It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Fusion L 4 & 5 plus cyst removal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
    Platform
    (male)

Platform HB User
    Fusion L 4 & 5 plus cyst removal

On Nov 21, 2017, Iím scheduled to undergo intensive lumbar surgery for fusion of 4&5 with cyst removal. Everything I read indicates a very painful and long recovery period. Iím 73 years old. I would appreciate experienced advice. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Fusion L 4 & 5 plus cyst removal

Welcome to the board. Recovery is long but it is not necessarily painful after the first week. Let me ask you a few questions and then I will write more.

How is your health in general? How mobile are you? Do you live with someone or will someone be with you post surgery? Do you have pain running down your leg or is it all in the back?

You will find a wealth of information found in a "stickie note" that is located near the top of the Back Problems page entitled something like " post surgery must-haves." This thread contains a variety of ideas of suggestions that patients have found useful in their recovery. I suggest you read through it just so you get some idea of what you are getting into! Most of the suggestions are things that are nice, but not necessary.

My first surgery was a L4-5 PLIF (open surgery through the back). I found it very helpful to have a raised toilet seat. I also bought a shower chair which I still keep in the shower. My energy was very low after surgery, and I found it very helpful to be able to sit down during my shower.

Most people complain of it taking a long time for energy levels to return. General anesthetic takes a lot out of a person and I found it took months to return to something like normal. Of course I'm sure this depends on how active the person is prior to surgery. Many back patients are in so much pain that they are not able to do much prior to surgery.

If you have specific questions, please ask. And remember, post surgery, that we are here to help with questions that pop up during recovery!

Last edited by teteri66; 11-10-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Fusion L 4 & 5 plus cyst removal

Be sure to stock up on items to deal with constipation...things like a stool softener, a gentle laxative, lots of fluids you enjoy, high fiber fruits and vegetables, etc. the pain medications tend to be constipating and you don't want to deal with this issue on top of the surgical pain!

Reply Reply