It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Was in a car accident 3 years ago, still in extreme pain. What should I do?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
    Parkerinpain
    (female)

Parkerinpain HB User
    Exclamation Was in a car accident 3 years ago, still in extreme pain. What should I do?

To start off when I was 17 turning 21 in july, on February 13th, 2013 I was in a major car accident. Hit a stop light pole going 90pmh, I was in the passenger seat and the pole had impact on my side.
    At first i felt no pain due to the Adrenalin and shock and the extreme amount of morphine they gave me (which i didn't know that was in my IV so i thought I was just high on life from the accident- or dead)
    The next day I was fine, Morphine was being put through my IV and they gave me hydros 10mg, but honestly it didn't help at the time as I was just in shock and I couldn't even stand up. When I got my wisdom teeth removed, I was prescribed 7.5 mg hydros and it actually helped with my RLS and the shoulder blade pain- I am assuming this because my mouth pain was not too badd.
    I went to my dr's office (my old loving, personable and understanding dr left a week before i got in an accident and i was so upset) the dr. that took over gave me muscle relaxers and told me to go to another dr. for a ct scan I told him I have already had one done and can have it sent over, he said no he needed it done at a different hospital. Didn't ask me questions, symptoms or really care, he was in the room for less than 10 minutes. I was then prescribed cymbalta, another muscle relaxer, lexapro and paxil, not at the same time though. None of them helped.
    My pain is in my neck, shoulders, shoulder blades, the muscles next to the spine, my tail bone and lower back, the sides of my rear end and behind the upper half of my thighs. I am constantly tired, I began getting symptoms of RLS late last year of 2015. Now they are horrible, sometimes I cannot fall asleep without staying up until 4-7am in pain or falling asleep for 1-2hrs then waking up in agony.
    I am seeing a new dr. tomorrow or Friday but I am unsure what to do because I am scared they will not care like my last doctor. I've read up on fibromyalgia and the things that were listed to help the pain are things I already do or have already been prescribed to me, but again, I am unsure what is wrong with me. I sit at a computer all day at work now + college classes. I have to do multiple stretches throughout the day, I workout 3 days a week at home, try to obtain a healthy diet, I get massages monthly and even my massage therapist told me I need to go to the doctor as my legs aren't even when i stand (picture it as one pant leg being longer than the other or standing with a limp) and that there is something putting pressure it my sciatic in my tail bone. She isn't an expert like a Dr. but is certified along with being in the same situation I was in and experiencing the same things I am.
    I'm also wondering, should I tell the Dr. that I am seeing tomorrow the medicines I have already been prescribed or should I leave that out? I don't want to come off as someone that just needs medicine when in reality I just need someone or something to help me with everyday things without feeling miserable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Was in a car accident 3 years ago, still in extreme pain. What should I do?

Welcome to the board. I am sorry you are dealing with the after effects of a car accident.

Be totally honest with the new doctor and tell him whatever information he asks, including all drugs. If you conceal that information, the doctor will be more likely to think you are drug seeking.

You might want to try to find a physiatrist, (not to be confused with a physical therapist), preferably one who deals with orthopedic issues. This is another name for a Doctor of physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. If you look up AAPMR online you can read about the specialty and there is a directory of doctors that specialize in this area of medicine. This specialty would look at you system-wide to evaluate what you need to get you functioning properly again. It might see you from having to go from one doctor to another.

As I'm sure you are aware, sitting is one of the worst things we do to our bodies. People with spine issues need to get up at least every hour and move around a bit.

Another tip for seeing the new doctor: try to be specific and give examples when you talk about pain. Do not just say things like a "I am in so much pain. I can't stand the pain." Etc. Instead give an example that shows how pain affects your daily life. Make clear you want to get physically better so you can lead a more productive life without all the limitations you feel as a result of the accident. I hope this is making sense.

Please let us know how things go today!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
    Parkerinpain
    (female)

Parkerinpain HB User
    Re: Was in a car accident 3 years ago, still in extreme pain. What should I do?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I honestly never described how the pain effects my daily life to the dr. One because I didn't think to and second because he was in the room for such a short amount of time. I will be on the search for orthopedic doctor right now. Praying to get something done for this unusual sad pain.
    Oh also, the dr I was supposed to be going to has not returned my phone calls for my appointment so I may be going to someone because that's unusual.

Last edited by Parkerinpain; 04-20-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    back pain, car accident, fibromyalgia, pain medications