It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• 8 yr female??? What should I expect?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #46
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: 8 yr female??? What should I expect?

Aha, a low C3 and C4 with elevated CH50 is confirming an autoimmune disorder. Personally I think they need to take a stand and treat her so she can get on with her life. My #1 bet is that this is lupus, and her Drs. aren't seeing the clear writing on the wall. I would make sure she is being seen at a large university peds rheumatology clinic, children's hospital rheum clinic, or take her to the Mayo clinic. She has been sick far too long, and some specific treatment needs started before she end up with organ damage, like kidney trouble. Yes, she is young, but not unheard of for kids even younger than this to get lupus. Good luck. Be assertive on her behalf. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it is unfair for her Drs. to let her languish in pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #47
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

I'm still wondering about high CH50 in the presence of low C3 and C4. I believe in lupus you expect CH50 to be low, not high. One article I saw suggests juvenile RA, thyroiditis, ulcerative colitis, also certain cancers. In your shoes, I'd ask that point-blank. You both must be so frustrated, and I'm so sorry for that.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #48
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Elevated CH50 is more common in rheumatoid arthritis than lupus. Did she EVER get RA testing done (Rheumatoid factor or anti CCP)? Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is different than adult RA in that the blood tests are not always positive, but at least they should be run in the course of diagnostic tests. Regardless of whether this is lupus or JRA or ???, most entry level drugs for treating these conditions are the same, and treatment should be offered, then fine tuned as the need arises or the diagnosis becomes more clear. I hope you can get some answers or at least treatment started to make her more comfortable and reduce her inflammation levels. Continuous monitoring needs done as well to pick up any new clues or signs to clarify the diagnosis, but she shouldn't be denied treatment in the interim, IMO. PS After reading back through the pages, I see she already was seen at Mayo. Sorry for that oversight.

Last edited by ladybud; 01-19-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added

Reply Reply