It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Muscular Upper Back Pain

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Muscular Upper Back Pain

When you saw your chiro....did he do an adjustment in your mid back?

I can relate to your discomfort and numbness....can you try topical voltaren (rx dosage)?

Does it hurt to breathe in deeply and out?

Good no issues visually on CT or MRI.

When you lay on left or right....do you have a pillow between your legs and hig a pillow to take the strain off your shoulders and upper/mid back?
q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

My myotherapist did some slight adjustment yesterday but advised it may not help. It didn't but yesterday was better than the day before. Today is worse than yesterday already.

It doesn't hurt when I breathe & no discomfort.

The doctor gave a nerve test which showed no issues. He seems to think inflammatory as well though as no indications of anything more serious (cognitive & vision seem normal). I've been perscribed Celebrex (daily anti-inflammatory) & 1000mg Vitamin C daily for the next 30 days to see how it goes.

I always sleep with a pillow between my legs if on my side. I can't sleep though if I'm hugging a pillow.

I am to hold off any exercise & physio for at least a week. Light stretching of my upper & lower back is allowed but kept to a minimum.

Feeling a little useless at the moment though.

D

Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #18
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Useless how?

q

Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

[QUOTE=quincy;5470009]Useless how?

q[/QUOTE]
It has all stemmed from my original back issue in August as it hasn't completely healed. I know I have to give the doctors advice more than 24 hours to start working but feel like I'm productive or useful to anyone at present.

At the moment, unless I'm lying down, I'm constantly worrying about it being something way more serious than it probably is. I'm not able to concentrate properly at home or work & when I miss anything cognitive I start thinking early MS symptoms although my family has no history of it. I have been a severe hypochondriac previously but thought I was over it. Therefore Google has been a go to solution which is never a good idea for anything unless you have a 100% diagnosis.

My partner is currently undergoing treatment for cancer as well so my anxiety levels are not the best.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #20
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

Well saw my physiotherapist today. The entire left side of my back is stiff so may have a trapped nerve, a swollen trigger cluster or both.

I have to see my doctor again to get some muscle relaxants to go with the anti-inflammatory medication. That's organised for Saturday.

It's still on & off but not as bad. A heat pack helps my arm & shoulder. Finding it difficult to sleep but appear to be over my hypocondriac stage.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #21
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sad to hear about your partner's cancer and having to go through treatment. Pretty high on the stress scale. I hope treatments are successful.

Good you went for another assessment. Also good are the new suggestions and the fact tou will be seeing your doc on Saturday.

I still urge you to try hugging a pillow....small one....to keep the balance and pressure off that area. As well, when you are sitting, have your arm resting on a pillow to take pressure from that area.

Heat feels good....hope it continues to help.

You could ask your doc about low low dosage of Elavil...for night sleeping. Maybe a short course of celebrex could help in conjunction to deal with the inflammation.

The hypochondria is hard to avoid sometimes. I can relate to some situations worst case scenario when things are over and above what I usually deal with.

Please let me know how Sat appt goes with the doc.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #22
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

Well I've been perscribed Tapentadol which I have to take at night. It won't interfere with Celebrex. GP advised to try these for a couple of weeks to see how I go. If nothing has improved I have a feeling he will start from scratch & get new scans done but for whole body.

My left leg sensations may be sciatica related though due to stiffness in lower back. My left arm sensations seem to be coming from my scapula. It's extremely sore on my upper back where my scapula starts. But it's twinging up my neck to give painful headaches.

Physio has advised of a few stretches I can do & have to use a foam roller on my upper back for a minute in the morning & evening.

The heat pack & lying down helps still so planning on a couple of days for bedrest if I can.

Thanks

D

Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I wrote this before but apparently didn't get it posted. I recommend the following simple exercise.

Lie flat on your back on a firm surface, feet flat on the floor with knees bent. Place arms close to your sides, palms facing up. Be sure your body is in a straight line and pelvis is in a neutral position. Now, relax and breathe deeply from the belly so you can see it rising and falling. Continue for 2 minutes...up to 5 minutes.

