It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Herniated disk l5 s1 and broken tailbone

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
AngiD
(female)

AngiD HB User
Herniated disk l5 s1 and broken tailbone

Hi, I'm brand new here, the other day at the local er, I was diagnosed w a herniated disk between l5 and s1. I've had the same symptoms of this for about 5 months or so. I also broke my tailbone 4 years ago, my question is, can the broken tailbone make the pain I'm experiencing in my right butt cheek and down my leg to my ankle worse? And since I've had this pain for so long, what options should I consider? I've had back pain in the past, and to be honest, physical therapy always made things incredibly worse. Any input is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Herniated disk l5 s1 and broken tailbone

Welcome to the board. Without knowing more detail, I couldn't say whether the once fractured coccyx has any effect on the disc herniation, but my guess is probably not. A fracture of the coccyx usually takes 8-12 weeks to heal. Since it happened four years ago, I would assume it has healed and is not a factor.

Regarding the disc herniation, it may heal on its own or, depending on how long you have had it, you may need a surgical procedure. I would suggest you have it evaluated by either a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. One of these two specialties is the best option for a correct diagnosis and plan for treatment. Surgery is considered as a last option. Conservative treatments will be tried first...things like physical therapy, a series of epidural steroid injections for pain and inflammation, oral medication for the same purpose, electric stimulation, massage, etc.

What symptoms do you have? How long have you had them?

Reply Reply