It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Husband herniated disc problems

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Kelpacz

Kelpacz HB User
Husband herniated disc problems

My husband has had herniated disc surgery 6 mos ago....he currently has only gotten a morning erection once, has no sex drive. Is this permanent damage or will this come back. He is only 37 and his herniation was 4 inches.
I feel really alone in all this and wonder if I did something wrong. He doesn't really want to talk about it and just recently told me this after a fight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
apodl
(male)

apodl HB User
Re: Husband herniated disc problems

why in the world would you think you did something wrong?? Is he on a healthy diet, does some kind of exercise (whatever you can do 6 months post surgery), does not drink and does not smoke?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Kelpacz

Kelpacz HB User

He does smoke and we have been trying to eat healthier. I just feel that since his sex drive is low, maybe its something to do with me. He said that the Dr said the anesthesia they used that this could be a side effect but wouldn't be out of his system by now?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The general anesthetic affects the hormones and it can take many months for the body to return to normal...the anesthetic itself is out of the body, but its effects can linger for a long time.

Do you know at what level the surgery occurred? Was it in the lower lumbar area?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
Kelpacz

Kelpacz HB User

I am not sure the exact lumbar but it was at the lower base of his back. He had to have a 2 1/2 inch incision and the dr said it was the largest herniation he had seen in his whole career.
Thank you for informing me about the anesthesia, I was worried that it was me causing the issues.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would give it a bit longer. If it continues though, it is remotely possible that a spinal nerve that controls sexual function was injured during surgery.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
Kelpacz

Kelpacz HB User

Ok, thank you for your advice. I appreciate the information as my husband doesn't really want to talk about it.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
Kelpacz

Kelpacz HB User

Thanks again

Last edited by Kelpacz; 01-10-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Posted twice

Old 01-15-2018, 05:04 AM   #9
koby2000
(male)

koby2000 HB User

Anything is possible with herniated disks. the disk could be so far herniated that its touching more of the nerve. I just had a laminectomy because of a pinched nerve. I can relate to hubbies pain. I also went to the Er a few times to control pain. Is he going to have surgery asap?

Reply Reply