It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Depression after back surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 AM   #1
    BagDadwolfteam6
    (female)

BagDadwolfteam6 HB User
    Depression after back surgery

Hi. I'm so glad I finally got to join! In on my 8th day. Had a microdiscectomy, and unsure what else. I was cut I'm my right hip, and left side of my spine. Yesterday had to change put the dressing and put more on it. I have been extremely depressed, and I keep hearing this is normal. The Dr prescribed cymbalta for nerve pain, Percocet, and valium for muscle spasms. I'm wondering about this valium..I keep shaking, and apparently I started doing that during surgery. So I'm supposed to take 5mg valium every 6 hours. Does anyone else have these issues? Please tell me I'm not alone. I had no idea I would be so emotional, as I have had a lot of surgeries. I thought the hysterectomy was the worst before this one. Before the hysterectomy I thought the cystocopy was the worst. Before that I thought my shoulder surgery was the worst. I am teying to think positive. And as bad as this sounds, I'm praying that I'm not alone as far as the whole depression thing..I was not prepared for this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Depression after back surgery

Welcome to the board. I'm not sure why you had such an emotional reaction to this surgery, as I would not consider it a common reaction. Any time one undergoes general anesthetic, the body can react in new and interesting ways, not necessarily the same experience each time. In a micro discectomy, very little bone and muscle is cut, so that cannot be the culprit. I'm wondering if you had more done that you think.

Did you mean to say you were cut on the right hip and left side of the spine? If so, where on the right hip? Did anyone say " fusion?"

Is the incision weeping?

I think as the effects of the anesthetic wears off...and it can take weeks, you will gradually start to feel better. I believe your symptoms are caused by the hormonal changes from the anesthetic rather than from the surgery on the back.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Depression after back surgery

It is very common to feel depressed after surgery. The anesthesia is a depressant, many people get depressed from Valium and narcotics like Percocet. The Cymbalta is actually an antidepressant, but it works slowly over a couple of weeks. You have undoubtedly also been in pain for awhile before the surgery, and chronic pain depresses people. Now that the problem has been fixed, once your surgical pain is gone, you should feel much better. You might consider asking your Dr to change your muscle relaxant. There are many available, and I suspect the Valium could be a major contributor to the depression. You are still very recently out of surgery, and will feel better as the anesthesia clears from your brain and you see your progress each day. I have had 3 back surgeries and had this reaction to every one. It will get better and the Cymbalta should help.

Reply Reply