It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Spinal tilf bone fusion l4 l5 S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
    Kormack
    (male)

Kormack HB User
    Spinal tilf bone fusion l4 l5 S1

Hello guys just a quick one i have had the tilf l4 l5 S1 bspinal bone fusion and i am wrecked and i mean wrecked i have severe leg and back pain so severe my legs wobble and gave way leaving me a crippled agonising wreck were ever i have tried to walk or sit for to long omg the pain is horrendouse my pain siatica was left leg now it is my right ,
    i am not sleeping , i titch out in bed that wakes me from the little sleep i do get in absolute agony , my level of life at the moment is total crap
    my wife bless her is doing everything she can
    but i know it takes time and low things down but so help me ,
    i never ever experianced pain like it, it feels like my torso is to heavy for my hips
    do not mean to be a sourpuss or moan it but honestly has anyone else had the same experiance sorry about grammer i can not sit long enough to correct it took me ages to write this
    sorry to be a cry baby but dam i do not do crying but this !!!! has my life litteratly will it get better and am i doing to much miving walking ect and my body is screaming to not move most the day

A very sorryfull pitifull mess

Gavin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Spinal tilf bone fusion l4 l5 S1

Welcome to the board. Sorry you are in so much pain. How long ago was the surgery? Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

I see you are located in England. I cannot say what is fairly typical post surgery in your country, so will just comment based on what occurs in the US.

My first fusion was at L4-5 and I was really out of it for the first eight weeks. In hindsight, I think I was more medicated than I needed to be...but I was pretty helpless for the first two weeks.

Two years later I had another surgery and ended up fused from L3 to S1. That experience was entirely different, even though the surgery was much more complex and involved some spinal reconstruction. At day four my leg pain went away and I was off all medication by the 12th day. Having experienced close to the worst and best immediate recovery periods, I can tell you it is normal to be in some pain, and the first week to ten days can be excruciating, but you should start to see improvement after that...gradual though it may be.

If you had severe nerve compression, or, for whatever reason, the surgeon had to work hard to free up a spinal nerve, you can end up with nerve pain that is worse than what you experienced pre-surgery, and it can be in a new location.

However, I usually tell people that if you do not see some progress, even a teeny bit, you should go back to the surgeon and get checked out. With my first fusion, I ended up having a MRI at three weeks post surgery because I was in so much pain, to check on hardware placement and to try to figure out what was causing the pain. Occasionally hardware has shifted, or a screw is touching a nerve, or something.

If everything checks out OK, the surgeon should be able to give you some medication for nerve pain like gabapentin/Neurontin, etc.

Are you wearing a back brace? That would help with the feeling of torso "heaviness."

Many surgeons restrict their patients to a 15 minute time limit when sitting. Sitting puts more than 30% more stress on the lumbar spine than standing or lying down. I was only allowed to sit when eating meals for the first six weeks.

Walking is very important as it stretches out the spinal nerves. This helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to a nerve when it is forming and filling in during the first twelve weeks post surgery. For this reason, it is important to take short, frequent walks...like every couple hours get up and walk back and forth your house or a hallway. Later on, you will need to walk further and for longer periods, but early on, short walks done often are best.

Since growing new bone cells requires lots of energy, it is important to allow yourself to rest.
    With my first fusion, I got too stiff and sore if I tried to sleep "all night," so I divided up a 24 hour day into 4 hour periods. I would get up, walk around the house, eat something, use the bathroom and nap or sleep...then, start all over...about every four hours. We had moved a twin bed into the den so I didn't have to go up and down stairs to get to my bedroom. This schedule worked best for me....I encourage you to experiment until you find something that works best for you.

Things do get better...but it can take some time. It helps to know from your doctor that things are in place and nothing is really "wrong."

I am happy to try to answer any questions that come up. Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
    Kormack
    (male)

Kormack HB User
    Re: Spinal tilf bone fusion l4 l5 S1

[QUOTE=Kormack;5370762]Hello guys just a quick one i have had the tilf l4 l5 S1 bspinal bone fusion and i am wrecked and i mean wrecked i have severe leg and back pain so severe my legs wobble and gave way leaving me a crippled agonising wreck were ever i have tried to walk or sit for to long omg the pain is horrendouse my pain siatica was left leg now it is my right ,
    i am not sleeping , i titch out in bed that wakes me from the little sleep i do get in absolute agony , my level of life at the moment is total crap
    my wife bless her is doing everything she can
    but i know it takes time and low things down but so help me ,
    i never ever experianced pain like it, it feels like my torso is to heavy for my hips
    do not mean to be a sourpuss or moan it but honestly has anyone else had the same experiance sorry about grammer i can not sit long enough to correct it took me ages to write this
    sorry to be a cry baby but dam i do not do crying but this !!!! has my life litteratly will it get better and am i doing to much miving walking ect and my body is screaming to not move most the day

A very sorryfull pitifull mess

Gavin [/QUOTE]

Old 07-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
    Kormack
    (male)

Kormack HB User
    Unhappy Re: Spinal tilf bone fusion l4 l5 S1

|Hi terri
    yes i wear a brace and i am on the max meds they can give me ie tremadol gabipentine
    transtec patches too
    i have suffered from this problem from approx 12 years ihad a failed micro disceptomy ans suffered scar tissue as a result from the micro disceptomy all my major problems have come from that operation , they gave my a electro conductivity test and said the nerve was damaged from being pinched for so long
    they offered me my bone fusion what a recently had , i feel like the top of my body is too heavy for the operation i sweat buckets and if i raise my body in any way the nerve pain stops me dead , same as when i lay and turn , walk , or sit in the same position , i am hoping the pain will subside eventually
    i keep myself walking as best i can and move frequently , in my sleep i must kick out and it wakes me to the point of crying
    also i am bloated and have to take lactoluce gel to soften me up , before the op i would go 3 times a day now i am lucky if i have 1 in 5 days just feel pretty helpless and like i am a lost cause thank you for your kind reply
    Gavin

Closed Thread

Tags
    spinal fusion