It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post op cervical laminectomy question.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
    kimmi664
    (female)

kimmi664 HB User
    Question Post op cervical laminectomy question.

Greetings
    I had 4 level C3-C6 laminectomy with fusion done on March 7th of this year. This board has been a wonderful source of information. I have a question though about the burning and the pain. Many of the pain issues that occur throughout my body come and go. I was just wondering though about the burning in my neck and shoulders, primarily of the left side more than the right. I do have a pain management doctor who is supposed to control this, but the burning just breaks right through the medications.
    Does anyone know of any good alternatives to reduce the burning pain in the neck and shoulders? I do know that it is typical for this type of pain being only 4 weeks post op. I hear that 12 weeks is when things should start to get better, but until then what can I do to decrease the pain and burning I feel? I have a rigid cervical brace that I wear most of the time. I have a recliner that helps me sleep, (such a blessing) I do a lot of walking throughout the day and some very mild activities. But nothing can touch this burning when it comes, and it comes often!
    Please if there is anyone out there that has any good advice please share it.

Thank you for your time
    Kimmi

Last edited by Administrator; 04-07-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Post op cervical laminectomy question.

Unfortunately, the burning is a natural part of healing. ligaments and soft tissue have been stretched, aggravated and perhaps cut to some extent. As they heal and rejuvenate it causes a burning sensation from time to time.

This is true for nerves as well...but takes or can take much, much longer. The tissue repair/burning can take from weeks to months to finish up and complete.

Hang in there. Follow your surgeon's instructions carefully. You will get better!

Old 04-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
    kimmi664
    (female)

kimmi664 HB User

teteri66
    Thank you again for the information. The information from my doctor is what you might say subpar. What I learned from them I already knew from reading the HB boards. It's almost like they did not want to give me to much information because of litigation reasons or something. I like my doctor and staff but the communication from that is slim to none. I don't see the doctor for two more months Grrrrrr. I have called to get info but no one calls back. I did not get my collar until my first visit with the surgeon 10 days after surgery, it was like he was shocked I did not have a collar on already. The burning is constant in my neck, shoulders and back but when I take my collar off it seems to calm down a notch or so. I know from others like you that this is a very long road, unlike the way the doctor treats it like it's a minor surgery. I thank you and the others on here for all the advise, for if I did not find this site beforehand I would be crawling up the walls.
    Much thanks,
    Kimmi

Old 04-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
    capatga
    (female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

I agree with teteri66
    I had the burning and pain for months ,part of the healing process. Keep us undated on your progress.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
    kimmi664
    (female)

kimmi664 HB User

Sorry I miss posted this wrong...

Last edited by kimmi664; 04-13-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: miss posted

Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
    kimmi664
    (female)

kimmi664 HB User
    Wink Re: Post op cervical laminectomy question.

Thank you for your advice, that is very kind of you to reach out to comfort me at this time. I am now at 5 weeks post op and doing better, I have some good and bad moments. I heard it was a uphill battle to start with the information from the post and people who have gone through this and taking the time to write. Thanks to the members like you it just calms my nerves down a bit (no pun intended). I wish you much health and thank you for your time. I will keep posting, just having problems logging in but I think they worked all the bugs out for me. Thank you to admin.

Last edited by kimmi664; 04-13-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Privacy

Reply Reply

Tags
    back fusion, cervical fusion post op, cervical fusion surgery fatigue, cervical surgery, spine surgery