It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

  • Odd symptoms

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Odd symptoms

    Hi there, so I've posted before but have gotten more symptoms. My symptoms all started with a drythroat and a feeling of tightness in my throat like breathing through a straw. The next month I started having my joints crack all over my body and stomach burning pain and yellow stools. My doctor did an ultrasound and said there was a shadow in my gallbladder, my bilirubin was a little up, so now I need to take a stool sample. I also had a scope down my throat and a chest X-ray which looked good.

    The next month I started to have blurred vision which is just getting worse. Started to have deep muscle aches that felt like growing pains but not painful at all. I started feeling vibrations in feet and hands, then pins and needles, my feet fell asleep a lot and wake up to numbness in my hands but it could be from position. Scary part is that I started to get twitches and muscle spasms. Muscle spasm started mainly in my right foot and leg and now all over but still mainly in that leg. My right hand also is stiff. My doctor did a physical exam for strength and balance and he said I didn't show any weakness. I am also 5 months postpartum and breastfeeding my son so don't know if this is raging hormones. Now my throat/neck feels tight all the time and my swallowing is odd. I am seeing a swallowing specialist and speech therapist because I've been feeling like my tongue swells and gives me lisp.. I also been having ringing in my ears and weird electrical head/ ear noises.. My eyelids feel heavy as if I'm struggling to keep them open at times, I see floaters, my ribcage and sternum has discomfort not sure if its a postpartum thing either. My doctor said maybe celiac disease, of course he thinks this is all anxiety. I'm just wondering if anyone has similar symptoms or knows what I could possibly have?

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Also, what other testing can I have done? I had some blood work done to check for deficiency and I am vitamin d deficient 28.

     
    Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 5,711
    VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Hi. First, CONGRATS on your new baby! I'm sorry you're having these problems. I'm just a patient, but here are some things I'd do & ask.
    1. Start keeping copies of all labs & tests, for your own files.
    2. Was an ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) test run? It's only a threshold test & can be positive in quite a number of auto-immunes, but also in other conditions. A positive result would suggest the need for additional, more specific tests. One example of an AI that can cause throat dryness & swallowing problems is Sjogren's syndrome.
    3. Bilirubin can elevate in liver and gallbladder conditions. How elevated was yours? There are bilirubin tests available called "conjugated" versus "unconjugated", and how the two results compare can shed some light. Also, did your tests show any other abnormal results that relate to the liveror gallbladder?
    4. For Celiac, there are at least 2 blood tests that look for autoantibodies, anti-tTGA and EMA. Also, a biopsy of the small intestine may be done. Have you tried keeping a diary to see if foods with gluten are bothering you?
    5. What's causing the gallbladder shadow? Were gallstones mentioned as one possibility? (Gallbladder symptoms can evolve slowly & can affect liver function as well.)
    6. Twitches and pins & needles. Vitamin D deficiency can cause odd electrical-like sensations (but so can other things, of course).
    7. Throat tightness and swallowing problems. Were thyroid levels checked?
    8. Ribcage & sternum. Cartilage can inflame in a condition called costochondritis.
    I hope others add more & that you post more when you can, to let us know what you're finding out. Meanwhile, sending best wishes, Vee

     
    Old 04-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    Hi. First, CONGRATS on your new baby! I'm sorry you're having these problems. I'm just a patient, but here are some things I'd do & ask.
    1. Start keeping copies of all labs & tests, for your own files.
    2. Was an ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) test run? It's only a threshold test & can be positive in quite a number of auto-immunes, but also in other conditions. A positive result would suggest the need for additional, more specific tests. One example of an AI that can cause throat dryness & swallowing problems is Sjogren's syndrome.
    3. Bilirubin can elevate in liver and gallbladder conditions. How elevated was yours? There are bilirubin tests available called "conjugated" versus "unconjugated", and how the two results compare can shed some light. Also, did your tests show any other abnormal results that relate to the liveror gallbladder?
    4. For Celiac, there are at least 2 blood tests that look for autoantibodies, anti-tTGA and EMA. Also, a biopsy of the small intestine may be done. Have you tried keeping a diary to see if foods with gluten are bothering you?
    5. What's causing the gallbladder shadow? Were gallstones mentioned as one possibility? (Gallbladder symptoms can evolve slowly & can affect liver function as well.)
    6. Twitches and pins & needles. Vitamin D deficiency can cause odd electrical-like sensations (but so can other things, of course).
    7. Throat tightness and swallowing problems. Were thyroid levels checked?
    8. Ribcage & sternum. Cartilage can inflame in a condition called costochondritis.
    I hope others add more & that you post more when you can, to let us know what you're finding out. Meanwhile, sending best wishes, Vee
    Thank you for responding VeeJ!

