It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Unidentified back problems ... help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
    boohoover
    (female)

boohoover HB User
    Exclamation Unidentified back problems ... help

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum and I had a question regarding some excessive popping and discomfort in my back. I have researched everywhere and nothing seems to explain what exactly is going on.

In short, my back pops. When I was a kid and growing up, I would pop my back on chairs or my knuckles during class etc. and I know what natural, healthy recalibration feels like, but this is a little different.

My back pops all the time, and by that I mean I have to pop it nearly every 30 minutes. Its uncomfortable, painful sometimes even. My lower back gets stiff, and when I lay down or lean back, rolling my tailbone in, I feel my lumbar area pop and readjust in several places. I do this 3-4 times a day. When I wake up in the morning, I feel such a strong compression/feeling of pressure in my whole back that I can't do anything unless I twist and turn my hips and shoulders, popping what feels like every vertebrae I have.
    Im not sure if this helps, but I also 2-3 times a day have to lean against an elevated surface (countertop, desk, etc) and shrug my shoulders, usually popping my clavicle area and sometimes into my sternum/chest. When I lay down, I often find myself tightening my traps or bringing my shoulder blades together, which alleviates discomfort and can be repeated almost nonstop to continue popping my upper back/neck area. sometimes the area by my left hip (close to where some people have dimples) pinches up and I have to roll my hips back and forth to help with the discomfort).

I went to a chiropractor about 6 months ago, who readjusted, popped, and ensured me that it was natural. told me just to "stop popping". I felt no relief from his services, and couldn't bring myself to drive my car until I sat back and twisted around in both direction to pop everything he didn't get to.
    I really have no idea what to do, and I am not sure if I am ready to enter the world of scans, tests, and money-burning. I am an extremely active college student, but even hiking is beginning to hurt after a couple of miles. please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Unidentified back problems... help

Please go see an orthopedic doctor who deals with the spine and get checked out. Chiropractors have their place...but they are not medical doctors and don't know everything. They also cannot do tests which an MD can order.

Get checked out and make sure that there isnt something really wrong- and in the meantime stay away from being adjusted.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    boohoover (06-07-2018)
    Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
    boohoover
    (female)

boohoover HB User
    Re: Unidentified back problems... help

Do you have any speculations as to what it might be? I plan on seeing a doctor, but in the meantime anything would help.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Unidentified back problems ... help

Instead of popping your spine, try the following exercise for a week or two.

Lie flat on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Place arms as close to sides as is comfortable, palms facing up toward ceiling. Be sure pelvis is in neutral position, neither tipping forward or back. (Sometimes it is helpful to do a bridge to get pelvis in proper position.). Now relax and breathe slowly and deeply from the belly so you can see it going up and down. Do this for 2-5 minutes.

This is a natural form of traction that helps to align the spine and allows soft tissue and connecting tissue (fascia) to relax.

While it is OK to crack the back, or any joint very occasionally, it is not a good idea to make it a regular occurrence. It eventually destroys cartilage, causes joints to enlarge, can cause ligaments to stretch out, etc.

Reply Reply