It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• 8 yr female??? What should I expect?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #31
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: 8 yr female??? What should I expect?

Hi. Urine pH of 7.0 is neutral = a good finding. (I'm pretty solid on this one b/c I'm tested often due to kidney stones.)

Creatine of 0.50 would be solidly in the normal range *IF* your lab uses the same reference lab mine does.

I'm glad you're booked at Mayo. Makes sense, esp. for conditions for which diagnosis relies largely on symptoms, as opposed to "surefire labs". (I wish there WERE surefire labs for all conditions!)

Is your appt. with a pediatric rheum? Wishing you the best of luck, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #32
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

yes peds rheum

Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

So after seeing the new peds rheumy she didnt seemed concerned what so ever. New results are as follows, positive ana 2.6 I am not familiar with these numbers. Please help me understand whats going on here. Here previous results were positive ana with a titre of 640 everything else tested negative. I get that number but she is telling me the opposite of the other docs recommendation. She doesnt think the symptoms are relevant in any diagnosis.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #34
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I am just wondering how your daughter is feeling now, and if there has been any change or improvement in her symptoms over this time. I would ask for a written copy or emailed copy of her new lab results so you can see the reference range. I believe under 1 on this type of test is normal, so 2.6 would be not just borderline +, but it is always best to see the reference range for comparison. I'm sorry you got no help. Good thing the Mayo app't was set up.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #35
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

This was our mayo appt. I did request to get copies that are being sent in the mail. My daughter is still the same. We are managing her pain with homeopathic treatment and ibuprofen. She said the under 1 refrence is normal range. My daughter is a 2.6 with everything else still showing negative. She said that there is nothing serious going on and to follow up in a year. I am wondering how the 2.6 postive test is comparable to her first 2 positive results of 640.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #36
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

That is disappointing that this was your Mayo app't with still no answers. The ANA in international units is as follows: 1 Correlates with 1:160 on titer type testing which is considered clinically significant +. 3-5.9 is considered positive, and over 6 is strongly +. I would say 2.6 probably equates with 1:320, which is + and only one titer away from 1:640 as the bottom number doubles with each dilution step. ANA's do fluctuate over time, so I think 2 + ANA's at these levels are significant. I wish you could find a pediatric rheum who would take this seriously. This is not normal for an 8 year old to feel bad and have pain requiring medications all the time. I would like to see her get EBV titers done to look for recurrent viral activity, since reactive lymphocytes showed up on her CBC before.

Last edited by ladybud; 03-19-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: correction

Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #37
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

Hello all we are still battling no diagnosis, and symptoms. My daughter just had a 3 month recheck, so far the blood work showed a 15 SED rate, previous results were 4-8-9, does this mean anything at all? We are waiting for the rest of the results to come in next week.

The following user gives a hug of support to srss:
    yalwayssick (07-28-2014)
    Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #38
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks so much for the update, although disappointing to hear you are in same situation. But with new tests pending, there is hope something will show up. Actually, something HAS been showing up all along: 3 + ANA's at significant levels. Sometimes that one test and the symptoms are all that are present in lupus. Her sed rate doubled but rheums tend to downplay anything below 20. So yes, I think it is a significant rise showing more inflammation, but my guess is that it will be ignored since it is within the "normal" range, below 20. I think subtle changes can be meaningful, but some Drs have to be knocked off their chairs by a lab result to pay it any notice. Frustrating! I hope they did EBV titers with this batch, as I think chronic EBV (or recurrent viral activity) and lupus are the 2 most likely culprits. They have many symptoms in common, and I hope you get some answers this time. Please update when you get test results back. Keeping fingers crossed for answers!

Last edited by ladybud; 07-09-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: omitted punctuation

Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #39
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

New test results, still no answers. Doctor says it is good news and to follow up in 3 months.