    My doctor just did a simple blood test and deficiency test, scope for my throat, X-ray of my chest. I'm really worried now since my tongue always feels swollen and my eyes feel tired and its hard to keep them open. My doctor did a physical strength test and said I was fine. They think its all in my head as are pretty much fed up with seeing me. I feel like I can't do anything more since they don't believe me. This has been going on for 4 1/2 months now. And my doctor also said it maybe a stone but they want to do a stool sample. I am honestly thinking about calling and making another appointment be aide of my eye issues from yesterday evening. Also I have a lump that's under my right jaw line that hurts at times.. Do you know what that might be? My family thinks I'm overreacting and its just my postpartum body. Thing is, I have never felt like this I have three little boys. And thank you VeeJ I know I am worried and I just don't want to know what the next symptom is :/ and they did a simple test to check my thyroid in January and it was fine from what I was told. I need to get all my paperwork as well. I will be updating for sure, please keep in touch. Thank you again.

     
    Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 5,711
    VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Hi, Wondering. Enlargement under your jaw might be (a) enlarged lymph node, which can happen when your body is fighting an infection, like upper respiratory or something going on with a tooth; or (b) a salivary gland infection. (There are probably more possibilities, but these are two I've either had myself or seen.)

    Re: stones, did your doctor mean gallstones? I've seen people with "subacute" gallbladder problems who went months or even years before the gallbladder was pinpointed, it was so subtle at first---so I'd definitely follow thru on your ultrasound findings. In contrast, "acute" gallbladder episodes are vile and vivid, with vomiting and radiating pain that can even make you suspect a heart attack. ("Acute" would mean straight to ER, needles to say.)

    So fill us in further when you get your paperwork, but in the meantime, we're here when you feel like talking. As for your family suspecting you're just in postpartum mode, I think you're the far better judge. Especially when problems are subtle, new, and your tests are still ongoing, it's hard for people to "get it", especially if they've never experienced anything similar. I remember my (entirely robust) dad telling my mom to EAT MORE, to EXERCISE... which she eventually did... AFTER her gallbladder surgery. So just keep doing the right thing. Sending hugs, Vee

    P.S. Interesting! I just read that pregnancy increases the risk of gallstones, and so does sudden weight loss.

    Last edited by VeeJ; 04-04-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added P.S.

     
    Old 04-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    Hi, Wondering. Enlargement under your jaw might be (a) enlarged lymph node, which can happen when your body is fighting an infection, like upper respiratory or something going on with a tooth; or (b) a salivary gland infection. (There are probably more possibilities, but these are two I've either had myself or seen.)

    Re: stones, did your doctor mean gallstones? I've seen people with "subacute" gallbladder problems who went months or even years before the gallbladder was pinpointed, it was so subtle at first---so I'd definitely follow thru on your ultrasound findings. In contrast, "acute" gallbladder episodes are vile and vivid, with vomiting and radiating pain that can even make you suspect a heart attack. ("Acute" would mean straight to ER, needles to say.)

    So fill us in further when you get your paperwork, but in the meantime, we're here when you feel like talking. As for your family suspecting you're just in postpartum mode, I think you're the far better judge. Especially when problems are subtle, new, and your tests are still ongoing, it's hard for people to "get it", especially if they've never experienced anything similar. I remember my (entirely robust) dad telling my mom to EAT MORE, to EXERCISE... which she eventually did... AFTER her gallbladder surgery. So just keep doing the right thing. Sending hugs, Vee

    P.S. Interesting! I just read that pregnancy increases the risk of gallstones, and so does sudden weight loss.
    Yeah, I was stressing out a little after having my baby and wasn't eating much, then realized I lost a bunch of weight. So I'm kind of freaking out that maybe I lost muscle as well :/ I've been pretty skinny my whole life. I've learned my lesson on googling. I've made an appointment with the optometrist to check my eyes but mainly for strength of it because my eyelids have been so weak lately. I've. Called the ENT to see if they can check out my throat and tongue again.

    Next week I'm doing a stool sample so hopefully from there I will be getting somewhere. I've been going to the doctors since last year in November and only now are they doing test.. Should I maybe be pushing harder? Because as of right now the whole clinic and doctors are so tired of me and think I'm just anxious. We also found out that we will be stationed in North Dakota in July, so maybe there will be better doctors there. I'm just worried about what the next symptom will be. My family will be driving to California for a little vacation and am worried that I may have some symptom and be in the country away from help, or am I just over thinking things? Thank you VeeJ. Hope you are doing well

     
    Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 5,711
    VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Hi. Alas, my crystal ball isn't so trustworthy (even for myself), so I can't know whether you're pushing hard enough or pushing too hard. But how are you doing with your tests and how are you feeling? Hope things are looking up!

