It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Maddening Arm pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
    twells
    (female)

twells HB User
    Maddening Arm pain

I have the most maddening severe arm pain. I started out with neck pain. After a month or two, that has become completely secondary to arm pain with numbness and tingling. Am I wrong to associate the two things? I had 3 cervical discectomies with fusion in 2010. (Now it is 2017.) I had complete success immediately and for about 7 years. In the meantime I've had 2 lumbar surgeries with little success. So I know some pain. I have had frozen shoulders on both sides. This latest arm pain is about to do me in. Comments or suggestions on how to talk to my neurosurgeon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Maddening Arm pain

You don't say which cervical discs were fused in 2010, but I'd be willing to bet the level below the fusion has deteriorated, and is now causing some nerve compression. It is not uncommon to develop "adjacent disc disease" several or many years after a fusion. I just had surgery two weeks ago at L2-3 after being fused at L3-S1 in 2010. Luckily, due to advances in technology, this time I could have a micro surgery rather than needing to add onto the fusion.

Where was your previous cervical fusion?

As to how to talk to the surgeon, just make an appointment and explain your symptoms. They will probably suspect adjacent disc disease right away and will want to get a new MRI.

I should add that when there is a spinal nerve compression, symptoms can be felt at the site (in this case, neck) or any where along the pathway of the nerve....radiating across a shoulder, down an arm, etc. To see which nerve innervates which area, look online for a "dermatome map."

Last edited by teteri66; 10-09-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
    twells
    (female)

twells HB User

Thank you for such a helpful response. And for answering specific questions. The cervical discs fused in 2010 were 4/5, 5/6, 6/7 (I believe). I'm no stranger to pain. But this arm thing makes me cry. And I'm 59 years old.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

C6, C7 and C8 are the primary spinal nerves that innervate the hands and arms. (And across shoulders...). C8 runs across the shoulders and down the outside of the arm, into the little finger. You make have degenerative disc disease, enlarged facet joint or something similar that is pushing into the spinal nerve at this level, causing the symptoms you are feeling.

You won't know what is the appropriate treatment until you see the spine surgeon for an accurate diagnosis.

Good luck. Hope it resolves soon.

Reply Reply