It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Sciatic condition 5 for 5 days now.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #16
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User
Re: Sciatic condition 5 for 5 days now.

I cannot stress enough that while you may hear of people bouncing back from lumbar spinal fusion in a few months time...I am convinced that is the exception rather than the rule. You have been opened up from both the front and the back. A number of muscles, soft tissue and fascia have been cut or moved. This all just takes awhile to heal...and then the real work begins. The body needs to learn a new way to move to compensate for the loss of mobility in the lumbar spine.

Yes everything I do now is a lot slower. I have to calculate my moves more. I just can't bend over anymore and pick it up. I have to get down on one knee. Then reach down with the side that is most comfortable. Or better yet use a grabber.

The nerves that were compressed were damaged. Depending on how long they were compressed, there can be scarring of the nerve itself.

Well, I waited 8 years to have this operation out of fear. So most likely probably the nerves are permanently dead. That's a long time to wait. That's when I started having numb feet was 8 years ago I used to get a lot of twitching in my feet my legs. Then that stopped. Now it started again ever since I've had the surgery. So maybe that's a good sign?

So for these reasons I encourage you to be patient and try to be optimistic and work to find some solutions to your
specific issues in recovery.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying. Did a lot of reflection the last couple days and I'm going to throttle way down and rest except for a walk each day. I might still try to do the once a week music job that I have. But if it keeps aggravating the situation, I'm going to have to tell the guys to get a replacement drummer until I get better. Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Our situations are similar in many ways. My first indication that I had a spine issue occurred in 2000 when two middle toes on my right foot started cramping, followed shortly thereafter by some numbness that occurred in both feet. I didn't develop sciatic pain until 2004-2005...and didn't find out these symptoms were connected until 2009!

It wasn't until 2010 that the "correct" spinal nerves were finally decompressed, even though I had my first surgery (fusing L4-5) in Jan, 2008. I do have some permanent nerve damage...but I am so much better than I was after that 3 level posterior surgery....and subsequent recovery. My feet will always be numb to some degree...and I've just been through lots of neurological testing so I know I do not have neuropathy...so it is just something I live with...and am grateful that it isn't getting worse!

I suggest you start doing that traction exercise every day, twice a day would be even better. Try it for one month and see if it doesn't help you! It only takes a few minutes each time and it will help your spine over-all, structural alignment and will help to reset the parasympathetic nervous system...which can help all those muscles that are guarding the injured area to relax.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5488307]Our situations are similar in many ways. My first indication that I had a spine issue occurred in 2000 when two middle toes on my right foot started cramping, followed shortly thereafter by some numbness that occurred in both feet. I didn't develop sciatic pain until 2004-2005...and didn't find out these symptoms were connected until 2009!

So, most likely I have permanent nerve damage. If I waited from 2010 to 2018, I doubt very much I'm going to get my feeling back in my feet. But like you I would be happy with what I have left over. I just don't want to end up in a wheelchair. Unless it's really is neuropathy, then I'm out of luck. I've been tested for diabetes numerous times which come back negative. We will see in time test no one can really pinpoint where it's coming from.

I suggest you start doing that traction exercise every day, twice a day would be even better.

Been doing them. I don't know if it's helping any but it sure feels good. Thank you so much.

Last edited by martinb8034; 09-10-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #19
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing? I hope things are slowly heading in the right direction!

Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5488796]Haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing? I hope things are slowly heading in the right direction![/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for asking. My condition really hasn't changed much. Still severe sciatica. Been resting a lot. Started physical therapy again this week, hoping that's going to do something. Go for short walks each day. Bought a used camera up in a pawn shop a couple weeks ago so gives me a good excuse to go out walk and take pictures. This sciatica thing, it's starting to wear on me I got a lot of twitching going on in my left buttocks. That's why I'm wondering if I have a pinched nerve still.

Last edited by martinb8034; 09-22-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #21
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry I don't recall these details and am too lazy to go back through old posts to find answers: when was your surgery date? Have you had a new MRI?

As I recall you live in San Francisco area...are you able to find a flat area to walk?

Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #22
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5488849]Sorry I don't recall these details and am too lazy to go back through old posts to find answers: when was your surgery date? Have you had a new MRI?

