It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back Surgery or Shots, etc., for Sciatica?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #1
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User
    Unhappy Back Surgery or Shots, etc., for Sciatica?

Have you, or anyone you know, had back surgery or shots or some other treatment(s) for Sciatica that were helpful? How long did the helpfulness last (if it did?) and is there anything else I should know about Sciatica treatments?

I saw a product in a little box at Walgreens yesterday for Sciatica, but it cost a lot of money and so I was hesitant. Has anyone tried their Sciatica formula, and if so, how did it work?

Have you come up with any solutions to this on your own that you would like to share? For instance, I use a pillow a lot to alleviate my suffering. It is just a regular old pillow and I sit on it or place it between my knees when I sleep on my side. It seems to help.

I'm also taking Gabapentin, Etodolac and Tylenol to relieve the pain. I think the Gabapentin is helping the most because it is for nerve pain, but it could be a combination of the 3 things that is doing it all together. I've also tried Doans and Aleve, but I think they upset my stomach, so I only take them now and then.

Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #2
    kevinl921
    (male)

kevinl921 HB User
    Re: Back Surgery or Shots, etc., for Sciatica?

[QUOTE=SheilaKathy;5419507]Have you, or anyone you know, had back surgery or shots or some other treatment(s) for Sciatica that were helpful? How long did the helpfulness last (if it did?) and is there anything else I should know about Sciatica treatments?

I saw a product in a little box at Walgreens yesterday for Sciatica, but it cost a lot of money and so I was hesitant. Has anyone tried their Sciatica formula, and if so, how did it work?

Have you come up with any solutions to this on your own that you would like to share? For instance, I use a pillow a lot to alleviate my suffering. It is just a regular old pillow and I sit on it or place it between my knees when I sleep on my side. It seems to help.

I'm also taking Gabapentin, Etodolac and Tylenol to relieve the pain. I think the Gabapentin is helping the most because it is for nerve pain, but it could be a combination of the 3 things that is doing it all together. I've also tried Doans and Aleve, but I think they upset my stomach, so I only take them now and then.

Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

I too used Neurontin and I have for over 7 years when a neurologist couldn't stop the reactions following a surgery. I have tried every Internet special trying anything to eliminate the pain. I currently use a topical cream marketed by a site called Northstar Nutritional called arthritis relief cream which I do when I can't do ice like every night before I sleep. It isn't that expensive for a 2 oz tube

Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User

Thanks for the info, I may go look for it if this other thing I ordered does not work. I think it is called Sciatica Aide if I recall. It is coming in the mail to me from some company that was recommended to me on another site by a friend there. If it helps, I'll let you know more about it.

The following user gives a hug of support to SheilaKathy:
    kevinl921 (05-27-2016)
    Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

It is nearly impossible to answer your question as "sciatica" is not one specific ailment. People tend to call pain that runs down the buttocks into the back of the leg "sciatica." This may be correct if the pain comes from an inflammation of the sciatic nerve, but these symptoms can also be the result of other nerve issues that may or may not even involve the sciatic nerve.

As you can see from browsing the internet, there are thousands of products on sale that supposedly will cure sciatic pain. In part, this is because sciatic type pain affects so much of the population at some point in their lives. For many people, the pain will eventually resolve on its own. Unfortunately for this who remain in pain, they are desperate to find a "cure," and are willing to try just about anything. Again, unfortunately, most of these medicines, products, videos, etc. are a waste of money, time and hope. I had quite a collection myself before I discovered the cause of my pain and learned that the only solution for me was surgery.

Most of it comes down to what is the cause of the person's sciatic or sciatic-type pain? I believe that in cases where the pain eventually resolves by itself, some of these products may help! The products that reduce inflammation may reduce the pain to some extent....hanging upside down on an inversion table may help some people....etc.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:38 AM   #5
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User
    Post Re: Back Surgery or Shots, etc., for Sciatica?

[QUOTE=teteri66;5419634]It is nearly impossible to answer your question as "sciatica" is not one specific ailment. People tend to call pain that runs down the buttocks into the back of the leg "sciatica." This may be correct if the pain comes from an inflammation of the sciatic nerve, but these symptoms can also be the result of other nerve issues that may or may not even involve the sciatic nerve.

As you can see from browsing the internet, there are thousands of products on sale that supposedly will cure sciatic pain. In part, this is because sciatic type pain affects so much of the population at some point in their lives. For many people, the pain will eventually resolve on its own. Unfortunately for this who remain in pain, they are desperate to find a "cure," and are willing to try just about anything. Again, unfortunately, most of these medicines, products, videos, etc. are a waste of money, time and hope. I had quite a collection myself before I discovered the cause of my pain and learned that the only solution for me was surgery.

