It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Staph infection after laminectomy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Dougcohen
(male)

Dougcohen HB User
Staph infection after laminectomy

My situation is 1 out of 100 so my surgeon says. Nine weeks ago I had a laminectomy to remove a portion of a broken disc that was pressing against a nerve. I felt that surgery was successful except I developed a seroma on the surface of the incision. After visiting the surgeon he informed me that because I was thin this is common practice and should go away within 6 to 7 weeks. My recovery was going well and I was anxious to start therapy at the seven week period. On my second day of therapy my therapist put me in an awkward position that I thought aggravated my spondylolisthesis. For two weeks my condition worsened to the point where I could barely walk and my surgeon advised me to take a new blood test. The blood test showed an alarming high rate of 70 on the CRP test which verified an infection. I was informed to enter the hospital immediately so they can surgically remove the infection in my disk and begin IV anabiotic's immediately. The incision that they made to clean out the infection was identical to the incision that they made to repair the disc. Once they discovered the type of staph infection, they altered my IV drugs and I was in the hospital for a week battling severe dehabilitating back spasms that would bring me to tears. Now I'm on a six-week IV drip to hopefully kill off the infection and back to living pain free. As of this point I've been home from the hospital for a week and can barely walk from my bedroom to the kitchen without major discomfort and pain. The doctor say this process could be a 3 to 5 week. And I'm being as patient as possible. I hope this post gives anybody else that is having this experience some comfort that it is not the end of the world to go through as long as you are able to get plenty of rest!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Staph infection after laminectomy

Welcome to the board. Infection is always a major concern with spine surgery. Sorry you are going through this.

I am confused about the spondylolisthesis. I gather you had a laminectomy but the spondy was not addressed. Do you know why this is the case?

Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #3
Dougcohen
(male)

Dougcohen HB User

Thanks for the note. I was lucky (in this one case) that the disc damage was one vertebrae above the spondy, so at this time it did not need to be fused. Last night was a problematic night as I woke up drenched in my own sweat that has been a reoccurring issue as well. One large piece of good news is that I learned yesterday that my crp and Sed rate all look better Crp 15 / Sed rate 19. My CRP level was at 70 when the infection was discovered.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

About all you can do is closely monitor yourself and stay on top of things. I have managed to avoid infection with my surgeries but know it can be miserable to knock out.

Good luck to you. Don't be shy about calling your surgeon if you suspect things aren't going well.

Reply Reply

Tags
laminectomy, staph infection after back surgery