     
    Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    Hi. Alas, my crystal ball isn't so trustworthy (even for myself), so I can't know whether you're pushing hard enough or pushing too hard. But how are you doing with your tests and how are you feeling? Hope things are looking up!
    Hi VeeJ, I am doing alright. We are having a little vacation down in California. I took the stool sample so I'm hoping that I can get some answers this week. I also went to see the ent and he noticed swelling only in the right side of my throat... Which is weird because my right arm and right leg and foot have been having problems with stiffness lately which makes me worried. Seems like possibly something in the neuro department. My uvula looks like its going to the left as well. My doctor wants me to try Prilosec to see if it may help, but I do not have acid reflux. He also wants me to do some blood test as well and after 2 weeks he wants a CT scan if my throat area. I keep telling my gp that I'm worried it could be a neuro disease, he did a strength test and examined me and said I don't have any weakness... But I am just worried. I also have a diviated septum and don't ever remember having this or maybe it got worse during or after my third child. My skin is also thinner and some parts like my neck feel tighter. My voice is hoarse.. I'm hoping this is nothing too serious... I feel like my gp is helping me with my stomach issues and my ent with throat and tongue issues.. He says the stiffness I should do stretches.. I don't think stiffness is normal! I have heard some women in postpartum do have stiffness but mines is mainly fingers and my skin feeling so tight! I wonder if I need to make another appointment :/

     
    Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #9
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 5,711
    VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Wondering, when you get the blood labs done, you could verify in advance which he's running. Hopefully he'll include tests for ANA, bilirubin, Celiac, thyroid, Vitamin D, etc., and maybe others here could suggest others (not that we're doctors). Also, make sure to get copies of all labs & the CT, and keep us posted, OK? Wishing you luck. P.S. Enjoy your holiday!

     
    Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    Wondering, when you get the blood labs done, you could verify in advance which he's running. Hopefully he'll include tests for ANA, bilirubin, Celiac, thyroid, Vitamin D, etc., and maybe others here could suggest others (not that we're doctors). Also, make sure to get copies of all labs & the CT, and keep us posted, OK? Wishing you luck. P.S. Enjoy your holiday!
    Thank you! I'm thinking maybe I will just wait till my stool test comes up and go from there. Then if nothing request the ANA test. I've just been feeling so fatigued. I notice my muscle spasms a little more when sitting or laying down. Still have big tongue issues 247. Think I will do those blood test the ent wanted for angioadema... Something like that. He thinks it will come out normal. How could I even approach my doctor for more testing? I feel like there's an issue but he doesn't think so :/ I wish I could just get all the blood work done :/ thank you VeeJ we are heading back home for 10 hour drive. Then fishing

     
    Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ladybud's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 6,099
    ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Wondering, I just noticed your thread and thought I'd respond with a few thoughts. After reading through all your symptoms, I would strongly suspect an autoimmune disorder, and think you need to see some specialists, including a neurologist and rheumatologist. Your GI Dr. should follow up on the shadow in gallbladder, which usually indicates a stone, and that can increase the bilirubin. So can hemolytic anemia which can occur in some AI disorders. Your symptoms cover a wide variety of possibilities, so I think tests should be done to rule out all of them. Neuro should rule out Myasthenia Gravis because of the heavy eyelids and muscle weakness, MS because of the muscle twitches and paresthesias, and Vit B 12 deficiency, an easy blood test. This vitamin deficiency is common in AI disorders and can cause all sorts of weird neuro symptoms-easy to treat, and see what S&S go away. Rheum should test for all the common AI disorders like Sjogren's (swollen salivary glands, dry mouth dry eyes), scleroderma (tight skin sensations), lupus and RA (joint pains and stiffness), myositis (muscle weakness), and I'm sure some clues will emerge. Many women present with autoimmune disorders after childbirth, as the increased hormones during pregnancy seem to trigger these. In addition, your thyroid should be checked out, both hormones and antibodies (Hashimoto's). I know this sounds extensive, but something is going on with you, and your Drs need to get past thinking this is anxiety! I hope your vacation goes well, and you get a good workup in a timely manner when you get home.

