It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Sciatic condition 5 for 5 days now.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #31
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User
Re: Sciatic condition 5 for 5 days now.

Okay, I saw my surgeon yesterday about my ongoing sciatica condition. He was a little bewildered why I had this problem at 6 months. So we looked at the scenarios of what it could be. He said he can either be a screw irritating a nerve, which I highly doubt since he said if it was a screw it would have been bothering me probably from the start in the hospital. But this is 5 months later when I'm having the problem. I asked him about piriformis syndrome. He just told me that something that somebody made up and it's really just a myth. I know there's piriformis muscles but I don't think that's what the problem is. The other thing that it could be at 6 months my spine is starting to fuse and with increased activity I'm getting some aggravation. He wants to do a cortisone injection into the the s-1 area I believe. He also wants to do a CT scan to also rule out that there isn't any hardware that is irritating the nerve. In any event if there is hardware irritating the nerve inside, there is no way in hell that I'm going to have another surgery. I'll have to deal with the pain and just hope that in time it'll go away in the future. I asked him whether I should continue the physical therapy. He asked me if is it giving me any results? I said it's painful when I do them but I do get a little bit of relief. I have 5 more sessions to go. That's where I stand. I know I'll probably get some different opinions on this but this is what my surgeon is suggested to me. I know he was rated as one of the top 100 in the US so I'm taking his word that he knows what he's talking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #32
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Iím so glad you saw your surgeon. I hope you will have the CT scan. It is unlikely that it is the hardware...but if it checks out OK, it will be one less thing to worry about. I assume you will have the injection. When is that scheduled for?

Are you going to continue on with PT or wait for awhile to see if the nerve calms down?

Please donít make any arbitrary decisions about further surgeries! You donít know what the future holds. In my case, it took the third surgery to resolve my sciatic pain...all because what was causing nerve compression was not apparent on any imaging or testing that was done. It had nothing to do with the skill of the surgeons!

Old 10-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #33
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5489214]Iím so glad you saw your surgeon. I hope you will have the CT scan. It is unlikely that it is the hardware...but if it checks out OK, it will be one less thing to worry about. I assume you will have the injection. When is that scheduled for?

Had cortisone injection today in the sciatic area which is bothering me. I called the doctor's office about when they were going to schedule CT scan, and now they don't have anything on record that shows that that was even requested. Go figure. He specifically said that he wanted to do that. I'm going to see him in about 6 weeks and we'll see how then what what he wants to do. This will be the follow-up from the injection to see if the injection worked or not.

Are you going to continue on with PT or wait for awhile to see if the nerve calms down?

I cancelled the PT today do to this cortisone injection. I figured it was better just stay home and rest. I'm going to finish it out. I have four more sessions.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #34
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I am continuing with PT but I go about once every 3-4 weeks.

Did you get any relief after the injection?

Old 10-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #35
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5489421]I am continuing with PT but I go about once every 3-4 weeks.

Did you get any relief after the injection?[/QUOTE]

Yes!, the shot did help. But it still acts up at the end of the day when I get tired. Stretching helps. I hope this last...

Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #36
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sometimes all it takes is something to break the cycle. Try to avoid those movements, activities, etc. that you know cause the sciatic pain to flare. Often those injections are given in a set of three, several weeks apart. This helps to deal with residual inflammation.

Have you been able to resume your work?

Old 10-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #37
martinb8034
(male)

martinb8034 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5489442].

Have you been able to resume your work?[/QUOTE]
I thought I was ready for work, but my body is telling me different. I also started using a back brace. My lower lumbar has very little support...

Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #38
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is it an actual custom fitted brace or something you picked up on your own?

Did you decide to have a second injection?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #39
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

How are you doing? Do you feel like anything is changing?

Old 11-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #40
toprank
(male)

toprank HB User

[QUOTE=martinb8034;5489115]A MRI would show if a nerve were being compressed or if hardware had slipped out of position or a screw was penetrating a nerve, etc.[/QUOTE]

This something I am going to push for. But I have heard they might want to wait a year before they even start talking about a MRI well see.[/QUOTE]

MARTIN I am curious how much are you sleeping at night? I always say a good indicator of the pain is how much is someone able to sleep. When my sciatica was at its worst I could not sleep more than and hour or 2 per night. I could not walk more than 10 steps or stand longer than 20 seconds. Immediately following surgery I was 99% pain free, but my back is still not even close to 70%. I have some neuropathy that I think is another disc touching the nerve. I believe it was doing this pre surgery but the disc they repaired was not causing this feeling of numbness and tingling in both lower legs. They want to put it off on something else. Not saying I want another surgery but I feel like my legs will get worse and worse and my balance seems to be off. Guess I will wait and see what happens. The reason I know they are jerking me around is before surgery they said my L5-S1 disc was bad but not quite as bad as the L4-L5, I had an MRI a week ago now they say they don't see any issues with the L5-S1? How can that be.... it healed itself... no they just don want to admit they didn't fix both issues. Atleast I can sleep and out of excruciating pain... so cant complain.

Reply Reply