It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Spinal Cord Stimulator questions....

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
    Kajunflirt
    (female)

Kajunflirt HB User
    Unhappy Spinal Cord Stimulator questions....

I wrote in a few months ago about a medical situation I am going through and got no help at all. I am hoping that someone can offer some insight on this topic though. I had a spinal cord stimulator trial about 3 weeks ago. Due to the location of my pain Upper right back around the shoulderblade and the fact that I am a nearly 6" woman made it difficult to place the leads. Also due to the twist or rotation of my spinal cord made getting any stimulation on the left side of my back almost impossible. So day 1 sucked. I was wide awake feeling everything during the lead placement. The meds did not work much at all and I could feel the needles pushing through my spinal cord tissues. It was aweful and I was a snotty mess!!!
    Day 2 I don't recall moving wrong but somehow the lead on the right side moved and landed on a nerve root. It caused excruciating pain in my back, shoulder and chest. So I went in for a programming adjustment and they saw it had moved a little when they pulled it up on the computer. He adjusted the stimulation and it helped a little but I still had to get it removed 2 days early because I just couldn't bear it any longer.
    I was able to tell that the points they were trying to stimulate did feel better in spite of the new pain from the lead in the wrong place.
    We have decided to proceed and go on to get the Boston Scientific Paddle Stimulator implanted. I know that my neuro said I will feel like a truck hit me for about 2 weeks but it should get better after that and no restrictions beyond what I feel like I can handle after that.
    I am wanting to miss as little work as possible because I love my job and things just don't function well without me here. We're a small business and its getting to the busy time of year and we're like a family here. So I want to get back ASAP.
    In addition, I am getting married on May 7th and would like to be recovered enough to enjoy our wedding. Am I being unrealistic? How long and how painful is the recovery for the Paddle implant? I know they will be doing a laminectomy and it is at the toop portion of my thoracic spine that they need to reach. So they both said its going to be rough for a while but they are hopeful that this will help relieve some of my pain.
    Any insight would be really helpful. Any stories, good or bad. Experiences with Austin drs and anything else you can think of that might help in recovery. I don't want to burden my wife as much as I can help it. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Spinal Cord Stimulator questions....

Sorry no one has responded to you. I guess no one currently on the board has personal experience with a SCS. You might try reading through posts on the pain management board. I know some of those people have neurostimulators.

Hopefully the doctors learned what they needed to know from the trial and will be able to make the correct placement this time. Usually when there aren't problems, people recover pretty quickly and feel better due to lessened pain. Just be sure the surgeon has lots of experience with this procedure.

I am wondering if you explored all other options for "fixing" whatever issue it is that is causing your pain before agreeing to the trial. It would be preferable to address what is the pain generator rather than attempting to "manage" the pain over a lifetime.

Reply Reply

Tags
    complecations, laminectomy, spine surgery, surgery recovery