It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Heat Pad for Chronic Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-21-2016, 04:46 AM   #1
    claired3
    (female)

claired3 HB User
    Heat Pad for Chronic Back Pain

Does anyone know how I can relieve back pain? I'm 29 yrs and my back is constantly hurting. Anything other than a heating pad, b/c those don't seem to work too well.

How to use heat pad correctly for chronic back pain?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-21-2016 at 07:14 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to claired3:
    movielover40 (09-21-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Heat Pad for Chronic Back Pain

Welcome to the board. Back pain can be caused by many different reasons. Treatment would vary, depending on what is causing it. Basic treatments might include exercise to strengthen muscles of the back and core, developing good habits of posture, maintaining a normal weight, etc.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
    glynn
    Inactive
    (male)

glynn HB User

I agree that there are many different reasons, but statistically, about 95%, of back pain is mechanical. I agree with teteri66 with posture. IF you can only do one thing do that. Core strengthening has been proven to be useless. It provides no "stability" to the spine. Don't waste your time if you are doing it to stabilize your back. General exercise has proven to have the same outcomes.
    Excess weight is also not a major cause of back pain. Stay off the couch. Sit in a hard chair with a lumbar roll/roll of paper towels in low back., stand, lie on stomach, stop slouching!! haha. Good luck. .

Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I use ice for my back and find that it works far better than heat, just not as comfortable.
    I found a pad that is a gel that is a combination of water and alcohol, if I remember correctly. I leave it in my freezer all the time, and it is very flexible and comfortable.
    I got a pad large enough to cover my entire back. It doesn't drip, either, like if you just have a bag of ice.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
    glynn
    Inactive
    (male)

glynn HB User
    Wink Re: Heat Pad for Chronic Back Pain

You can really use which ever you choose. It is your preference. The reason for why it does not matter is the it has been proven that neither penetrate very deep. About 1cm is the average. That is too shallow to have any affect on the internal structures.
    The reason it feels better is due to the gate theory. Simply put all pain goes to the same door. Deep, nauseating pain is slower and the skins sensors move much faster so they beat the slow guys to the door so LESS of them get through.
    It is the same reason stim temporarily makes you feel better, as does hot, cold, rubbing the area, or pressure on the area.
    So do what you like the most, and now you know why it helps temporarily .

Reply Reply

Tags
    back ache, back pain, chronic back pain