This position is a natural form of traction that helps realign the spine and soft tissue. It allows the discs to unload and any muscles that are "guarding" an injured area to relax. The belly breathing in this position also helps to reset the parasympathetic nervous system...which tends to get pretty wound up when we are in pain.

I do this morning and night and whenever I do anything physical that I know will cause me back pain. I have been known to find a quiet corner in an airport and lie on the floor to do this...just so I could continue on!

It may take a bit...a week or two, to feel any results, depending on how tense and tight your muscles, fascia and soft tissue are.

Personally I doubt you will feel results from Celebrex. You'd probably accomplish about the same by taking several Advil or Aleve!

Old 10-07-2017, 02:43 AM   #24
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

I already have that relaxation in my schedule. Lying on my back is one of the positions I get relief.

Hoping this is not the start of a chronic pain condition I'll never get rid of. It's only been a week with the new symptoms but is impacting work & financially it's getting expensive for tests, medication & therapists.

Last edited by Kermie100; 10-07-2017 at 03:18 AM.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #25
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Injury takes a long time to heal, unfortunately.
I've never heard of the Tapentadol, hope it gives you some relief. How are you feeling the next day after using it?

I think there's a fine line between too much manipulating and overworking a muscle and healing time.
Is acupuncture completely off the list? Have you had ultrasound on that area?

q

Old 10-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #26
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

The brand of Tapentadol I'm taking is called Palexia SR. It's a small 50mg dose that I take before bed. It makes me a little drowsy during the day but can't say I've noticed a reduction in pain from it or the Celebrex.

Headed back to the doctors today as my physio has recommended getting updated scans. As my MRI was clear the doctor thinks an ultrasound won't help. I'm getting an updated CT scan though for back & neck. Blood work is also being completed. Will get results by Friday or Saturday.

My clinic has referred me to an acupuncturist who is also a GP to see if it will be beneficial for me. My initial consultation is Thursday.

My partner finishes her treatment in 3 weeks & is hoping to go see family. I'm hoping for some improvement by then otherwise I don't think I'll be able to tolerate a long plane trip.

Will update on the weekend once results are in.

D

Last edited by Kermie100; 10-08-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #27
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi....the Palexia sounds heavy-duty. It's interesting, and frustrating for you that there is no relief from it.

The ultrasound suggestion is a treatment option to help heal the tear and muscle and hopefully ease spasm. Acupuncture is hopefully a help to you.

Talk to your doctor about elavil at night regarding muscle spasm....cant be used with the Palexia.

How did your appointment go yesterday?

q

Old 10-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #28
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

The updates CT scans showed nothing new which I guess is a good thing.

My arm issue is coming from my neck though. It's a dull sensation in the left forearm with some tingling through the fingers. I have a physio appointment today so hopefully that will help.

The Palexia SR is a low dose & lasts for up to 12 hours. It may help as it acts while I sleep. The doctor wants me to finish the course 1st before changing anything.

Also looking into whether a TENS or an EMS machine may help.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #29
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Do you have a degenerating cervical disc or what did the scan show?

Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #30
Kermie100
(male)

Kermie100 HB User

The CT scan was clear which wasn't really a surprise.

I did see a chiropractor yesterday & today. They did a full spine x-ray which shows it is out of alignment due to posture. As my posture has been bad for years though it's unlikely the cause but could be hampering recovery. I had an adjustment this morning & my neck cracked so much during the manipulation. Not sure how I should be feeling but it's a little painful on one side of my neck now. I've been advised to give it a few sessions. It hasn't improved the numbness or pins & needles though.

I'm seeing the GP/acupuncturist today so will ask if chiropractic manipulation will help or hinder. Has anyone else had successful with a chiropractor?

I also get my blood results tomorrow from my normal GP so will ask about chiropractic manipulation to get an informed opinion from several professionals.

Just hoping something will improve this within the next few weeks as my partners treatment has nearly finished & I want to be there for her.

Reply Reply