It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Mystery!!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #16
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Mystery!!

Another thought: prepare a timeline. First list your symptoms by date of onset, annotating each symptom with its typical frequency & duration. Then, still keeping your list chronological, insert the dates you began each med. Then read up on med side effects, to see which of your subsequent symptoms (if any) might be attributable to your meds. Finally, insert all abnormal lab results.

With your ongoing meds, you've got more to sort out than I did, but maybe worth a try? (When I did a timeline for myself, for the first time ever I wondered whether sun was triggering my rashes & exacerbating my other symptoms.) Hang in there & let us know what happens. Sending hugs, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
    zipster
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zipster HB User

Just reading my letter the gastroenterologist wrote to my doctor last year and it doesn't make sense.
    It says further to my previous correspondence when i mentioned that her liver function tests had improved significantly and we had also seen out-ranged serum lipids, this clinical picture is not obvious and not typical for having autoimmune hepatitis. Given these equivocal results i am going to arrange an ultrasound guilded liver biopsy to exclude any possible underlying autoimmune or lupoid hepatitis in the background.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #18
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. With your new comment citing elevated serum lipids, I think that brings your test findings to 4, right? ANA, elevated ALT, elevated RF, and elevated lipids? Serum lipids elevate for a variety of reasons, including high-fat diet, family tendency, and liver disease [list not exhaustive].

If there IS a single problem underlying all abnormal labs and symptoms, my sense is that right now, your doctors view liver at the top of the list of candidates. I suspect (but can't know, of course) that your gastro felt that the improvement in your liver values argued somewhat against AIH---yet your picture remains "equivocal" (ambiguous) and thus warrants a liver biopsy, to investigate (presumably) both AIH and other forms of liver disease. Please let us know what happens. Sending my best.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zipster View Post
    Ok veej heres all i have had tested;
    ana pattern
    anti gastric parietal cell
    anti nuclear antibody
    anti mitochondrial antibody
    anti smooth muscle antibody
    ds dna antibody
    anti ccp was slightly high 21
    serum electrophoresis
    IgM
    IgG
    ena jo-1 antibody
    ena scl-70 antibody
    ena anti-la antibody
    ena ro
    ena sm ab
    ena rnp sm
    centromere ab
    I haven't a clue what most of these are but they were negative.
    Here's an idea of what these tests are for: ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) is general for several autoimmunes, classic test for lupus as well. Anti-parietal cell is a test related to pernicious anemia, caused by Vit B12 deficiency and inability to absorb it. Anti-mitochondrial and anti-smooth muscle are for autoimmune hepatitis and primary biliary cirrhosis. dsDNA is for lupus. Anti-CCP is for rheumatoid arthritis. Serum electrophoresis, IGM IGG are all for general immune information, including deficiencies. ENA SCL-70 (scleroderma), ENA Jo1 (polymyositis), ENA RNP (mixed connective tissue disease)

Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

ENA Ro and LA for lupus and Sjogren's, ENA sm specific for lupus. Sorry I accidently hit post before finished. Centromere related to CREST (a variant of scleroderma). This is a simplified explanation overall, as so many overlaps in conditions occur.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #21
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Zipster, the paracetamol and pain killers with acetaminophen, like hydrocodone and oxycodone, are all very hard on liver. If you have that much pain, perhaps a non steroidal like Naproxen would give you better relief and protect your liver. Given the info on your meds, the LFT elevation could certainly be a side effect from the pain meds, and the enzymes could go down without them (I would wait a couple of weeks at least before retesting.) Personally, I would do that before getting a biopsy. I would also see a rheum because of the anti-CCP being positive. Have you had a sed rate and CRP? Any joint xrays looking for erosions? The rheum would do that. Also you might ask for a ferritin level to rule out hemochromatosis, an iron overload that affects the liver and causes arthritis.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #22
    zipster
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zipster HB User

Just rang my gp's for blood results and i have to get them done again on friday because my potassium wasn't right but she didn't say high or low. So i am worrying even more now because something is definitely hurting in my side/back.

Reply Reply