As I recall you live in San Francisco area...are you able to find a flat area to walk?[/QUOTE]

The date was March 28th 2018. No I haven't had an MRI again yet. I walk everyday short walks then come home and rest. My next visit with the doctor is in February 2019, but I don't think I'm going to be able to last that long. It is so bad today I can barely stand it. I cannot sit down at all for any measurable period of time. I'm back and physical therapy been doing stretching exercises every day. I just want to see if maybe I have this piriformis syndrome? Severe twitching in the left buttocks all day long. It's like the nervous in spasms or something. That's why I really need to get the MRI. I'm starting to think I picked the wrong surgeon. Although he got excellent reviews. I'm at wits end.

Last edited by martinb8034; 09-23-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #23
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Look...I'm basing my comments on my experiences...so always keep that in mind, but what you've been going through sounds very similar to my experiences after my first surgery (L4-5 PLIF).

It sounds like the PT/stretching are making things worse...causing worse sciatic nerve flare, etc. Your piriformis and other muscles in the sacral/buttocks area are probably inflamed. It would be very unusual to have a lower lumbar area suddenly immobilized without developing this type of issue.

When I had my L3-S1 fusion back in 2010 I had to start and stop physical therapy at least three times. At six months I found I had to back off everything and just walk. Even the simplest stretches were too much. I couldn't afford to allow my sciatic nerves to flare up...so I would drop back and stop most activities ...but it is important to keep moving...you can't just take to bed except for an occasional walk! I remember at a year out from surgery I was considering all sorts of things...piriformis syndrome among them. As I was beginning to walk more, I developed what I thought might be hip bursitis. I was considering *** injections, prolotherapy, etc.

The best thing for me was to just keep walking and at about 16 months out, the "hip bursitis" cleared, and I had no sciatic pain...as long as I avoided those activities that I knew caused it to flare. Just recently, after having mostly recovered from my 4th surgery last Sept. 28th, I went back to my PT (who only works with spine patients) because I wanted to really work on getting stronger and in better shape. What I discovered is that more than the average back surgery patient, I have to take things more slowly as I am more neurologically compromised. So I am just working much more slowly and carefully than I would have liked...but I am beginning to see some results and haven't caused myself any nerve flares or other issues.

You are still very early in recovery...six months isn't very long considering you really had two major surgeries! However, if I were you, I would push to get a new MRI. It is possible there is a hardware failure that is causing you additional pain.

Do you have new symptoms that you didn't have prior to surgery? Were things better for awhile and are now worsening or have you had these symptoms ever since surgery?

The doctor could prescribe a mild muscle relaxer that might help with the muscle twitching. I was extremely sensitive to one but found another that worked that I took after my last surgery when things were acting up!

Last edited by teteri66; 09-24-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #24
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

Have been taking Soma, one tablet at bedtime. So till then I guess I just have to be patient and hope this sciatic works it's what out.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-30-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #25
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Are you able to play the one time per week gig like you were doing?

You might try taking some of the B vitamins (6 and 12) that are helpful to nerves...also some people take Acetyl-L-Carnitine, lipoic acid and Inositol. It takes 3-12 months to see results from these types of supplements.

I still think you should try to get a new MRI!

Old 09-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5489102]Are you able to play the one time per week gig like you were doing?

Yes.

You might try taking some of the B vitamins (6 and 12) that are helpful to nerves...also some people take Acetyl-L-Carnitine, lipoic acid and Inositol. It takes 3-12 months to see results from these types of supplements.

I take a multi with all the b's complex, D, and a iron tablet each day.

I still think you should try to get a new MRI!

Will a MRI show if a nerve is being irritated?

Last edited by martinb8034; 09-30-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sometimes the amount of B vitamins in a multi vitamin are not enough to make a difference. Check the dosages.

A MRI would show if a nerve were being compressed or if hardware had slipped out of position or a screw was penetrating a nerve, etc.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #28
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

May I ask everyone what type mattress are you using after spine surgery? Right before surgery, I went out and purchased a brand new Beautyrest extra firm mattress top only. I had a lower bottom box spring from a Serta set that was practically brand new. It was a little too firm, so I bought 2 inch and a half toppers to put on top. But then I started to get a sinking hole down to where I sleep. So I took off the toppers. I'm going to try this tonight and see what happens.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #29
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

A MRI would show if a nerve were being compressed or if hardware had slipped out of position or a screw was penetrating a nerve, etc.[/QUOTE]

This something I am going to push for. But I have heard they might want to wait a year before they even start talking about a MRI well see.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

That one year would just be the doctor's preference...probably based on the idea that the surgeon doesn't want to admit that there is a remote possibility that something is amiss with his surgery. Often surgeons will insist on a person waiting six months post surgery. By that point, swelling is usually gone down and healing from the surgerical intervention has taken place.

Reply Reply