It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Lumbar back pain extremely hurts

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Taylor1318
(female)

Taylor1318 HB User
Lumbar back pain extremely hurts

I use to be in great shape, now falling apart. I feel I have everything wrong with me after my first surgery in 2006 with a total hip replacement. Now I am having major back problems that started in 2009. In 2009 my doctor was ready to do my lumbar surgery after doing a diskogram on me but some family issues came up..in 2009 I was on Vicodin and that was it...Iím hurting so bad and the same doctor who wanted to do surgery in 2009 now wants me to go to PT he said I didnít need surgery...my back says different...it needs something....I canít stand or sit long. I do exercise, use heat and tens machine. Iím on pain meds, Fentanyl and oxycodone thatís not even working now...everything from the exercises I do works then goes away...any answers out there.?
My MRI READ __Multilevel mild degenerative disc disease and mild facet arthropathy, including small annular tears at L4-L5 and L5-S1. No significant spinal canal stenosis at any level. Multilevel mild foraminal stenosis.
My x rays say I have . Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease...the x rays didnít show up in 2009. It was the diskogram that was performed and hurt so bad I jumped from the pain...any answers or suggestions?
Thank you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Lumbar back pain extremely hurts

Welcome to the board. I don't know if the condition of your back has changed since 2009. It may be that you had a disc hernia Timon at the time that was acute and causing lots of pain. Then I gather it either got better on its own, or you have lived with it ever since.

If you went to just about any spine surgeon, unless the actual MRI holds some information that is not revealed in the report, you would be told that conservative treatment is the way to go, that surgery is not warranted.

This is due to the findings which indicate mild (this on a scale that goes: minimal, mild, moderate and severe) DDD, and no central canal stenosis. Nerves are not being compressed. Almost any issue that is rated to be minimal or mild, and often moderate, is always treated with conservative methods such as a course of PT, oral medications for pain and swelling, a series of epidural steroid injections given for the same purpose, perhaps some manual manipulation, massage, tens, etc.

One consideration may be that insurance carriers have changed their criteria for spine surgeries in general. Unless there is instability or nerve compression, surgeries may not be approved. This may be one reason your spine surgeon was ready to operate in 2009 and is not recommending it now. But your situation may be different now, too! I have no way of knowing that.

Try to find a physical therapist who will work with you on good posture and structural alignment. I suspect your hip surgery has thrown off the mechanics of your back. Posture is like a series of building blocks where things must balance and line up properly in order to have a sound mechanical functioning.

Posture begins with the feet. The "boxes" that stack on top of that firm foundation are the ankles, knees, hips, shoulders and head. If the feet pronate, for example, it changes the angle of the leg, causing knees to rotate in, and for the pelvis to tip forward and the hips to be carried at different heights. If the head is carried forward it causes the shoulders to round, and changes the natural curves of the spine. Any slight variation in any of these building blocks can throw of structural alignment.

You might want to look into a bodywork technique like active release technique or similar.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Railroad Man
(male)

Railroad Man HB UserRailroad Man HB User
Re: Lumbar back pain extremely hurts

[QUOTE=Taylor1318;5473938]I use to be in great shape, now falling apart. I feel I have everything wrong with me after my first surgery in 2006 with a total hip replacement. Now I am having major back problems that started in 2009. In 2009 my doctor was ready to do my lumbar surgery after doing a diskogram on me but some family issues came up..in 2009 I was on Vicodin and that was it...Iím hurting so bad and the same doctor who wanted to do surgery in 2009 now wants me to go to PT he said I didnít need surgery...my back says different...it needs something....I canít stand or sit long. I do exercise, use heat and tens machine. Iím on pain meds, Fentanyl and oxycodone thatís not even working now...everything from the exercises I do works then goes away...any answers out there.?
My MRI READ __Multilevel mild degenerative disc disease and mild facet arthropathy, including small annular tears at L4-L5 and L5-S1. No significant spinal canal stenosis at any level. Multilevel mild foraminal stenosis.
My x rays say I have . Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease...the x rays didnít show up in 2009. It was the diskogram that was performed and hurt so bad I jumped from the pain...any answers or suggestions?
Thank you...[/QUOTE]

Reply Reply