It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Scared in Texas

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
    Kajunflirt
    (female)

Kajunflirt HB User
    Question Scared in Texas

So I have had back pain for 12+ years now and all they have ever said up until now is that I had some bulging discs and arthritis. Possibly some mild scoliosis. Well I had an MRI a little over a month ago and it showed something new that has my PM dr stumped. It shows that my spinal cord is rotated starting at the junction of cervical and thoracic and at T5-T9 it is completely sideways 90 degrees turned from normal and then it turns back clockwise to a nearly normal position.
    I found MRIs from 10 years ago and they do not show this. So I have an appointment with a neuro surgeon tomorrow and am wondering what I can or should expect in the near future. Is this definitely a surgical problem or not?
    It does not show any tethering and no significant amount of scoliosis to explain it. I'm kinda freaked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Scared in Texas

Hmmm. You have me stumped! Please come back and tell us what you learn from the neurosurgeon.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    Kajunflirt (12-23-2016)
    Old 12-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
    kath9033
    (female)

kath9033 HB User

I don't really know what would cause such a case other than scoliosis! Consider me stumped as well! Definitely let us know how you make out!

The Following User Says Thank You to kath9033 For This Useful Post:
    Kajunflirt (12-23-2016)
    Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
    Kajunflirt
    (female)

Kajunflirt HB User

So I went in to see the Neuro yesterday and he basically told me that he see really major problems and this is no big deal. He acted like it was nothing at all... Kinda made me feel like he felt like he didn't have time for me because he has people who have been paralyzed to deal with... Since he said this isn't something I have to worry about, maybe he feels like I don't deserve his attention. He said that its either something I was born with or that theres a cyst in there. So he ordered a myelogram and that's set up on the 4th of Jan and I'll find out what he says after that. If I was born with it then he wont do anything and if its a cyst then he will want to do surgery to drain it.
    I mean I'm glad its not something that's going to paralyze me but its still something that is affecting every day of my life because of pain. I don't know how to impart to him what I feel without coming off as being a drug seeker or someone wanting attention. I don't want him to give me anymore meds, I want it to get better. PT isn't helping and I can't do a lot of the things I enjoy because I'm hurting so bad. I hate when doctors act like your not really in pain if your not in tears and stuck in bed. Some of us just don't have the luxury of staying in bed even when we feel like we can't move.
    I hate when it feels like someone thinks your exaggerating because you say that your in pain. I'm really not one to complain but when I can't do what I enjoy because of pain then I would like some help and understanding. Thanks for listening and letting me know I'm not alone. It means so much!!!I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Old 12-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
    kath9033
    (female)

kath9033 HB User

I hope that the Mylograph will give you the answers you need!! I've had one done and, to me, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just very uncomfortable for a very short time.

I definitely hear you on all of the med seeker stigmas that people who have legitimate chronic, debilitating pain often end up with. It infuriates me and I feel like I'm overdoing it when I tell them "I really don't want to take this crud at all, but I honestly don't see how I could function without it. But I don't want you all to think I'm here saying 'give me pain meds' without a legitimate reason!" Thankfully the pain clinic I go to honest-to-goodness believes me and tells me every time "honey, relax. We know." Makes me feel better about it, but only a little. I actually just found out someone who is close to me is stealing my pain meds from me and it's beyond heartbreaking, infuriating, and down right disrespectful. I feel completely betrayed and am now going to have to keep my meds at a different location entirely, then stock up on them once a week. Keep us posted!

Old 12-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
    Kajunflirt
    (female)

Kajunflirt HB User

I am so sorry to hear that you have to deal with that. It's completely heartbreaking!
    So I wrote the neuro a long email yesterday and told him why I had such a hard time trusting drs and was able to tell him how much it's affecting my life even though I refuse to stop.
    He stopped his day and called me at work just to say thank you and tell me he understands and will help me. I cried because I felt so much relief! In his office I thought he looked down on me because of all the pain meds I'm on right now but he reassured me that it's all gonna be ok. That we are a Team and will get through this together. I am so thankful! Hopefully this will lead to an answer and a Solution. Thank you all for your support and encouragement! I'll keep you posted!

Old 12-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Good for you! I think sometimes doctors forget they are dealing with real people with individual stories and they lose their humanity to some extent. I'm so glad your message got through and that he is willing to work with you to resolve your issues.

Now hopefully you can find some pleasure in the holidays!

Reply Reply

Tags
    spinal cord problem, spine pain, surgery