It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Living with Sciatic and Lyme Disease

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User
    Post Living with Sciatic and Lyme Disease

This is my first post here. I just joined. I have had Sciatica for a few months now, going to Physical Therapy for it, which is not helping much.

I have had Lyme Disease 4 times in my life, the first case in 1985. However, it went undiagnosed for 5 years, causing a severe heart infection and almost death. Since then I have been unable to work much, and life has been very hard. My current Dr. knows almost nothing about Lyme and is not really treating it. She just treats my arthritis as if it is regular osteo and that is not helping. So My hip hurts and then I have this Sciatica, adding insult to injury!

You cannot imagine how many things we do sitting down, until suddenly it is hard to sit! Eating, reading, computering, talking and visiting with friends, none of this is easy anymore. My life seems impossible.

I want the life I had managed to make for myself before the Sciatica back! However, since this Physical Therapy is not helping much, I have no clue if I will ever be able to go back to life the way it was before the Sciatica.

I am a devout Christian, so if any of you pray, please pray for me. For those of you who don't pray, warm thoughts, or lighting a candle for me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

The following user gives a hug of support to SheilaKathy:
    kevinl921 (05-23-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
    kevinl921
    (male)

kevinl921 HB User
    Re: Living with Sciatic and Lyme Disease

My last neurologist thought aquatic therapy was the fix for my nonstop back and feet pain. He was wrong. After only 1 day in the water for less than an hour I had to take the next day of work off cause I couldn't move without at least ice on my back.

I guess my PT is mowing the yard which saves me $200 no matter how much it hurts.

Guess I should wear one of those walking things that measures steps because it seems like a lot of walking for 90 minutes pushing a mower.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User
    Smile Re: Living with Sciatic and Lyme Disease

I guess that is one way to get some help and save some money. I was told today in Physical Therapy that my next appointment is an evaluation and the P/T's Assistant who had me do my P/T workout today said that it looks like I can do my exercises at home from now on and manage my Sciatica that way. She thinks that since my pain stays below 5 (on the 1-10 scale with 10 being the worst) that I can manage without surgery and without further P/T. I agree, and I hope the Physical Therapist will agree too, because I cannot afford any more of this P/T and surgery is out of the question, I won't submit myself to that.

The P/T made it worse and then maybe a bit better throughout the 8 appointments of it. The Assistant recommended that I take a pillow with me wherever I go and sit on it so I won't be in as bad pain. She said that folks carry around lots weirder stuff with them sometimes than a pillow, so what the heck! A pillow it will be.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
    kevinl921
    (male)

kevinl921 HB User

Keys not doing or going under the knife when everything else fails but not until you tried everything.
    Speaking from 2 failed back surgeries as the pain is far worse than before I did the first

Old 05-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User
    Smile Re: Living with Sciatic and Lyme Disease

[QUOTE=kevinl921;5419184]Keys not doing or going under the knife when everything else fails but not until you tried everything.
    Speaking from 2 failed back surgeries as the pain is far worse than before I did the first[/QUOTE]

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I have heard about that happening to others too. I have had experiences where I have gone to the Dr. for something and they qave me a medicine that caused me to end up in the Hospital for 8 days, so I know how Dr.s can make mistakes. I will be very careful, thanks for the warning!

Hugs to you!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User

Today went not so badly. I had an appointment with my Lawyer to sign some papers. When I came in with my pillow and explained that I have Sciatica and that I need it to sit on, my lawyer said she understood and that would be no problem. Later when I was waiting for the bus to come and get me, I had some pain, so I just got up and paced back and forth and explained to the secretary that walking helped to relieve the Sciatic Nerve pain. She said that would be no problem. I ended up pacing in her office for an hour until the bus arrived. She seemed OK with it. I was relieved that everyone was so kind and understanding. I hope tomorrow's outing goes as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to SheilaKathy:
    kevinl921 (05-24-2016)
    Old 05-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

In many cases it is not necessary to have surgery for sciatic pain. Sciatic pain can be caused by several different issues. If the spinal nerve is badly compressed surgery may become necessary. No one wants to have surgery, but sometimes it is necessary.

There is a product called "Back Joy" that is a portable seat that puts your spine in a correctly aligned position and takes pressure off the sciatic nerve. You might find it useful, too.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
    kevinl921
    (male)

kevinl921 HB User

I know of doctor or at least I have read reviews and he has asked for MRI who promotes finding the problem and fusion isn't something he does or recommends.
    He believes in doing the injections into the problem disc and letting the body do its own repair.
    Problem is his method is considered experimental and health insurance won't cover a dime plus he is in Texas.
    So I play the lottery dreaming of some day going back to a non-pain killer life.

Reply Reply

Tags
    lyme diagnosis, sciatica