It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Foot Pain After Microdiscectomy L5-S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
    PipefitterJGC
    (male)

PipefitterJGC HB User
    Foot Pain After Microdiscectomy L5-S1

I had a microdiscectomy almost 4 weeks do to the disc pinching my sciatic nerve. The pain before the surgery went from my left butt cheek down to my foot, and felt like someone was sticking a knife in my hip and calf. Since the Surgery I have had sever nerve pain in my left foot in the ball of my foot to my toes. I am currently on gabapentin pills and gabapentin cream. I was just looking to see if any one had any ideas what could help get me off the recliner. Or any ideas whether this would go away or how long this usually lasts. Thanks Jake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: Foot Pain After Microdiscectomy L5-S1

4 weeks is not a lot of time and many people see improvements up to a couple of years after the surgery. Its very difficult to say how long that pain might last assuming its not due to any new nerve damage or compression caused by the surgery. That said, moderate walking on a flat surface is critical to healing to prevent the formation of scar tissue that will irritate the nerves.

Have you had a follow up with your surgeon yet? They should be able to perform imaging that validates the surgery removed the existing compression and that there is no new compression visible. If so, they should also be able to adjust your medication to give you more relief during your healing process. Adding anti-depressant medication such as lyrics in conjunction with gabapentin has been shown to increase effectiveness for instance.

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
    capsdad
    (male)

capsdad HB Usercapsdad HB User

Now you're speaking my language. I've had 3 lumbar surgeries. The last one was a fusion. That was 16 months ago. My butt, calf and foot have been in horrible pain for three years. None of the surgeries helped at all. You could have reherniated. I was told by a few doctors at this point my pain is permanent. They told me to get used to a life of pain. I hope you get better

Old 07-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Capsdad, I just wondered if you had seen anyone at Jefferson/Rothman Institute?

It is pretty standard thought that if a nerve has been compressed and/or damaged for as long as three years,nothing can be done and you are left with permanent nerve damage. I was told that too but I kept searching for answers, and was finally rewarded by finding a surgeon who was able to help me. No, I am not completely restored as I still have some residual numbness in my feet, but I was able to get rid of all sciatic pain, leg pain, etc. I can now walk or stand as long as I want.

I hate to see you having to resort to pain management.

Closed Thread

Tags
    microdiscectomy