It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

In agony after disc herniation surgery in jan 2018

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2018, 02:26 AM   #1
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User
In agony after disc herniation surgery in jan 2018

My wife had a disc herniation in january of this year on L1.She had surgery and started to improve.Her gp sent her to a pain clinic 5 weeks ago for steroid injections in L1L2 L3 L4 L5 for 2 weeks she was ok but these last 3 weeks she has been in excruciating pain.We eventually got her into hospital where a Mri scan shows a piece of this same disc broken off in that area .She has been at home all this time so a bit confused as to how this has happened.We have got 3 choices operate to remove, an injection, or do nothing and carry on in agony screaming and tears.She cant walk at all none of the painkillers work not trammadol gabapentin.liquid morphine or the anti inflammatories.its like a burning poker down back of her right leg.she has to slouch as other positions is agony.Just wondering what you guys think

Last edited by Wilson70; 06-05-2018 at 02:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
re: In agony after disc herniation surgery in jan 2018

Wilson70, what does her surgeon recommend?

It seems to me that the piece of broken disc has to be removed.
I wonder what the surgeon is waiting for.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User
In agony after disc herniation durgery in jan 2018

[QUOTE=YaYagirl;5483590]Wilson70, what does her surgeon recommend?

It seems to me that the piece of broken disc has to be removed.
I wonder what the surgeon is waiting for.[/QUOTE]
He said today that he had 3 damaged discs and all were treated with injections and that would be his choice of the 3.The piece of disc should naturally disintegrate.He said if it did not work then we can go with surgery.I feel this is a softer option and hope this does the trick.She is now using diyazapam on top of all the other medications when the leg goes into spazyms and thats quite frequent.He wants her to come back next week for the injection but she cant walk without being in total agony.A lot of the staff there do not understand the pain she is going through and can be unhelpful in their care at times.He is going to see her physio to see what the situation is with her mobility tomorrow.She shuffled 3ft today alongside bed , sat down and was in tears with pain 5 minutes later.They had to hold off taking her blood pressure test as she was so distraught.

Last edited by Wilson70; 06-05-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Wilson70,

It's a huge assumption that she can just deal with the pain until bone dissolves or that it will dissolve fast enough. I had a similar situation when after a surgery I was kept over night expressly for pain management and the staff were on breaks and one was a real jerk. I could not walk and he refused to bring the bedpan. I watched the clock for my pain med and the staff ignored it. I phoned my husband and he had to drive to the hospital in the middle of the night to tell the head nurse that the doctor wanted me there overnight so I would be kept comfortable, before they finally took care of me. A complaint was also made to the hospital and of course they apologized, but what does that mean to the patient that suffered?

The doctor's decision may have seemed like a softer solution before now, but I'm sure were it my spouse I would call an ambulance and get her to Emergency at a different hospital and with a different doctor.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 06-05-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User

This is our local hospital and to go to another one would mean starting the whole process again.My wife was sent home 2 times with medication and I cannot see her go through all that again.The consultant had said he had 3 herniated discs on his books and they were all treated with injections and there was no problem after that.I have to believe his knowledge.Sure its a gamble but we have a surgery option after that.I do not like gambling with my wifes health but to go elsewhere I could put her in even greater risk.Who knows WHO is the best doctor? Unless your an expert in the field we are all at their mercy.Even private is no guarantee as he does those operations aswell.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sorry to join in here a bit late...but is your wife in pain all the time regardless of positioning? Obviously either the fragment is resting against a spinal nerve or it may have pierced a nerve.

Are the injections you refer to an epidural steroid injection? The steroid would reduce inflammation and might help with pain but will not dissolve the disc fragment or cause it to move.

Is the guy you are seeing the one who performed the surgery?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5483748]Sorry to join in here a bit late...but is your wife in pain all the time regardless of positioning? Obviously either the fragment is resting against a spinal nerve or it may have pierced a nerve.

Are the injections you refer to an epidural steroid injection? The steroid would reduce inflammation and might help with pain but will not dissolve the disc fragment or cause it to move.

Is the guy you are seeing the one who performed the surgery?[/QUOTE]
The guy who performed the surgery is doing the Steroid/Epidural injections.She has managed to find a position where she can rest for a while but even then its still painful. Doc is saying they are going in from her side rather than the way they did before.The hope it lasts for 3 months but worse case 2 weeks and then removal of disc in the future

Last edited by Wilson70; 06-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I've never heard of them going in from the side for in injection for a disc. I can't quite figure out how that is done. I hope it works. The frustrating thing with injections is you never know whether it will make any difference.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User

One is to calm the nerve down and the other is the anaesethic.He did say from the side.It so much to take in and understand what they are trying to do.Im hoping she has a long length of time pain free at home when she is discharged from hospital.All being well after this injection the exercise she will do will help her recover slowly slowly.I really dont want her to have the op but if it happens it happens.

