It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Blood tests, waiting results.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
    ninal
    (female)

ninal HB User
    Unhappy Blood tests, waiting results.

I finally got into a rheumatology clinic to try to figure out why I have so many awful symptoms (I'm guessing most of you on this board know what they are).

Friday, I went in to get blood drawn to test for about, 16 different things. I have a follow up appointment on Feb 20th (too far away if you ask me, but I can't get in any sooner).

I'm just really worried that the tests will result nothing. Sure, that's good, no diseases found, but it won't answer the question of why I feel so awful all the time

Have any of you been through all of the blood tests with no results to be found? What did you do? I really don't want to be left hanging... I'm only 25 and I REALLY, REALLY don't want to feel like this for the rest of my life....life is already hard enough as it is!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Blood tests, waiting results.

I went through a decade of feeling sick before any tests turned positive, however, that is certainly the exception rather than the rule. Sometimes in AI disorders, symptoms precede lab confirmation, however, there are usually at least some clues that show up. Most rheums want "text-book" cases, and they often remain elusive about making a diagnosis, so be prepared for that. You may be able to get your lab results earlier than your appointment either from the rheum office, faxed , mailed, or emailed to you, a patient portal if they have one, or the lab itself depending on insurance and whether your Dr will permit that. Then at least you can look them over, do some research, post them here if you'd like, and get some info sooner rather than waiting in the dark for 3 weeks. You might also ask the office to put you on a cancellation list for a sooner appointment, or call daily to see if something has opened up in the schedule. Good luck! I hope you get answers soon, and in the meantime, we are here for support.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Like Ladybug, I sought answers and help for years, but that doesn't mean YOU'LL have to wait that long! I concluded years ago that I was born in the wrong era, as most of my recurring problems developed pre-internet. Now you have info instantly available, plus access here to people who've been thru similar things.

Ladybug's point about doctors looking for "textbook cases" certainly applied to me, but there are ways to deal with that should you encounter it. You'd just look for doctors who see a wider variety of AI's---say, in a metro area teaching hospital---and you'd "bump up" to one of those, because they're more likely to have seen the unusual & rarer presentations.

Some of the AI tests take awhile to run, esp. ones that are done manually, by humans, instead of by machine. I had to wait one month for my final confirming results to come back. Anyhow, hang tough & let us know how you make out. Sending you warm wishes, Vee

Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
    ninal
    (female)

ninal HB User

Well, all the tests came back good except slightly slow vitamin D (which I'm not at all surprised by). Still means we don't have a definite answer, but it now leans more towards fibromyalgia. I alteast got to know the test results before my appointment (which is great because Im VERY impatient)....so Im interested to see what she will want to talk about next time I see her!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Feel free to post your actual results with reference ranges if you want. Sometimes, patients are told everything is fine, when there are actually some subtle clues that could be meaningful. It also helps to see what all has been tested in case there are any gaps that could be filled in on later visits.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I've never thought that Fibro alone elevates ANA, but I'm not a pofessional (understatement), so I hope others chip in with what they know about this.

Were thyroid labs also run? I ask because symptoms for some of the AI's overlap with symptoms for hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).

Good luck with your upcoming appointment. Vee

Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
    ninal
    (female)

ninal HB User

I dont have the actual numbers yet for the tests (Ill get those on the 20th) and I'll be sure to post them here! I've also been tested for hypo/hyperthyroidism and nothing showed up for that either!

Of course, there is no definitive test for Fibro either.. which I really dont like the fact that they can say yeah, it has to be that since the other tests are ok... frustrating!

Closed Thread

Tags
    blood tests, rheumatologist