It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

L5-S1 fusion after previous L3-L5

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
WendyTokyo
(female)

WendyTokyo HB User
L5-S1 fusion after previous L3-L5

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a 2nd fusion on an adjacent level(s)? I'm pretty sure some of you have :-)
I'm 52 and have had a type of inflammatory arthritis (Reactive Arthritis) for 25 years now. I also have secondary osteoarthritis.
Three years ago I had a very successful double lumbar fusion at L3-L5. However now I have a lot of pain in my lower back again, and the solution (having tried everything else) is a fusion below the first one, i.e. S1.
As I have a chronic and destructive form of arthritis, I know I will need more surgeries as I age. I have previously had 2 hip replacements, great toe fusion and several surgeries on other toes. Probably my cervical spine will be the next problem area. I joke that the surgeons should just fuse my entire spine now, rather than having multiple surgeries :-)
Have you had good results from adjacent fusions? My life is severely limited by pain at present.
Thanks for any comments,
Wendy

Last edited by WendyTokyo; 09-15-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: L5-S1 fusion after previous L3-L5

Indeed! As a matter of fact, I am going in an Friday due to severe stenosis at L2-3, but this time I am not having fusion. My surgeon said if it had occurred five years ago, he would have needed to remove my current hardware at L3-S1 in order to address this issue. But now with the changes in technology, I am having a less invasive procedure and will only be in one night...and will not have additional hardware.

Previously I had a PLIF at L4-5 which was medically successful but my symptoms were never relieved. So several years later, they added on L3-4 and L5-S1 although the screws at L4-5 had to be removed because they were not compatible with the newer hardware...so I was fused from L3-S1.

If you were pleased with the results of the first fusion, I see no reason why you shouldn't be pleased with this surgery. I assume you are using the same surgeon?

Old 09-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
WendyTokyo
(female)

WendyTokyo HB User

Thanks for your reply Teteri66. It's reassuring to hear others' experiences. And all the best for your upcoming surgery :-)
Wendy

Old 09-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Once the surgical healing has occurred, you shouldn't notice any difference in movement or "flexibility." L5-S1 is not a segment that carries much movement anyway. However, one issue that people with a fused L5-S1 often experience is the increase with problems with the sacroiliac joints. I had some mild pain for almost a year after my fusion until the muscles and soft tissue became adjusted and used to the new demands. I worked with a therapist who supervised exercises, had weekly acupuncture and things eventually settled down. I am very careful to avoid those things that might cause a sciatic nerve flare.

Perhaps you will not be troubled by this. Perhaps you don't have sciatic type issues to begin with!

When is your surgery?

Old 09-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
WendyTokyo
(female)

WendyTokyo HB User

My surgery date hasn't been set but will likely be January. (I work as a tour guide in Japan and January/February are our quietest months.)
I don't have sciatica but I do have sore SI joints as there is inflammation there. That's unfortunately common with my type of arthritis. Thanks for the information as I wondered if my back would lose more flexibility :-)

Reply Reply