Last edited by Wilson70; 06-07-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User
Re: In agony after disc herniation surgery in jan 2018

My wife had the injections in her back.She said it was like a hammer whacking into the back of her leg with the 1 that went into her nerve.She has done a couple of short length walks 15ft with physio guidance 24hrs after injection.Doc said they could last 2 weeks or 3 months.Then it would require surgury.They are hoping physiotherapy will help alleviate the pain and then she wont need any further treatment.She does seem a lot better but I know it is really too soon to think too positive.I feel another 24hrs we will have a good idea of where we go with this.If it flares up in the future then we have no option but back to the hospital.

Last edited by Wilson70; 06-12-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User

She had the epidural sterioid/ injection .A week on and she is still in agony.She is on Morphine and Dizapam and that is just enough to cut the pain down.She is still on gabapentin naproxyn paracetamol codeine trammadol.She takes all these on top of her blood pressure and diabetic tablets.The consultant wants to see her in 4 weeks when she is eventually released from hospital.She will be taking amitriptylene and oro morph until she sees him.The options for operation are still there but I think they are waiting to see if the piece of disc will disintegrate enough for him to operate more safely

Last edited by Wilson70; 06-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry your wife is in so much pain and that the injection did t help. If there is a disc fragment pressing into a nerve, it makes sense to me that the injection would not be particularly helpful. Until the disc fragment moves off the nerve, the pain will persist.

I'm afraid the ways of handling these types of injuries are different where you live. Here in the US, doctors are much more likely to recommend surgery sooner than is commonly done in the UK and Europe. Since that is the medical system I am familiar with, I find that I am not able to offer any good suggestions at this point.

I can tell you with that kind of pain, there is no medication that puts much of a dent into it. The opioids only make you care a bit less. It is a terrible situation to find oneself in. I hope it resolves for her soon.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:16 AM   #13
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User

My wife is now at home with a physio visiting mon-sat.she is doing the required exercises with him.Overnight the agony from doing those exercises is evident and Sunday (today) day 5 she is still in agony crying depressed taking all the meds but as you said nothing is denting that agony.I just sit there and watch this unfold daily and feel helpless.I cant think or find anything to help with the agonising pain she is enduring.You would think oromorph dizapam paracetamol gabapenitin amitrypteline, would do something but NO.Anyone reading this have any suggestions it would be appeeciated very much by my wife.She is right now in bed in agony on a full dose of meds with a hot water bottle on the back of her thigh covering the sciatic nerve hoping to fall asleep soon to forget the pain until she was wakes up sometime this afternoon to take another dose of seeminlgy ineffective meds.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear Wilson,

Were I in the same situation my husband would be taking me to the emergency room and insisting that this situation be corrected.

The (IMO) lackadaisical perception of her surgeon is unacceptable. I haven't read every message here, so does she have a primary care doctor? Suffering is completely subjective. No one has have the right to determine how much anyone else 'should' be suffering.

In fact, many years ago I was in a similar situation, having had femur bone length reduction and the surgeon insisted on inserting a rod for stability while healing, even though I had had a rod in my other femur (all this was because of a serious accident I had been in) and the bone had twisted on the rod, and the rod had to be removed and a plate put in. I had told the new surgeon I did not want to risk having to have two surgeries again but he convinced me he knew best. So, you can guess the rest. I was in horrendous pain and an x-ray revealed that the femur had indeed twisted on the new rod. That rod had to be removed and a plate inserted. The surgeon was so apologetic. Big deal. Maybe he learned to listen. I know I would not trust him again.

I suggest that you listen to your wife and be her advocate. If you know she is not a crybaby, then stand up to the surgeon, and if he stands firm you can get a second opinion outside of that medical group. Insurance has to pay for that in America, I believe. How will everyone feel if the bone chip cuts a nerve?

Praying for all involved.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #15
Wilson70
(male)

Wilson70 HB User

Thanks for the response YaYagirl.The piece of disc is what they are hoping will move or shrink in the next 6 weeks away from the nerve.They will then go in to remove whats left.My wife is in more pain due to her poor healing which does not help.The consultant has told us that to operate now could be risky as nerve damage could be caused which is why he wants to wait the 6 weeks for another Mri to see what has happened before making a further decision on surgury.Time ticks so slowly when your in agony ,she cant go anywhere and as I spend 4 days with her I see it 1st hand.Any suggestions to knock the sciatica pain down will make her day.
Regards

Wilson

Reply Reply