It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Erector Spinae - Muscle sprain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
    nesty
    (male)

nesty HB User
    Erector Spinae - Muscle sprain

Hi
    I am in the UK. Earlier in the week had a real back pain, just couldn't really move. Pain got worse and now housebound.
    The pain is coming from the Erector Spinae area, also hurting when breathing. I get spasms from the muscle.
    Anyone know what remedy is best or a gel product and any exercises?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Erector Spinae - Muscle sprain

That is such a large collection of muscle. Where specifically is your pain? Are you sure it is truly back pain and not radiating from an internal organ? What are your symptoms?

Old 04-15-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
    nesty
    (male)

nesty HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5480826]That is such a large collection of muscle. Where specifically is your pain? Are you sure it is truly back pain and not radiating from an internal organ? What are your symptoms?[/QUOTE]

Apologises I should of been more precise.

The pain is coming from right side of my spine mid-way down, just to the right. The muscle area where bottom rear rib cage/top of liver.
    I can walk slowly ahead ok, though rotating really makes muscle spasm. The sensation like the muscle locks and the more you hold that position the more the pain quickly rises. I don't have any tingling in my legs or arms, hands etc.

Had this about 6 days. I haven't visited the Doctor yet. I've used hot and cold packs, used Ibuprofen heat gel, but the symptoms have not improved. I am in my 40's. If this is a muscle pull, I suppose it will be 2 weeks before I see any real improvement?

Last edited by nesty; 04-15-2018 at 05:46 AM.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sounds like you are doing the right things -- ice and /or heat, ibuprofen for swelling, avoid activities that aggravate it, probably no twisting, etc. You could try one of those over-the- counter products that you rub on the skin.

Soft tissue sprains and injuries can take a long time to heal, and can be quite painful while doing so. Hopefully you are through the worst of it by now.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    nesty (04-15-2018)
    Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
    nesty
    (male)

nesty HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5480854]Sounds like you are doing the right things -- ice and /or heat, ibuprofen for swelling, avoid activities that aggravate it, probably no twisting, etc. You could try one of those over-the- counter products that you rub on the skin.

Soft tissue sprains and injuries can take a long time to heal, and can be quite painful while doing so. Hopefully you are through the worst of it by now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.
    I have only just discovered that the previously opened Ibuprofen gel I have been using is vastly out of date, I can't believe I did not spot that. The anti-inflammatory benefit is probably not there.
    In UK, we have a product called Voltarol gel. It is pricey but very well reviewed. I shall get some in the morning and hopefully that will assist matters.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
    nesty
    (male)

nesty HB User

Done some light stretches today I think it might of helped slightly.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I should have mentioned to try to keep moving. Gentle stretching and light walking are helpful.

Last edited by teteri66; 04-16-2018 at 05:34 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    nesty (04-16-2018)
    Old 04-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
    nesty
    (male)

nesty HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5480905]Yes, I should have mentioned to try to keep moving. Gentle stretching and light walking are helpful.[/QUOTE]

Saw the GP in the end today. The back wasn't getting any better.

GP did range of mobility tests and my spine ok, though have a very bad muscle pull. Prescribed me Diazepam & Naproxen. Hopefully on a road to some improvement.
    Many thanks for the advice.

Reply Reply