Most of it comes down to what is the cause of the person's sciatic or sciatic-type pain? I believe that in cases where the pain eventually resolves by itself, some of these products may help! The products that reduce inflammation may reduce the pain to some extent....hanging upside down on an inversion table may help some people....etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your thoughts. One thing I have noticed about those who have mentioned having had Sciatica and the like and also having had it go away eventually is that they have all kinds of different advice. So it looks like there is no one cure it all, but very different things that have helped. Some folks said laying down and staying still helped, while others said that being active helped. Some are helped my prescriptions and some are not. Some recommend ice, some heat. Etc.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
    Laketime
    (female)

Laketime HB User

This condition is terrible, eh? I hope that combo of drugs brings you relief.

Have you tried PT?

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by mod85; 06-10-2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to Laketime For This Useful Post:
    kevinl921 (05-28-2016)
    Old 05-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User

I just completed 4 weeks of P/T, doing exercises twice daily, which at first made it worse and now has brought it back to a little more painful than when I first started the P/T. I suppose as I continue to the exercises at home, I may improve some, but I have my doubts as to whether it will improve much from this point. I am not hopeful, let us put it that way, though I will continue with what I have been instructed to do. I have nothing to lose in that light.

At this point I want to know what specifically is causing this. I want X-rays and possibly an MRI. I was told by my Dr. that the insurance would not even pay for those without my doing the P/T first. When considering that the P/T or just time in general has worsened the situation, I am resentful about this. I feel that X-rays and an MRI should have been done first. Who knows if I have even been diagnosed correctly and if I am doing the right exercises!

I tried DOANS and ALEVE but both of them have seemed to cause me stomach discomforts, so I quit them. I am taking an homeopathic remedy called Sciatic-Aide by Boericke & Tafel which may be helping a bit, but not by much. It is $7.99 per bottle of 100 tablets.

I have also noticed that the joints in my affected leg are all sensitive and somewhat painful. I don't know if this is normal for this condition or not, but it sure is annoying, to say the least! Also, riding in any kind of vehicle is sometimes painful, when going around curves or over bumps. I do also feel some discomfort in my lower back. I have found that leaning forward while sitting sometimes helps me to feel less pain, as does sitting on a soft pillow. I have been doing both of these things when possible.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
    kevinl921
    (male)

kevinl921 HB User

I felt the exact same pains following my first major surgery in 2009 even wearing a back brace too

Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
    Anj75
    (female)

Anj75 HB User

[QUOTE=SheilaKathy;5419785]I just completed 4 weeks of P/T, doing exercises twice daily, which at first made it worse and now has brought it back to a little more painful than when I first started the P/T. I suppose as I continue to the exercises at home, I may improve some, but I have my doubts as to whether it will improve much from this point. I am not hopeful, let us put it that way, though I will continue with what I have been instructed to do. I have nothing to lose in that light.

At this point I want to know what specifically is causing this. I want X-rays and possibly an MRI. I was told by my Dr. that the insurance would not even pay for those without my doing the P/T first. When considering that the P/T or just time in general has worsened the situation, I am resentful about this. I feel that X-rays and an MRI should have been done first. Who knows if I have even been diagnosed correctly and if I am doing the right exercises!

I tried DOANS and ALEVE but both of them have seemed to cause me stomach discomforts, so I quit them. I am taking an homeopathic remedy called Sciatic-Aide by Boericke & Tafel which may be helping a bit, but not by much. It is $7.99 per bottle of 100 tablets.

I have also noticed that the joints in my affected leg are all sensitive and somewhat painful. I don't know if this is normal for this condition or not, but it sure is annoying, to say the least! Also, riding in any kind of vehicle is sometimes painful, when going around curves or over bumps. I do also feel some discomfort in my lower back. I have found that leaning forward while sitting sometimes helps me to feel less pain, as does sitting on a soft pillow. I have been doing both of these things when possible.[/QUOTE]

I had on and off sciatica for years. One day it just stayed. I had EPIs. Did NOT help. I had surgery and haven't had an extreme attack since. I still get nerve pains tho. So far the only thing that helped my pain that is similar in what you are describing at SI Joint injections. I've had one session and am going in for another session in a week. It only lasted about a month and a half but it was a total difference.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
    SheilaKathy
    (female)

SheilaKathy HB User
    Unhappy Re: Back Surgery or Shots, etc., for Sciatica?

[QUOTE=Anj75;5421656]I had on and off sciatica for years. One day it just stayed. I had EPIs. Did NOT help. I had surgery and haven't had an extreme attack since. I still get nerve pains tho. So far the only thing that helped my pain that is similar in what you are describing at SI Joint injections. I've had one session and am going in for another session in a week. It only lasted about a month and a half but it was a total difference.[/QUOTE]

What does the injection consist of?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
    Anj75
    (female)

Anj75 HB User

[QUOTE=SheilaKathy;5421658]What does the injection consist of?[/QUOTE]

Some numbing medicine and steroids. The PM Doc told me today they don't like using to much steroid because of weight gain and side affects. Part off me wanted to say pump as much as you can in there. Lol. I've lost for pounds since my last visit. I know it was because I actually could be active. I work a labor job.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anj75 For This Useful Post:
    SheilaKathy (06-11-2016)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    back surgery, relief of back pain, sciatica, shots