As follows:
    Positive ANA
    Homogeneous 1:80
    c3 113 90-180
    c4 20 16-47
    total ch50 60 31-60 (out of range)
    Alt 14 8-24
    CRP <0.10 <0.80
    mono 6.3%
    ESR 14

Any suggestions with these new results

Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #40
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

In my opinion an 8 year old should not have a + ANA, (this is the 4th I think?) and her symptoms are suggestive of lupus. Has she been tried on any other anti-inflammatories like Naproxen on a regular basis, twice a day? I think her Drs. should be at least suggesting anti-inflammatories for symptom relief, and I think Naproxen is stronger than Ibuprofen, OTC as well. I personally would gather all her results, and seek another opinion from a ped rheum perhaps at the University in your area. Someone has to step up to the plate, make a diagnosis, and get her started on treatment, instead of just watching her languish in fatigue and pain. I would not take let's watch and see any longer. She has not felt well for a long time. There is really nothing new or different with these results. Another + ANA, but everything else within range.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-23-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added

Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 AM   #41
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I'm sorry to read that she's still in limbo. I'm only a patient (understatement), but I'm wondering if JRA (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) is a possibility? I believe that it can feature a positive ANA in some patients. Also that certain of the "serum complements" might elevate in JRA, like CH50 (as opposed to lupus, in which LOW serum complement levels are more likely). Also, because no specific autoantibodies have been found so far... (This is only a thought on my part, of course.)

Does your daughter still participate in activities that put high stress on her joints? Maybe lower-joint-stress activities like swimming could be substituted, at least until you see what way this is all moving? Anyhow, I do hope this cycles out PERMANENTLY. Will keep my fingers crossed for you both, Vee

Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #42
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

Hello. My daughter now 9.5 had her bloodwork done the other day for follow up, waiting upon new results. She recently had another positive ANA homogenous pattern 1:80, so additonal work was order by peds doc. Recent on set of reoccuring bloody nose (peds thinks it has nothing to do with blood work) I am not so convinced. Is there any coincindence between unknown autoimmune and bloody nose-that keeps happening (I guess not clotting)?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #43
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

Hello. My daughter now 9.5 had her blood work done the other day for follow up, waiting upon new results. She recently had another positive ANA homogeneous pattern 1:80, so additional work was order by peds doc. Recent on set of reoccurring bloody nose (peds thinks it has nothing to do with blood work) I am not so convinced. Is there any coincidence between unknown autoimmune and bloody nose-that keeps happening (I guess not clotting)?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #44
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am sorry she is still having problems. This definitely is looking like a chronic autoimmune problem, and yes, there can be a connection between bloody noses and autoimmune disorders. For example, some AI conditions, like lupus, cause antibodies to form against the platelets, which may come back low in count (CBC) or just not function properly for clotting. You can also get dilated blood vessels in the nose (telangiectasias) from vascular effects, which can break open and bleed. It may also be a side effect from non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, like Ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. People with AI disorders often have allergies which can add to inflammation in nose, predisposing to bleeds. Lastly, the winter months tend to be dry and dry membranes bleed more easily. If her platelet count is fine, I would have her nose examined by an ENT to see if there is a dilated blood vessel that can be cauterized. She should be warned to blow her nose gently when needed and avoid picking. She needs to be taught how to handle the bleeds properly and the school nurse should be notified if her platelet count is low, as she may bleed more if injured or cut. This is usually not terribly serious, as the platelet count rarely drops to dangerous levels. I would ask for a copy of her blood test results also and keep saving any labs for ongoing monitoring.

Last edited by ladybud; 12-11-2014 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 AM   #45
    srss
    (female)

srss HB User

Update! My daughter now 10.5 current blood work shows low c3c c4c and a elevated c50, still positive ANA speckled pattern, no other markers. She is still having pain, recent episode of almost passing out at basketball. No diagnosis, I'm bringing her in to peds today. We keep repeating what seems to be the same blood work over and over again every 4 months.

Reply Reply