It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

stenosis and urination change question

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
scinmyheart
(male)

scinmyheart HB User
stenosis and urination change question

I’ve been in pain management with lumbar issues for the past 15+ years...currently taking MS Contin 15mg X 2 and oxycodone 10/325 X 4 a long time. I,ve had my current issues for a long time...had a L4-L5 fusion with cage early 2010

I also have a small umbilical hernia since early summer with no symptoms that I’ll be taking of the first of the year

below is my latest MRI taken the first of October...the previous one was 3 years ago and did not really list the stenosis

...getting to my question: within the past 3 months or so, I’ve had to urinate more often than in the past...I’m not a big liquid drinker during the day...3-4 cups of coffee early morning...2 glasses of tea at supper and that’s pretty much it

I’ve really never had to urinate that often...always relative to the amount of liquid I consume over the course of the day...go to the bathroom after I get up...late morning after my coffee then before bed...I also would wake up about 5 am and go as I am 60 years old (used to laugh at my daddy doing that now he’s getting me back)

but lately I seem to have to go every 3-4 hours and 3 times overnight...still the same liquid intake...seems to be more urination amount than I drink...no problem starting or stopping...sometimes when the urge strikes I can’t wait as long before having to go...used to be able to hold it for a long time

Secondly, here comes the sex performance situation...along the same time I seem to not be able to have an erection that is as hard as in the past...I know I’m getting a little older, but geez...my wife is definitely no “scag”...the desire is still there and then some...no stress, etc..,jjust never really no issue until now

I had a physical over the summer with no prostrate issues

...so could the urination and erection issues be related to the stenosis that has developed?

latest MRI:

L1-L2...mild facet arthropathy

L2-L3...mild loss of disc space with small leftvparacentraldisc protrusion...small extruded compensating not displacing nerve roots...mild facet arthropathy and ligamentum flavum thickening with minimal bilateral fora I also narrowing

L3-L4...mild-to-moderate loss of disc space height with mild broad disc bulging which effaced the anterior thecal sac without significant canal stenosis...mild bilateral facet hypertrophic with ligamentum flavum thickening...minimal foraminal narrowing

L4-L5...disc level fused with some bony hypertrophic/osteophytic ridging creating mild bilateral foraminal narrowing...no significant central canal narrowing

L5-S1...moderate bilateral hypertrophic...central canal and neural foremen are widely patent

SORRY THIS IS SO LONG

thanks for any input if you didn’t fall asleep and hit your head while reading!

Last edited by scinmyheart; 11-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: stenosis and urination change question

Probably not. You would need to have severe central canal stenosis in order for the spinal nerves to be sufficiently compressed to cause bladder or bowel issues. The symptoms come on very suddenly and are usually more along the lines of incontinence. It is possible for some nerve compression to cause some symptoms, so I suppose your issue and the "sex performance" issue could be caused by some nerve compression...but I don't see this theory supported by what's in the MRI report.

Mild stenosis is not enough compression to be of much significance...and at L5-S1 there is no stenosis in either the foraminal openings or central canal. These are the nerves that would most likely cause issues with bladder or bowel. I don't believe this is the answer to your questions.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
scinmyheart
(male)

scinmyheart HB User
Re: stenosis and urination change question

teteri66, thanks for your analysis

I guess it's back to the PCP for a little prostate check

hope you are doing well

Reply Reply