of these things on their own amount to much.. they're all pretty mild and easy for the docs to write off. But now I'm wondering if all together they add up to a slight overactive nervous system? A couple years ago my LDN doc wanted me to send in a cortisol spit test, but I never did it. I'm seeing him in a couple weeks, so I'm going to ask for it again. I figured since my blood test came up fine in the thyroid numbers, it probably wasn't that. But since my symptoms seem to match could it be that without affecting my thyroid levels? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
    catluv
    (female)

catluv HB User
    Re: Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System?

Hello,
    I was recently diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis and Psoriatic Arthritis. I also have a spine condition called Spondylolisthesis which is both in my low back and now in my neck (low back, fused at a grade 5 after 3 inches increase from body traction and surgeries - and new diagnosis of a slip at C6&7), both of which may be connected to the auto immune diseases. I have neurological symptoms, some of which may be connected to the slips, but others are still an unknown. My Sympathetic Nervous System has also been overly sensitive for the last few years and I was curious as to all of the symptoms you experience? I have several symptoms which present before and during flares that the docs can't seem to figure out. I have had a fast heart rate for the last 4 plus years since my symptoms with the auto immune disease began, along with sensory issues and my pupils dilate and remain dilated for 2-3 days at the beginning of my flares, and are not related in any way to medication (something the doctors won't listen to). I do not have MS and so these neuro symptoms are strange. I was also told by the Naturopath to to a saliva test for the adrenals .. as he thought it might be connected to my past physical and emotional trauma and my "flight or fight" being stuck in the "on" position for so many years. I was told by another Naturopath over 11 years ago that at the time it appeared I was facing adrenal exhaustion, but of course the western med docs said otherwise. I never followed up, but do wonder how these symptoms might be connected to the auto immune diseases or something else. I still believe my auto immune diseases were "triggered" by endocrine related changes and trauma.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
    Coq10FTW
    (female)

Coq10FTW HB User
    Re: Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was related to autoimmune issues. I got diagnosed with MS when I was 22, almost 12 years ago, and at the same time I started having issues with my breathing. I wasn't able to get a deep breath most of the time. Took me 2 years to get a diagnosis of asthma, and that was also the first time I mentioned my fast heart beat. But I don't have normal asthma.. I don't have attacks, just not being able to get that full breath. So I almost feel like that's related to the autoimmune disorder too. I think anyone who has one, is more likely to have another one. And it's because your immune system doesn't work properly and that's going to affect other parts of your body.

Closed Thread