It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

spinal cord stimulator

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Rich78
(male)

Rich78 HB User
spinal cord stimulator

I had a trail and it worked good it doesn't stop the pain a 100% put it helps I rather have it then take pain medication . Advil and tylenol helps a little a narcotic be much better put I work in a lab at a hospital and not sure how I will be on narcotics putting lab results out plus who wants to take them the rest of your life and if you stop you go in withdraw and it is horrible. So I have decided to have SCS going to dr appointment this morning to talk about having the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: spinal cord stimulator

Good luck. I hope it works for you. You have had quite a time trying to get your issues resolved.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
wt2
(male)

wt2 HB User

Hi Rich,

My pain management doctors want me to consider this same thing. I am wondering more about your history though? Do you have lots of issues in the lumbar region?

From what I read so far about spine cord stimulation, I'm worried about them being able to place the electrodes down into my spine without many problems. The last time I had an injection, it took the doctor a very long time to place the needle on each side because of as he said "the anatomy down there". I have a vertebrae that is out of alignment (Spondylolisthesis) as well as arthritis and bone spurs throughout my lower back. Another issue I have read about is that I am a thin person and that, that can be problematic in finding a place to put the controls, which doesn't cause the patient discomfort and other problems. Maybe I just don't understand the procedure enough yet, but I wonder what your thoughts on these things. Maybe your situation is totally different? I'm surprised that you are doing this and aren't on pain medications. Especially since as my spine surgeon doctor told me, that SCS is really a last resort.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Rich78
(male)

Rich78 HB User

Well I had 2 level lumbar fusion in 1999 7hr surgery. on 10-27-15 i had l3l4 fusion with 2 screws and one rod and it failed so on 7-6-16 i had a revision fusion for l3l4 with 4 screws 2 rods with bmp well it looks like the fusion work but the pain never got better so for little over a year i been living on advil and tylenol i have to work and pain medication will affect me as i work in a lab at a hospital plus i have a high pain tolerance for me to take pain medication pain wound have to be so bad that i was not able to do much . It sounds like you might have to do some reading on scs . my doctor has nothing to offer put pain medication and i am not going to do that so for me spinal cord stimulator is my last choice. which i had done on 9/6 and the pain level is very intense so i am taking pain medication now

The following user gives a hug of support to Rich78:
Railroad Man (10-28-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
wt2
(male)

wt2 HB User

Hi Rich78,

I didn't see your response until today. Sorry to hear that the SCS implant has been so painful! Hopefully by now it is going better! Did it turn out quite different than you thought from the trial period? Is the pain from the SCS leads or the generator/controller? I have been researching SCS but still have lots of questions.
The info you provided helps me understand your history a little better. Sorry to hear that the fusions didn’t help your pain. A long time ago I had a major surgery which caused me many problems for the past several decades. I find that doctors just won't tell you about the negative side effects, nor significant problems that can go wrong with surgery. So I am very wary of any major surgery. It seems that fusion surgeries quite often don't last and are problematic.
That is unfortunate that you are now on pain medications after so long avoiding them. I have been on pain medications for more than a decade and for me that is a known that I wish I could just stay with. But the current environment is such that all of us are considered terrible people and all addicts. My pain management doctors change frequently and it is like I always then have to prove to the new ones that I really have problems—for whatever reasons they can’t even spend some time reading my medical history to see what they are. All I hear lately from them is “the CDC says. . .”, and how they are going to cut back my medications—which I have been stable on the same levels of for at least seven years.
So that is why I am having to look more at SCS. I heard about a newer type called Nevro. Did you look at that one?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

If you don't mind me inquiring, I have a number of questions for you concerning your pain. First, what are your ongoing issues/symptoms? When was the last time you saw a spine surgeon? (I am wondering if there might be a new procedure that could ameliorate your symptoms and thus, reduce or eliminate the need for medications.).

Old 10-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did you end up having the SCS implanted? If so, how are you doing by now?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
kathydc2005am
(female)

kathydc2005am HB User

[QUOTE=wt2;5469447]Hi Rich78,

I didn't see your response until today. Sorry to hear that the SCS implant has been so painful! Hopefully by now it is going better! Did it turn out quite different than you thought from the trial period? Is the pain from the SCS leads or the generator/controller? I have been researching SCS but still have lots of questions.
The info you provided helps me understand your history a little better. Sorry to hear that the fusions didn’t help your pain. A long time ago I had a major surgery which caused me many problems for the past several decades. I find that doctors just won't tell you about the negative side effects, nor significant problems that can go wrong with surgery. So I am very wary of any major surgery. It seems that fusion surgeries quite often don't last and are problematic.
That is unfortunate that you are now on pain medications after so long avoiding them. I have been on pain medications for more than a decade and for me that is a known that I wish I could just stay with. But the current environment is such that all of us are considered terrible people and all addicts. My pain management doctors change frequently and it is like I always then have to prove to the new ones that I really have problems—for whatever reasons they can’t even spend some time reading my medical history to see what they are. All I hear lately from them is “the CDC says. . .”, and how they are going to cut back my medications—which I have been stable on the same levels of for at least seven years.
So that is why I am having to look more at SCS. I heard about a newer type called Nevro. Did you look at that one?[/QUOTE]
I am in the exact boat as you. But i spoke with my pcp and the surgeons who have operated on me the past 10 yrs for c-spine and joint replacements. They told me no way due to the fact I've gotten a staph infection with every one despite their efforts. Any other ideas?

Reply Reply