It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Conditioning exercises lumbar herniation [please all help sharing together]

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
apodl
(male)

apodl HB User
Smile Conditioning exercises lumbar herniation [please all help sharing together]

I believe this will heal much faster if the person can keep active during the recovery.

I find that most doctors and physical therapists just tell you that you shouldn't do too much and a lot of information about what you cannot do but not what you CAN do.

Lets collect exercises that can be done that don't put pressure on the lumbar spine.

Definitely okay:
1. Backstroke swimming.
2. Calf training, either standing or sitting in machine.
3. Bicep/tricep training, laying on floor and using a band or machine.
4. Grip strength training.
5. Walking (incline ok?)
6. Chest presses ?
7. Slow Pullups ?
8. Dips ?

Maybe:
1. Stationary biking (the sitting in it is not good)

Not okay:
1. Leg presses, squats, deadlifts..
2. Running

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quick story: I believe my L5S1 bulged in August / Sep, then herniated in Nov after more training and endless stretches to relax the back muscles which was counterproductive. From Nov I'm creating a 12 month recovery plan as follows (already 1 month into it and pain just started to subside a couple of days ago):

Months 1-3: Make sure you don't put any pressure on the low back. Don't carry or lift anything heavy. Avoid sitting; instead stand, walk sit on knees. Focused on keeping upright posture at all times, absolutely no forward bending, doing McKenzie extension exercises but not to the extreme. Hanging every now and then. Light training with the things marked "okay" above. Do not stretch much.

Months 4-6:
At this time, the pain should have subsided considerably, and hopefully the herniated material will have resorbed back in place. Stabilisation exercises, light exercises to strengthen lower back muscles and lower abdominal muscles. Strengthen the core without risking going too far!

Months 7-9:
Measure strength in all relevant muscles on both sides. Most people will have one side stronger than the other. Find the weaker side and isolate it until you have equal strength in both sides. Strengthen muscles in the hips, buttocks and thighs. Start introducing flexion. It is important to have equal strength on both sides because otherwise the stronger side will take more of the weight carrying and the weaker side will have more likelihood of bulging / herniating. Stretch all relevant muscles.

Months 10-12:
Now both sides should have same strength, if not repeat months 7-9. Further strengthen upper leg muscles ( so they can carry more weight, and core muscles in lower back and abdominal. Use weights, i.e. lunges with weights. Stretch more and improve flexibility.

Months 13+:
Return to normal activity / contact sport. Always focus on correct posture, try to rather lift lighter weights more times than maximising on heavier weights.

Additional notes during months 1-12:
Eat healthy, lots of vegetables
Drink a lot of water
Relevant vitamins months 1-3
Think about keeping correct lordosis in the back.
Enough sleep
Don't drink / smoke
Maintain good bodyweight.
Make it a habit to sometimes lay on your stomach in bed, never slouch in couches and keep active, don't be in same position for too long.

What you can do?
If you know of any exercises that do not put pressure on the lumbar spine please post them in comments and I'll add them above. I don't care if they are really boring, I want to keep my condition same or better during this recovery. Any thoughts on inversion, if that should be added and during what months? Any thoughts at all positive or negative please post.

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
exercises, healing, l5s1, lumbar herniation