     
    Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Wondering, I just noticed your thread and thought I'd respond with a few thoughts. After reading through all your symptoms, I would strongly suspect an autoimmune disorder, and think you need to see some specialists, including a neurologist and rheumatologist. Your GI Dr. should follow up on the shadow in gallbladder, which usually indicates a stone, and that can increase the bilirubin. So can hemolytic anemia which can occur in some AI disorders. Your symptoms cover a wide variety of possibilities, so I think tests should be done to rule out all of them. Neuro should rule out Myasthenia Gravis because of the heavy eyelids and muscle weakness, MS because of the muscle twitches and paresthesias, and Vit B 12 deficiency, an easy blood test. This vitamin deficiency is common in AI disorders and can cause all sorts of weird neuro symptoms-easy to treat, and see what S&S go away. Rheum should test for all the common AI disorders like Sjogren's (swollen salivary glands, dry mouth dry eyes), scleroderma (tight skin sensations), lupus and RA (joint pains and stiffness), myositis (muscle weakness), and I'm sure some clues will emerge. Many women present with autoimmune disorders after childbirth, as the increased hormones during pregnancy seem to trigger these. In addition, your thyroid should be checked out, both hormones and antibodies (Hashimoto's). I know this sounds extensive, but something is going on with you, and your Drs need to get past thinking this is anxiety! I hope your vacation goes well, and you get a good workup in a timely manner when you get home.
    Thank you Ladybud! I have been dealing with this since November of last year! I feel like it is my fault for making an appointment non stop since his birth. I've been seen so much for different symptoms that I made a list and he went over them all with me after seeing me for 20+ different times.. I just don't know how to approach this doctor.. They will only see me for one appointment at a time. Before my appointment I went to see the doctor again for my stiff leg and foot and he checked everything out, he said he could feel the stiffness and to do calf stretches... :/ and sent me on my way.. I've been going so much and get those same answers. He asked me how my ent appointment went and I told them they were taking blood work and he goes well ill just let them figure it out and they probably went overboard... Ugh! I've gone to the er a bunch of times and nothing... Sent me on my way, swallowing and speech therapy did nothing for me as well :/ so the ent doc wants me to try Prilosec to see if this helps any. I'm just so lost. I'm only 26 and feel so old. We're heading back home for a few. Thank you guys so much!

     
    Old 04-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ladybud's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 6,099
    ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Part of the problem here may be that one symptom at a time has been looked at, instead of all of them together. I would make a brief, concise list of all symptoms, grouping similar ones together, such as muscle pain, weakness, tenderness, spasm, etc., and say something like, "I wonder if I could have an autoimmune disease starting?". If he blows this off, ask for a referral to a rheum and neuro. If he doesn't, and shows any interest, ask him to do a screening workup for AI disorders, which would include a complete blood count, chemistry panel, urine exam, sed rate and CRP for inflammation, ANA (lupus, and others), RA and anti-CCP(rheumatoid arthritis), RNP (mixed connective tissue disease),Vit B 12 level, thyroid hormone profile and anti-thyroid antibody levels. He will not likely do any myasthenia tests, but might (anti-ACH). The neuro can do that later. Any tests that he will do will give you a head start when you see the specialists, and they can fill in any gaps. Good luck with this!

     
    Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
    checkers10
    Member
    (female)
     
    checkers10's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Location: Tennessee
    Posts: 69
    checkers10 HB Usercheckers10 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Keep us updated! I have been reading along as I have many of your symptoms! Started with a UTI in July...they had me on 5 different antibiotics before it stopped and still feel like I am going to get it back...Dry mouth.. swollen nodes in neck... eye floaters.....ear pain....joint pain ......blurred vision.....Muscle spasms...I also have hair loss, left lower pain....rib pain (can be caused by acid reflux meds)... I just had my Gall Bladder removed but symptoms have not improved, I had a stone and sludge (this can cause yellow or light stools). Also look up Silent Reflux...I have that which can cause some of your symptoms. Iam going to another ENT Monday....I have had my thyroid checked....cbc...urinscopy...metabolic panel....abdominal x-ray...complete pelvic and abdominal ultrasound.....neck ultrasound

     
    Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
    Wondering189
    Member
    (female)
     
    Wondering189's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Posts: 88
    Wondering189 HB User
    Re: Odd symptoms

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by checkers10 View Post
    Keep us updated! I have been reading along as I have many of your symptoms! Started with a UTI in July...they had me on 5 different antibiotics before it stopped and still feel like I am going to get it back...Dry mouth.. swollen nodes in neck... eye floaters.....ear pain....joint pain ......blurred vision.....Muscle spasms...I also have hair loss, left lower pain....rib pain (can be caused by acid reflux meds)... I just had my Gall Bladder removed but symptoms have not improved, I had a stone and sludge (this can cause yellow or light stools). Also look up Silent Reflux...I have that which can cause some of your symptoms. Iam going to another ENT Monday....I have had my thyroid checked....cbc...urinscopy...metabolic panel....abdominal x-ray...complete pelvic and abdominal ultrasound.....neck ultrasound
    Wow! I thought I was all alone! I have an appointment next Monday and will be demanding answers! The speech/swallowing specialist says it sounds like it could be silent reflux. But that still doesn't explain my stiff fingers and other symptoms . Wish me luck.. Lets hope they don't say it's anxiety! Lol

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!