It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Severe Sciatic Pain, Standing and Walking.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #46
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Severe Sciatic Pain, Standing and Walking.

You will be told that you need to be patient, that it takes a long time for nerves to rebound and recover.
The nerve was irritated to begin with. Then the surgeon probably had to tug on the nerve to free it up. You may still be working through this in six months or longer. I can tell you from personal experience, it can take a long time!

Sounds like you are being very conscientious with your walking and rehab. My only advice would be to not push yourself too hard!

The structural alignment gets out of whack when dealing with these back issues. The body automatically compensates for the pain/injury and muscles on the opposing side tend to guard the injured area.

One thing I do every day, morning and night is the following:

Lie on the floor or hard surface on your back, knees bent, feet flat on floor. Place arms close to the sides with palms facing the ceiling. Be sure your body is positioned in a straight line with as much of the spine resting on the floor as is comfortable possible. Be sure pelvis is in neutral position. Now just relax and breathe deeply from the belly (so you see it rising and falling). Continue doing this from several minutes up to 5 minutes.

This position is a natural form of traction. It allows the discs to unload and it serves to reset the parasympathetic nervous system. This will help with structural alignment and facilitate good posture too if done routinely!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #47
toprank
(male)

toprank HB User

Great advice. You know its funny I have not even laid on the floor since I had surgery. I am just now taking a knee to pick up stuff. I am going to try that tomorrow, be a good form of Meditation before leaving for work and resetting my body as you said. The other day in the shower I stood against the wall of the shower for a few minutes trying to see how it felt to be completely straight, felt strange, but I will let you know how the floor does.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #48
Kognisjon
(female)

Kognisjon HB User

If that is what's going on, the good news is that as back surgeries go, it is a fairly simple procedure. It can be done using micro surgery techniques and most stay just overnight in hospital. Healing is about six weeks plus whatever rehab is needed

Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #49
toprank
(male)

toprank HB User

[QUOTE=Kognisjon;5474863]If that is what's going on, the good news is that as back surgeries go, it is a fairly simple procedure. It can be done using micro surgery techniques and most stay just overnight in hospital. Healing is about six weeks plus whatever rehab is needed[/QUOTE]
Surgery was already done? Everything thing seems to be on track will hit 6 week mark New Years, walking 2 miles a day now still weakness in left calf but improving some and lower legs always sore the next morning probably start core PT rehab next week.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #50
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sounds like you are progressing. Did you try my floor traction exercise? It may take ten days or so of doing it at least every day before you may notice any difference, but it should help with posture.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #51
toprank
(male)

toprank HB User

I started doing the Floor Traction like you said a few weeks ago and I was amazed how well I felt during and after. I told my wife I could probably sleep on the floor if I had a little something to put my head on, and I do it is a hardwood. My wife and daughter have been doing it as well and have no back issues, just seems to align them. I had my 6 week post op appointment the other day and the doctor said when he did my surgery my leg would kick and jump every time he touch the nerve. Said from that he could tell I was in a lot of pain pre surgery. Anyway yesterday was the first day I did some PT at home, I mean very little just easing in, and today I am a little sore but not bad at all. I have not used some of those muscles in months. I was thinking, tell me if I am wrong but I don't believe I should arch or hunch my back during PT at this time? I see some crazy videos where they have people doing all sorts of stuff that to me should not be done yet. Most of the movements I did were breathing from the belly trying to use the abs as much as possible. I did one set of the exercise where you lift your butt off the floor with both feet bent and flat on the floor laying face up and I did one set of lunges but holding onto something so I was not using my full body weight and one set of deep squats the same thing supporting my weight with my arms. Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #52
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hurray! You are the first person who has reported back to me that you tried the natural traction exercise...and I cannot even guess how many times I have written it out for people! I can not recommend it highly enough and it is so easy.

It probably will not hurt you to arch forward but you do not want to extend backward at this point, at least not very far or often)...the important thing is to not do any type of repetitious bending (over and over and over again.).

How are you feeling by now?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 AM   #53
toprank
(male)

toprank HB User
Thumbs up Re: Severe Sciatic Pain, Standing and Walking.

I am actually feeling pretty good. Sleeping through the night most nights. I can work drive do most things without much pain. Pre surgery I was honestly a 1 out of 100, doing just basic stuff, sleeping, walking, no pain. Now I would say I am a 90 if I had to score it. I feel normal again but trying to fight the urge to do stuff I was doing before until I am ready. I am hoping to be back where I was in 6 months but time will tell. Last night I went and did the full body Cryotherapy Machine with my daughter who is home from college, she has always wanted to try it and I said well it can't hurt so I got in after she was done and I have used it before I hurt my back. I am not one of these that thinks it cures everything but it felt good while I was in there and I don't feel any worse today.
One thing the surgeon did tell me at my 6 week post op was if I re rupture or herniate the disc I will probably end up in the ER from the pain. I can't imagine it being worse than the first time, probably the same but who knows. I have just come to far with surgery and laying on my back to take a chance on re-injuring it again. Not to mention the amount of money I am being charged for all of it, but it was worth it. I have a daily reminder at 5pm on my phone to do the "TT66 Body Alignment" every day and I think that helps as much as most of the simple PT stuff.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #54
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

This all sounds very positive. However, please don't be in a hurry. It is very important that you learn to listen to your body rather than setting goals on a timeline. The thing to remember is to avoid anything that has a chance of causing a nerve flare. It is much easier to gradually, very slowly, increase what you are doing than to do it too quickly, cause nerve flare that brings back old symptoms, and then have to start over trying to get the nerve to calm down. When a person gets into this cycle, it can be difficult to break the pattern. Sometimes the brain begins to interpret the signal as "pain" even when the nerve is no longer compressed.

Another reason to avoid reherniation is that it eventually leads to a fusion surgery. Usually a herniated disc can only be repaired twice before it requires a more invasive surgery.

Reply Reply