It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Foraminal narrowing

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
    Foraminal narrowing

This is stenosis correct? It's not my SI joint it's L2-SI foraminal narrowing . I have all those level fused as well ...had 6 spinal surgeries. Pt and pain meds don't help much so would a laminectomy help?? So depressed please help! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
    glynn
    Inactive
    (male)

glynn HB User
    Re: Foraminal narrowing

Hi
    I am trying to understand your history a little. I assume you recently had an x-ray or MRI that says you have foraminal stenosis at L5-S1 correct?
    You also have lumbar fusions at what levels?
    What are your symptoms?
    Looking to help if I can

Old 09-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Thanks! I had 6 spinal surgeries and fused L2-S1. Dr called regarding the MRI and the foraminal narrowing is on the left side and not a reason for pain on the right side. Going to try Medrol dose pack. He said it's possible a screw could be loose but last X-ray a month ago all looked good. I will go Tuesday for appt where they will do the X-ray again.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
    glynn
    Inactive
    (male)

glynn HB User

Hi
    Xrays dont always correlate to symptoms and should NEVER be used as the sole measure for a diagnosis. Perfect example in your case right. Left foraminal narrowing per mri but symptoms on the right. I NEVER trust imaging.
    Unfortunately you your entire lumbar structure has been altered and IF there is any nerve root impingement in those levels, the only thing that can get to them is surgery as the vertebrae no longer move.
    Are symptoms in upper lumbar or lower lumbar? Anything done the leg/hip?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi and thank you. Symptoms are in low low lumbar into right hip and leg even down to the foot it's worse on hip and thigh (front and back) and foot and so bad at times I can't walk but my surgeon says nothing on MRI shows reason and that the stenosis is on my left side?

Last edited by mod85; 09-24-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
    glynn
    Inactive
    (male)

glynn HB User

Hi,
    No need to thank me. I am happy to see if I can provide any insight. I apologize for all the questions but until someone truly understands what is going on it is hard to provide constructive information.
    Ok. Just want to make sure I understand hip, back and thigh symptoms are constant?
    Lower leg to foot symptoms come and go? Is that right?

I know it is SOOOOOO hard to try and not worry about what the MRIs and x-rays say, but you can see as in your case what they see does not match your symptom presentation. My fear is that your initial treatment was based upon an image, and not you and your symptoms.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes hip, back (lower right and a little on left) , thigh ( front, back and right side of thigh), foot and yes lately constant. What do u mean initial treatment? Thx

2/2011 & 3/2011-L4-L5 Laminectomy & Disectomy 3/2011- Facet Joint FX (TLSO Brace)
    7/11/12-L4-L5 Spinal Fusion; 7/25/12 Revision
    5/29/13 - L3-S1 Spinal Fusion Revision

Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
    purplegirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ok met with Dr today and it's my SI joint inflamed so will continue with Pt and steroid (2 days left) and injection if needed but man this is painful

Reply Reply