It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

who dx these conditions and how?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 9
MLS38 HB User
who dx these conditions and how?

how would one go about seeing if they have one of these complex autoimmune conditions?? what kinda dr dx these and how do they do that? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,719
VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: who dx these conditions and how?

Hi. Usually rheumatologists diagnose lupus, antiphospholipid syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's, mixed connective tissue disease, and scleroderma. For Hashimoto's, Grave's, and type 1 diabetes: endocrinologists. For multiple sclerosis: neurologists. For inflammatory bowel conditions (Crohn's & ulcerative colitis): gastroenterologists. (Did I omit the ones you're most interested in?!?)

The "how" depends on the condition. I believe all (or most) have pre-determined criteria set by professional societies. In lupus, for example, there are 11 criteria established by the American College of Rheumatology. A patient generally (not always) must meet 4 or more to sustain a Dx of SLE. (You could read these on a "sticky posts" on the lupus board.)

Some criteria are subjective in nature, so doctors take a full medical history & ask questions. One example of a subjective criteria in lupus would be the one re: skin & sun sensitivity. (There's no test to prove it.)

Other criteria are quantifiable, like lab results. Doctors run the basics, like CBC metabolic panel, urinalysis, etc., then add more. In many of the AI's, a very general threshold test called antinuclear antibody (ANA) is often positive. Additional autoantibody tests that are more specific are tacked on. In lupus, those would be tests like anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, anti-RNP, anticardiolipin, etc. (There are a bunch.)

Sometimes one specialist refers you to additional specialists. In lupus, perhaps a dermatologist to biopsy a rash, or a nephrologist to fully evaluate kidney function, etc.

We're just patients, but if you wanted to post some of your symptoms, we could suggest (in our non-professional opinions) which specialist(s) you might consider... but a good PCP can get the ball rolling even faster, as he/she tends to know which specialists in your area are good at diagnosing the complex stuff. Hope this is what you're really after---let us know, OK? Sending best wishes, sincerely, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 03-08-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!