It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back problems - spinal conditions and commorbidity

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
    Samfire
    (female)

Samfire HB User
    Back problems - spinal conditions and commorbidity

Just a quick question. I have a few conditions going on with my back - early dx of Scheuermanns Kyphosis, mild scoliosis, along with more recent ddd of C-spine at C2-C3 with occipital neuralgia and also ddd in lumbar spine L5-S1 and bulging disc L4-L5. I get facet joint and sacroiliac injections by x-ray guidance. I get severe pain in back - referred pain from sciatica and also numbness in genitalia region and down both thighs (right side worse) and deep throbbing pain with complete numbness and tingling and cold flushing. I stiffen up when I walk and end up crippled with these symptoms which are debilitating and I cannot stand - even at the cooker for too long either anymore.

My mother has developed severe lumbar spinal stenosis and didn't catch it in time and they cannot operate on her as it's too extensive - she is 72 now and was very active and her walk now is more or less gone.

I'm wondering here is my spine starting to deteriorate, and are these issues inter-linked and more importantly, I'm wondering am I headed for a dx of spinal stenosis myself later on?? It's just I think I read somewhere that these conditions may be hereditary and I'm wondering if there's a correlation between them also.

I'd be interested in any views or thoughts. Thanks!

IBS, Scheuermanns Kyphosis, Occipital Neuralgia, DDD, Anxiety Depression; Hypertension: Fibromyalgia

Meds: Omesar 20mg; Atecor 50mg; Epilim Chrono 800mg; Seroquel 325mg; Zolpidem 10mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Back problems - spinal conditions and commorbidity

Hello and welcome to the board. Some issues are thought to have a genetic aspect to them...for example some people are born with a spinal canal that is slightly smaller in diameter and it is thought this might be hereditary. In addition, a large study was completed in 2011 that found that people with an immediate family member, such as a parent, sibling, or child, with disc-related low back pain were more than four times more likely to have low-back pain themselves.

Spinal stenosis is one of the things that most people develop to some extent as they age. The discs, which are the cushions between the bones of the spine, are comprised of something like 90% water. As we age they lose moisture and tend to flatten which puts into play a cascading series of events. The unfortunate part of this is that the spine begins its aging process in our twenties!

Given the description of your symptoms it sounds like you have some lumbar nerve compression going on. If you were in the US (and had insurance) you would most likely be a candidate for surgery. When the genital area, what we refer to as the saddle area, is affected, it is usually a problem located at the L5-S1 area....

I know how debilitating the pain from spinal stenosis is. I had it along with a spondylolisthesis at L4-5 and have had two surgeries for it...and am now fused from L3 to S1. Before I had surgery, I couldn't stand long enough to chop an onion and could only walk a very short distance before the pain was just too great.

I am not sufficiently familiar with other health care systems to be able to offer suggestions to you...but I can tell you this is a deteriorating condition that does not get better on its own. The process can be slowed by taking good care of yourself...maintaining a normal weight, not smoking, keeping your back and core muscles strong, etc.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
    Samfire
    (female)

Samfire HB User

Many thanks for the information and taking the time to share with me your experiences. It is as I thought. Unfortunately I take a lot of serious mental health medication which has piled on the weight and this has further complicated my condition - I do not drink or smoke however, but I really cannot hardly walk at all now without bending over and leaning on something or drawing my knees up towards my chest. Spondiolysthesis is a tough one - you have my sympathies. I get nerve block injections into facet joints at c2-c3 for occipital neuralgia and at L5-S1 and L4-L5 but on public list so only once a year . x

IBS, Scheuermanns Kyphosis, Occipital Neuralgia, DDD, Anxiety Depression; Hypertension: Fibromyalgia

Meds: Omesar 20mg; Atecor 50mg; Epilim Chrono 800mg; Seroquel 325mg; Zolpidem 10mg

Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm good now. It took a total of three surgeries to finally resolve my sciatic pain...but It was worth it. I hope you will be able to find some solution for your stenosis.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
    Samfire (05-07-2016)
    The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    Samfire (05-07-2016)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    bulging disc, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, kyphosis, scoliosis