It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Spinal Headache - Odd Head Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
    krystine77
    (female)

krystine77 HB User
    Spinal Headache - Odd Head Symptoms

Hello There,

I had a lumbar puncture over 2 weeks ago. About 30 minutes after the procedure I started to get pressure in my head, but was sent home after about an hour. I followed directions by laying flat for over 24 hours, drank plenty of fluids and caffeine. By day 2 the headache/neck pain was so bad that I had to call the doctor and go to the emergency room. They wanted to do a blood patch, but every time I have something invasive done I end up with more issues, so I talked to the anesthesiologist and decided to try and get better on my own. I had to stay in bed for almost 10 days due to the pain. I later started having pins and needles in my head and face, current type/crawling feelings around my head, continued pressure in head/face, intermittent stabbing pains, and heaviness. I also had major vertigo for days, but that has gotten somewhat better. I saw my doctor today and told him my concerns and he agreed that the blood patch might not be a good idea for me because of my other issues. He ordered a CT scan of the head to make sure everything was okay, and it came back normal. Though I can now sit up for periods of time, I am still having all of these issues going on and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced these things and how long it took you to heal. Also-I do not have a history of severe headaches and none of this was happening until I had the lumbar puncture. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
    Re: Spinal Headache - Odd Head Symptoms

Wow that sounds awful! I have had a spinal tap and had a horrific headache for a few days, but I guess I was one of the 95-98% who got a blood patch and the headache was gone in a few hours. You didn't say why you were getting the lumbar punch, and that could impact my answer, but it is also none of our business-I understand if you want to keep it private.
    I hope you are feeling better soon! I don't get the tingling and current feeling-unless the doctor hit a nerve while he was back there, but that seems kind of unlikely due to how the procedure is done. I hope you get some answers, or some pain relief soon!
    Remember though-don't take anything that can thin the blood, as it can make the healing of the puncture take much longer.
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Closed Thread