It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Creaking Back!?!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
    mccoytrav
    (male)

mccoytrav HB User
    Question Creaking Back!?!

So, I have had an L5 S1 fusion about two years ago now. Over the last two weeks, while laying down in bed, I have been experiencing a wierd creaking noise at the site of my surgery. it sounds like a door out of a horror film.
    i can also feel it. the sensation is similar to teeth grinding, or kid of like what i would imagine rubber stuttering against rubber would feel like. very jittery and wierd. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery? If so, what have your doctors told you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
    mccoytrav
    (male)

mccoytrav HB User
    Re: Creaking Back!?!

Someone PLEASE HELP!!! I Dont have insurance and cannot get an MRI. I am in an INTENSE amount of pain!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. I was going to suggest that you might have a screw that has broken...but if you are fused, the joint should be solid and stable and I'm not sure what would account for the noise. You didn't mention that you were in pain in the first post. What are your symptoms?

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    mccoytrav (09-28-2016)
    Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
    mccoytrav
    (male)

mccoytrav HB User
    Arrow Re: Creaking Back!?!

Thanks for the welcome I went in for an X-ray and all of my hardware is good. So, I called my Neurologist and The secretary scheduled me an MRI. A few days later i received a call saying that my insurance was dropped, which I called and am in the process of having it re-instated right now.

First of all, I am a 27yr. old male at 5'8" and 200lbs. Previously 160lbs. until my surgery where i could no longer partake in physical activities, which I extremely enjoy. I was born with Spondylolisthesis. My Doc said that when in the womb, vertebrae are in three pieces and then heal together. Instead of healing my scarred. So not really sure what that means other than it is hereditary. my surgery included placement of wire mesh disk, 4 screws and two rods. i had a grade 4 displacement. i have had symptoms since i was 14 during wrestling.

I know that I have tons of inflammation all over my back. I have tried taking Naproxen, but it interacts with other mood stabilizers that I am on, as do several anti-inflammatory medications. My symptoms include; Pain in the upper and lower back, Pain and numbness in my left arm down to my pinky as well as my left leg down to my toes, Lots of pain in my groin and butt, and the CREAKING!!!

The creaking is present when i have been either sitting or laying down for more that ten minutes. When I get up or try to move (any motion involving twisting, pivoting or bending) a loud creak from my lower back to the middle of my back occurs. The pain is at the sight of the creaking. It is so loud, sometimes my wife can hear while she is laying in bed next to me. The pain is sharp.

Last edited by mccoytrav; 09-28-2016 at 06:28 AM. Reason: missing info

Old 09-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Did you mention to the neurologist that you have pain and numbness in your arm? This would indicate a cervical spine "issue" that is most likely pushing into the spinal cord. Nerve compression in the central cord can cause symptoms that are apparent at the location of impact or below that level. It does not go above the level of compression. So....you could have cord compression that would cause your left arm to go numb AND cause symptoms that radiate down into the left leg...but you will not have lumbar nerve compression that causes nerve pain in the arm.

I cannot guess what might be causing the creaking if hardware is in position and intact. It may just be some arthritis in the facet joints or a ligament that catches as it pulls across the hardware. Usually noises don't cause pain.

Reply Reply

Tags
    back hardware, back lower spine, fusion surgery, l5 s1