It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Mild levoscoliosis. Increased lordosis.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
blessedman
(male)

blessedman HB User
Mild levoscoliosis. Increased lordosis.

Hi,

I've been having some lower back pain and took an X-ray and got the following analysis from a radiologist.

Could someone knowledgeable please explain how severe this sounds?

Also, I wonder if this sounds like an innate or an acquired condition.

EXAM: X-RAY LUMBAR SPINE, MINIMUM 4 VIEWS

HISTORY: Pain

TECHNIQUE: AP, obliques, and lateral views.

COMPARISON: None available.

FINDINGS: Mild levoscoliosis with increased lordosis. The vertebral body heights, alignment, and disc spaces are preserved. There are five lumbar vertebral bodies.
The facet joints have normal alignment. No pars defects are seen.
No significant degenerative changes are seen. No focal compression fracture.

IMPRESSION: Mild levoscoliosis. Increased lordosis.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Mild levoscoliosis. Increased lordosis.

Welcome to the board. If this were my X-ray, I would be very relieved. Every component of the spine appears to be normal other than the mild scoliosis. If you are unfamiliar with scoliosis, you can look it up for a detailed explanation. Levoscoliosis just means that there is a curve toward the left side of the spinal column. If this is the first you are learning of this, it could be something you have acquired, or it could be congenital and just never noticed before. I don't know what you've been told, but I would be surprised if this small amount of scoliosis is the source of your pain.

Lordosis refers to the normal inward curve of the spine. The spinal column may appear straight, but a normal spine has three curves...the neck and lower back curve in (lordotic), and the middle part of the back, the thoracic spine, has an outward curve (kyphotic). When the lordotic curve becomes exaggerated, the
person may be said to have a "swayback." Sometimes when there is an exaggerated kyphotic curve, it looks like a "hump back."

Sometimes a person develops a mild case of scoliosis from muscle imbalances that pull a section of the spine slightly out of position. If your doctor thinks it would be helpful, there are exercises you can do to keep the curve from becoming worse. There are also videos available that you could use.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
blessedman (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
blessedman
(male)

blessedman HB User
Thumbs up Re: Mild levoscoliosis. Increased lordosis.

Thanks a bunch to Teteri66 for the detailed and knowledgeable explanation.

I'm relieved now!

Reply Reply