It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid surgery with normal tsh levels

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
    tmshaw1976
    (female)

tmshaw1976 HB User
    Question Thyroid surgery with normal tsh levels

I need help. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I have an enlarged thyroid with several hard nodules and liquid filled cysts. I am scheduled for surgery later this month to have my thyroid removed. I guess my question is, is there anybody out there that has had normal tsh levels and had their thyroid removed? Did you feel better afterwards? I stay constantly fatigued and hormonal. I can't keep it together long enough to even go to the grocery store. Please, tell me I am not the only one that has this problem and tell me that it will get better. I guess I fear that the only thing that will improve is the choking sensation and the lump in my throat, since it seems to be producing enough hormone. I am overweight and am hoping that it will help with that as well.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Thyroid surgery with normal tsh levels

Hi and welcome. I've only read that surgery is sometimes required for nodules, cysts, or trouble breathing & swallowing (meaning I have no personal experience). In your shoes, though, I would cover the usual bases that one covers before any surgery. e.g., did you try meds that *might* ameliorate your problems (but perhaps thyroid meds can't correct these, I don't know). Were biopsy or other confirming tests (like ultrasound or imaging) done? (Several of my friends had needle biopsies for nodules, to rule out cancer, but no surgery b/c their breathing & swallowing weren't affected.) Did you seek a second surgical opinion?

Please let us know how you're doing & what happens, OK? I really hope others with more experience add more, but I do want to wish you the very best. Sincerely, Vee

Reply Reply

Tags
    losing hope, nodules, normal tsh, thyroid surgery, weight gain