It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Please Help! 23yo Chronic Mid Back Pain - Nothing Works!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Cooper7
(male)

Cooper7 HB User
Please Help! 23yo Chronic Mid Back Pain - Nothing Works!

Hello All,

I am a 23 year old male who has played sports my entire life (played collegiate hockey), eaten well and taken care of myself to the best of my ability.

Over the last 6-7 years I have been debilitated in a huge way from my middle back pain. I am no longer able to work out like I always have, can almost never get to sleep when I want, much less stay asleep, sit on a plane (I travel lots for work, so this really is bad) and any sort of sitting, reaching over my head, etc. aggravates it.

The pain itself: I get this pain in almost any position - sleeping, standing, sitting - and it is a very hot, spasm-like pain in my middle back on both sides of my spine. At it's worse it is probably a 7 and at its best it's around a 3. I have nearly been brought to tears by my back pain throughout the last 6-7 years. It takes place about the middle 12 inches of my back.

Treatments I've Tried: Cortisone injections, chiropractic (4-5 different ones), Physical Therapy with some of the best in the country, all kinds of massage, acupuncture, muscle relaxers, etc. I have tried just about everything outside of surgery.

What relieves the pain (somewhat): Rolling for 5-10 minutes sometimes reduces the pain, Ice has been the most helpful, but only lasts for 30minutes - an hour after I ice. Painkillers, muscle relaxers, etc, stretching, do not seem to help it at all!

Does anyone have an idea on how to approach this? It has completely hindered my life and I have done so much research on my own, seen so many doctors, etc and it has been incredible devastating to know nothing has worked.

Thanks, all! I look forward to some insight - I am desperate to fix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Please Help! 23yo Chronic Mid Back Pain - Nothing Works!

Welcome to the board. From the timeline you put forth, I gather you had this pain during the time you were playing hockey? Did it begin in high school?

Have you had a MRI? Consulted with a spine surgeon? Does the pain come on suddenly and then go away, or is it a constant?

Sorry for all the questions, but more information will be helpful!

Old 10-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Cooper7
(male)

Cooper7 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5470123]Welcome to the board. From the timeline you put forth, I gather you had this pain during the time you were playing hockey? Did it begin in high school?

Have you had a MRI? Consulted with a spine surgeon? Does the pain come on suddenly and then go away, or is it a constant?

Sorry for all the questions, but more information will be helpful![/QUOTE]

I had this pain while I was playing hockey, but the "hunched' forward position hockey naturally puts you in was actually comforting, as most pain hurts when I arch, etc.

The pain does suddenly come and go away, however it's always there in a dull way. Typically, it spasms and gets very "hot" when I am in one position for an extended period of time.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Did you have X-ray or MRI? Do you think the pain is muscular? And it is middle back...thoracic? No lower back pain?

Reply Reply