It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Neurosurgeon review yesterday

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User
Neurosurgeon review yesterday

I had a review by neurosurgeon yesterday he reviewed my MRI didn't seem concerned about the moderate neuroforaminal compromise worse on left side which is impinging on my bilateral exiting L5 nerve roots. I'm aware the L5S1 disc is mildly bulging but he seemed more concerned about my unsteadiness and im now even more worried. I'm having a full spinal MRI again including cervix and thorax on the 20th Sept.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Neurosurgeon review yesterday

That's interesting because it seems to me that having both L5 nerve roots compressed by stenosis would be enough to cause your symptoms and the heaviness in your legs, and difficulty with balance. I know it was enough to cause me permanent nerve damage.

Are you able to get a copy of your MRI? Were you able to take a look at the images? I am wondering if you have a spondylolisthesis at that level. Sometimes the appearance is subtle and you can't see it without having a flexion/extension X-ray. Several different doctors looked at my MRI before one spotted my spondy at L4-5. Sometimes it is obvious --where the edges of the vertebrae normally line up, sometimes you will see a slight indentation.... I never could see mine on a MRI because it was a Grade I slippage which is between 1 and 25%, but it was enough to cause instability and nerve compression.

I would encourage you to press the neurosurgeon on the foraminal stenosis at L5 and ask specifically if you have a spondylolisthesis.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Janetb1968 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

Thank u for replying and i felt very dismissed by the surgeon he wasn't the neurosurgeon I was supposed to see, it was very hectic and i felt I wasn't listened to! I'm having the full spinal MRI with neck and thorax on the 20th Sept and I'll see what that shows again.
Thank u for listening x

Last edited by Administrator; 09-08-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

Sorry I didn't realise I'd wrote that I can only apologise x

Janet B

Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I will be interested to hear what you learn after the new MRIs.
You might want to also consult with a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgeon.

Last edited by teteri66; 09-08-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Janetb1968 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

Me too thank you for replying hope you are ok x

Old 09-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

The problem I have is it's the National health service which I think is amazing but I would have to pay to see a spinal surgeon and you can't just pick when you want to. I'll know more hopefully after the MRI on the 20th September.

Thank you Janet B

Old 09-10-2017, 02:35 AM   #8
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

I'm also worrying myself into an early grave....i keep thinking of MS I know it's not fatal but I am incredibly worried about it. Sorry to offload x

Janet B UK take care x

Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is one thing the board is here for...venting. It is nice to be able to talk to others who understand, at least in part, what you are going through. One problem we all have is that people with back problems that cause nerve pain never really look ill. So the people you interact with just don't appreciate how much pain you are in. And with a back issue, it tends to hurt, regardless of position.

Obviously I couldn't say whether you might have MS, but I can try to assure you that a L5-S1 nerve compression can cause balance issues. Even though I have had two fusions, I have some nerve damage that affects my balance. It isn't anything like balance issues that come from the inner ear like vertigo....it is more of an issue with movement and proprioception...a term I was not familiar with until I had these issues and my spine surgeon explained it all to me! You can look it up if you aren't sure what it means either. But I imagine that is what's going on with you, too.

It is scary in the beginning. My issues began as long ago as 2000 when I started to develop a funny cramping in the middle toes of my right foot. Then I had some tingling in my toes. I was visiting my mom at the time and went with her to her podiatrist who diagnosed it as peripheral neuropathy. Then in 2004-2005 I began to have some sciatic-type pain that ran from my buttocks down the back of my leg. It wasn't till after I had surgery on L4-5 when my symptoms had not resolved that I had an EMG and nerve conduction study. It proved that I had never had peripheral neuropathy. Those toe issues were my first symptoms of lumbar spine issues.

Proprioceptors are sensory nerve endings that give information concerning movement and position of the body. Proprioception is what allows us to things without having to actually watch...like eating....for example, guiding a fork into the mouth, you don't have to watch your position of your hand as it moves toward your mouth, and not end up in your ear. Or being able to walk. You don't think about actually placing your foot on the ground. You are able to move without tipping over.

They are special little nerve endings that are found in muscles, tendons, joints and the inner ear. These all feed into the nerves of the cauda equina in the lumbar area, and into the spinal cord which runs up to the brain where the messages are processed. When there is a major nerve compression along this route, the signal can get interrupted or garbled and the system doesn't work as it should. This is why, when I stand up from the table after enjoying a nice meal, I sometimes walk as though I had a three martini lunch! Also, I've noticed when walking with someone, I don't walk in a perfectly straight line. I tend to veer off slightly to the left! This is all due to faulty proprioceptors!

I suspect you may be experiencing something similar. So try not to worry until you know all the facts.

Janetb1968 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

Thank you your very kind in replying I've just been going back and forth in my symptoms and how the neurosurgeon was on the day I saw him. I'll Google what you've just told me and I'll let you know how the MRI is.

Thank you and take care Janet B

Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #11
Janetb1968
(female)

Janetb1968 HB User

Hello teteri66 I just thought I'd tell you my symptoms if that's ok? I have no back pain, both thighs ache and feel very heavy, can't stand for a long time or walk for a long time like I used to do, pins and needles soles of my feet and pain around my left big toe and unsteady. I also had my first MRI in February 2016 as the heavy aching legs had started but no unsteadiness and it showed a synovial cyst which it didn't show up on the MRI in June. Do synovial cysts disappear?

Thank you for listening x

Last edited by Janetb1968; 09-11-2017 at 03:55 AM.

Reply Reply