It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• AutoImmune Disorders run in the family

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
    NimbusGirl
    (female)

NimbusGirl HB User
    Question AutoImmune Disorders run in the family

Hi,

So I know some autoimmune disorders are hereditary, but can they be linked with each other? My dad, my brothers and I all have autoimmune disorders but not the same ones. Anyone familiar with this? My dad has juvenile diabetes (would that just be classified as Type 1 now?), which passed on to one of my brothers. The other one has epilepsy and I have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA). Although I have heard the doctors whispering that the symptoms are a bit weird for JRA, but that's another story.

Basically, is it common for autoimmune disorders to run in the family like that? If it were just diabetes it would make sense as it's often genetic, but it seems like we're running the gamut here.

-upon further research, it looks like epilepsy may not be an autoimmune disorder, but I'll leave it in because it's still a weird coincidence

Last edited by NimbusGirl; 02-19-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: AutoImmune Disorders run in the family

Hi. My understanding is that AI's tend to run in families---skipping over many family members, of course---but can encompass different AI's. On one side of my family, so far our gamut includes lupus, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, ulcerative colitis, and Type 1 Diabetes. I hope others will add more. Take good care, Vee

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
    NimbusGirl (03-03-2014)
    Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is quite common for AI diseases to run in families, but of different types in different individuals. Type I diabetes (juvenile onset) is autoimmune, as is JRA. The epilepsy probably has a different etiology. My family for example, has lupus, RA, Behcet's disease (rather uncommon), Crohn's disease, celiac disease and autoimmune thyroiditis. So this kind of family history is the rule rather than the exception.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    NimbusGirl (03-03-2014)
    Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
    clg
    (female)

clg HB User

On my Mothers side we have: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Sjogrens, Crohns Disease, Polymyalgia Rhuematica, Temporal Arteritis.

The Following User Says Thank You to clg For This Useful Post:
    NimbusGirl (03-03-2014)
    Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
    NimbusGirl
    (female)

NimbusGirl HB User

Thank you all for your responses!! I really appreciate your input =) I had looked into it some on the internet but couldn't find specific information (or maybe I was looking in the wrong places?), so thank you so much for the info! I feel much better knowing that this is completely normal!

Closed Thread

Tags
    autoimmune, autoimmune disease, autoimmune disorder, genetic disorder