It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Herniated disc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
    kkat117
    (female)

kkat117 HB User
    Herniated disc

hi, I'm a 26 year old woman with a herniated disc between L4 and L5. I herniated it about two years ago. First I was given Naproxen and metaxalone (while I waited to see a neurosurgeon) then I went through physical therapy while regularly going to a chiropractor. None of the treatments helped significantly. I was told I needed surgery but was talked out of it by family (which I now VERY much regret.) It got better but I have not had a good quality of life since then. I was able to walk for about 40 minutes on flat ground without major issues but otherwise couldn't do anything I used to do.

Recently I aggravated it and have been in so much pain it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. The pain has gradually been getting worse every day for the past week and a half. Depending on how I am walking and placing my feet the pain get be dull and achy to sharp and stabbing and making my head spin. When it is at its worst I also seem to get cramping in most of my lower abdomen (unsure if that is related to the disc or not...but it seems to follow it) it feels like diarrhea and menstrual cramps combined but I haven't had diarrhea and am no where close to my period starting. I have tried stretches that I learned in physical therapy but they haven't helped other than when I am holding the stretch.

I also get very bad muscles spasms. They always start when I am walking. I feel the muscles clenching tighter the more I walk until I am unable to move. Once I sit or lean over they subside. Depending on how long I keep walking after it starts, I feel them all the way up my back to around where the bottom of the band of my bra is.

I have been trying to get ahold of my neurosurgeon, but they haven't responded to me call (I left a message Thursday afternoon) and am concerned about the cramping and wondering if it is related to the disc and it if is any cause for concern.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Herniated disc

Welcome to the board. It sounds like you may have herniated the disc again. Keep trying to get in touch with your doctor. I would think he will want a MRI to see what is going on.

Try icing for the pain. 15 minutes per hour round the clock, if necessary.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cramping, herniated disk, muscle spasms