It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

PCLF March 7th. Thank you for your stories.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
kimmi664
(female)

kimmi664 HB User
PCLF March 7th. Thank you for your stories.

Hello all,
I just had a 4 level PCLF done last Monday March 7th, and am having my friend write this for me. I just wanted to thank you because before I had time to post for my first time I did get to read the sticky tabs on post op prep and many post from people who already had my surgery. Your post and advice are worth more than all the doctors I have had put together. I can not say I was treated well. That is more like a book then a post. But with the knowledge that I got from this site I am surviving. That is saying a lot for I did not get any real information from my doctor's, staff or hospital. I'm sure there are some great doctors out there, the one who did my right hip replacement was one of the greatest doctors I have ever met and my recovery was amazing due to him. So it is not all bad! So I just wanted to say thank you and God Bless you all that have gone through any health issues in this crazy health system we have. Many thanks and Hugs to you all. (((hugs)))....
Kimmi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: PCLF March 7th. Thank you for your stories.

Welcome to the board. I am happy if you found some useful tips on this board. Please come back often as questions pop up during your recovery.

Most spine surgeons have never had back surgery so they aren't very helpful in dispensing useful tips! Plus they don't have time to cover the basics let alone tips that will make your life easier in recovery. The advice I received from people on this board helped me so much. I would always think of questions as I was driving home from my doctor's appointment.

Things will get better! The first couple weeks can be rough. The most important think for you now is to rest and take many short walks. Walking stretches out the spinal nerves better than any other activity. It helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it is forming and filling in during the first twelve weeks. You don't need to go far but it is very important to walk many times per day...just around your house, up and down a hallway or similar. If you set an alarm to take meds during the night, try to take a few laps around the room.

Drink lots of water and fluids. Don't allow yourself to become constipated! Also, limit sitting to 10-15 minutes a couple times a day. Otherwise, when not walking, recline with pillows supporting you well, or lie down.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
kimmi664
(female)

kimmi664 HB User
Re: PCLF March 7th. Thank you for your stories.

Teteri66
Thank you for your helpful and insightful post. Sorry it took so long to get back for I am not on the computer much at this time. It has been one heck of a ride I must tell you that, but reading the post prior to the surgery I some what knew what to expect. Though nothing can really prepare you for this trama. I do a lot of walking around the house each day. My caregiver looks out for my meds and meals so I am getting the proper amount of TLC in that respect. I love photography and am starting to take some pictures when able to. I have so much to discuss in the future. I sit long enough to ask questions yet. I have lots of nerves waking up for the first time but I am not as worried for the post on here were so helpful. I think one of the best pieces of advice was the recliner. I am sleeping well and can adjust it to where I am most comfortable. Thank you again for your advice. May you have a happy, healthy and pain free spring.

Kimmi

Last edited by Administrator; 04-07-2016 at 04:53 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
back fusion, cervical canal stenosis, ddd thoracic cervical spine nerve, hip replacement surgery, lumbar disk herniation