It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• HELP! Please make sense of my MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
    samson101
    (male)

samson101 HB User
    HELP! Please make sense of my MRI

I am getting the run around with my latest MRI results and the doc I'm seeing isn't explaining much of anything, if any of you could please let me know what any or some of this means. I am a 24 year old male with constant lower back pain.

Exam: MR- Lumbar Spine without Contrast

Reason for Exam: hypermobile vertebrae and schmorls nodes. please evaluate for extravasaton of disc material at L4-S1.

Additional History: Twenty-four-year-old male with low back pain and a history of Schmorls nodes.

Technique: Sagittal and axial images of the lumbar spine were obtained using various pulse sequences. The images are viewed on the digital PACS monitor.

Findings: The sagittal images demonstrate normal lumbar alignment with no evidence of subluxation. The vertebral body heights are well maintained at all lumbar levels. Mild disc space narrowing and minimal ventral extradural defects are noted at L4-5, L3-4, and L2-3 on the sagittal images. The findings will be further evaulated on the axial images. The remaining disc space heights are well maintained within the lumbar spine. Decreased signal intensity is present within the L4-5, L3-4, and L2-3 disc spaces on the T2-weighted sagittal images consistent with multilevel disc desiccation. The conus medullaris of the spinal cord is normal in signal intensity and is in its normal anatomic position. Schmorls nodes are incidentally noted within the superior endplates of the L5, L4 and L3 vertebral bodies.

The L5-S1 and L1-2 levels demonstrate no evidence of disc bulges, focal disc herniation, centeral canal stenosis, bilateral facet joint disease or bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

The L4-5, L3-4 and L2-3 levels demonstrate minimal broad-based disc bulges with no eveidence of focal disc herniation, central canal stenosis, bilateral facet joint disease or significant bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

Impression:

1. Minimal broad-based disc bulges with no evidence of focal disc herniation, central canal stenosis, bilateral facet joint disease or significant bilateral neural foraminal narrowing are demonstrated at the L4-5, L3-4 and L2-3 levels.

2. The L5-S1 and L1-2 leveles are unremarkable as outlined above.

3. Schmorls nodes are incidentally noted within the anterior aspects of the superior endplates of the L5, L4, and L3 vertebral bodies.

4. Signal changes of disc desiccation are present within the L4-5, L3-4, and L2-3 disc spaces on the T2-weighted sagittal images.

5. The noncontrast MRI ecam of the lumbar spine is otherwise unremarkable as outlined above. No evidence of subluxation is demonstrated on the sagittal images.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    lumbar, lumbar pain, mri help