It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Does Cytomel help treating any back/spinal conditions?!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
Badrshuaib
(male)

Badrshuaib HB User
Does Cytomel help treating any back/spinal conditions?!

Hello,

This is a bit unclear but any piece of info could really help more than you'd think.

A friend of mine had a back problem a year and half ago (I think it was a very mild case of spine scoliosis, not sure though). She went to a local doctor and they gave her -as much as she can remember- a Cytomel back injection. She says it wasn't a thick needle nor did it hurt, so I'm guessing it didn't go through the spine. But it was injected around the spine in different places. She had to take this treatment over weeks until they finished the course. However she didn't feel any improvement after the treatment.

She then started experiencing side effects like racing heart rate every now and then. What's weird is that these side effects are still happening after more than a year and they're making her very exausted all the time. She tried to go back to the same doctor to understand, but they have already moved to another country and are unreachable.

She went to a lot of doctors and did every test to find out what's happening but they all said everything looked normal. They admit that her heart rates are high but there's no clear reason why. After thinking she thought it could be a side effect from the Cytomel she took a year and half ago.

I have two questions here:

1- if this is true, can Cytomel side effects stay for that long? Are they permanent?!

2- I've looked all over the internet, I couldn't find any reference to using Cytomel for treating back conditions. Everything about it was about thyroid problems. So what are we getting wrong?!

Last edited by Badrshuaib; 10-04-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Does Cytomel help treating any back/spinal conditions?!

Welcome to the board. First I want to be sure you know that members are not trained medical professionals, but people with similar ailments who share experiences and information. Keep that in mind as you read!

That being said, the information in your post doesn't add up to me. I am not familiar with any circumstances where cytomel is used to treat back or neck issues. It is given for thyroid issues and is thought to speed up metabolism, so is used by body builders in an attempt to lose weight while adding muscle. Some models and others who wish to lose weight use it to keep slim. I guess it is possible to inject it, but it is usually obtained in pill form.

The common injection given for back issues is a corticosteroid, often given as an epidural spinal injection. This is usually just given in one location, not up and down the spine. And it is sometimes given under sedation because it can be quite painful. The steroid can cause issues with hormones...can cause blood pressure to rise, etc. but that usually goes away as soon as the medication's efficacy wears off...three days.

Finally scoliosis is a deformity of the backbone, causing it to curve to the side. Treatment for this is physical therapy, bracing or major surgery.

So I can't imagine what your girlfriend had done to her. Who was this treatment given by?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Harri3t
Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

My experience is with thyroid issues, not back pain. That said, I have never heard of using cytomel for back pain. A quick review of drug info available in the US states it should never be given as an injection in the way you mention. Is it possible you have the wrong drug name? Maybe the previously mentioned corticosteroids that also start with C, or cortisone?

As for how long cytomel might last in the body- It is a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone triiodothyronine, also known as T3. It leaves the body quickly. The biological half life of cytomel is only a couple of days and none should be detectable after a week or so. If cytomel was truly given, it seems unlikely to me that any would remain from the injection after a year. For your peace of mind you could ask for thyroid blood testing including Free T3. Free T3 is the active form of T3 that could cause rapid heart rate in excess. Testing can’t tell the difference between natural and synthetic T3 but it can tell you if too much is circulating.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Badrshuaib
(male)

Badrshuaib HB User

Thanks for the info guys. They were really helpful.

I should've mentioned that we live in Egypt, medical services here are the worst, so getting mistreated here is not very uncommon. Unfortunately, this was a recommended doctor who had helped a lot of other patients with similar back problems, that's why she didn't question his methods back then.

After some recent online research, we did understand that it is a hormone for thyroid conditions, that's why I'm asking these questions. It's not stated anywhere online that Cytomel can help with back problems. However, we had another doctor here a year ago confirming the name of the drug and the way it was used!!

I know it doesn't make any sense, I'm just hoping to find any clue or explanation except that the doctor was just misusing the drug.

Now about her Free T3 levels, I just checked her most recent tests and they were within the average level. So, this excludes her rapid heart rate condition being a side effect from Cytomel (assuming that's what was given to her a year ago) right?

Old 10-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Harri3t
Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

[QUOTE=Badrshuaib;5470149]...
Now about her Free T3 levels, I just checked her most recent tests and they were within the average level. So, this excludes her rapid heart rate condition being a side effect from Cytomel (assuming that's what was given to her a year ago) right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think that's a reasonable assumption. I'd look elsewhere for a cause. Has she seen a cardiologist? That would be my next step.

Hope you find the answers you seek. Best of health to you and your friend.

Reply Reply